So pleased I found you!

Ann_W

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed T2 on the last day of September 2015 but had had a massive hint a couple of days before when I got a phone call from a receptionist at our practice to tell me that (following a recent routine blood test) the Dr wanted me to see the diabetic nurse. Interesting way to give someone a diagnosis, I thought. In some ways, I'm luckier than most because I'm a former nurse, my two brothers have T2, as did an aunt and my sister's in remission. Also, I was knocking on the door of gestational diabetes with both pregnancies so diagnosis didn't come as a colossal shock. I got the first appointment with the DN just a couple of days after the phone call which was good and I started my research immediately so was already armed when I went for the first time.

My A1c result was an eyeopener at 108 and the nurse was keen to get me onto medication straight away but I was able to persuade her that I had enough knowledge to let me give diet only a chance so she agreed to give me two months to start making a difference. In the meantime, during my researches, I came across this forum and I've never looked back - when I returned at the end of november, she was delighted with me, my A1c was down to 79 and my cholesterol doen from 6.2 to 5.1. She said she wouldn't have expected it to come down that far if I'd agreed to medication so we agreed on another appointment at the end of feb and she rang with my latest results a couple of days ago and this time my A1c was 66. The cholesterol was up a little again at 5.8 but I'm not too concerned about that as I understand that that can happen initially when you first follow LCHF. Last but not least, I've also lost 17lbs with about 8 more to go - brilliant when I can't exercise. And I'm still unmedicated :)

I'm hoping for even better results at my next appointment in May. Thank you all for giving your advice and tips so freely, I have learned so much over the last few months and will be happy to give back where I can.

Reactions: 8 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It's lovely when a when comes together ..:)

Reactions: 4 people

Sunny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done - the support on here is great isn't it? & it feels SO good when you get the results & the praise for doing so well!!!

Reactions: 3 people

artijayne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi you have done well. I was diagnosed with type 2 HbA1c 74 that was 2 months ago. Low carb diet and exercise with Metformin now hbA1c 58. Lost 10 lbs. keeping going feeling more cheerful with my recent results.

Reactions: 3 people

Ann_W

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi you have done well. I was diagnosed with type 2 HbA1c 74 that was 2 months ago. Low carb diet and exercise with Metformin now hbA1c 58. Lost 10 lbs. keeping going feeling more cheerful with my recent results.
Well done! It makes such a difference when you're gtting positive results. Keep up the gooe work

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi @Ann_W
They are fantastic results and I can't agree with you enough about the value of this forum
Well Done

Ann_W

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:happy:It's time to update this post. I've had my May results which were: Hba1c = 57, cholesterol = 5.4 and weight loss sitting at 23lbs. We've changed pratices so I've met my new nurse who asked me how I'd done it and when I said LCHF, she did a double fist pump and said "yes!!" Oh what joy to have a nurse who isn't just supportive but totally on board with what I'm doing :happy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people