8 Week Blood Sugar Diet

Mary_m

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm reading this book by Michael Moseley and it looks really exciting. I would like to give it a try and wondered if anybody is already doing this or can offer any advice??
Newly diagnosed, I was really disappointed recently when I attended the DESMOND course and the dietician there was adamant that diabetes cannot be reversed and the condition will get progressively worse over time - so this book gave me hope

Reactions: 2 people

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You have found a forum where many have defied the odds :D

Carbs reduction is the key to giving some respite to our impaired organs.

Reactions: 6 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Hello and welcome.
My BG levels have got better not worse since lovely people helped me on the forum,I also spent time reading round about eating the right foods.
I know I will always be diabetic but I now have safe BG levels.
All the best .

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi @Mary_m

I have done the Newcastle diet on which the book was based. I used shakes 3 x times a day and vegetables each evening total of 800 cal per day and did it for eight weeks. My daily blood levels moved to within normal levels within 4 weeks. I stop all meds after 3 weeks. I lost 16kg over the eight weeks and my HbA1c went from 95 to 41. I am continuing on a LCHF diet and I am expecting that my Type 2 will be reversed by my next HbA1c.

I took the diet very seriously and it took some will power but I was driven by the falling Blood Glucose levels and weight loss

Do you have a meter? I wouldn't be starting on the diet unless you do and have been taking readings for a couple of weeks otherwise you will not know how you are progressing.

Professor Taylor on who's work the diet is based insists Type 2 can be and has been reversed in some Type 2 Diabetics particularly if they have had it for 10 years or less

From my experience I would definitely do it. There are many here who can give you support and advice along the way

Cheers

Lorraine deer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Big crowds
Hello everyone , I get my HbA1c result tomorrow . I've done five weeks of the diet and lost a stone so far. I had a couple of wobbles but just got on with the diet the next morning.

Buxtonstill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Mary_m

I have done the Newcastle diet on which the book was based. I used shakes 3 x times a day and vegetables each evening total of 800 cal per day and did it for eight weeks. My daily blood levels moved to within normal levels within 4 weeks. I stop all meds after 3 weeks. I lost 16kg over the eight weeks and my HbA1c went from 95 to 41. I am continuing on a LCHF diet and I am expecting that my Type 2 will be reversed by my next HbA1c.

I took the diet very seriously and it took some will power but I was driven by the falling Blood Glucose levels and weight loss

Do you have a meter? I wouldn't be starting on the diet unless you do and have been taking readings for a couple of weeks otherwise you will not know how you are progressing.

Professor Taylor on who's work the diet is based insists Type 2 can be and has been reversed in some Type 2 Diabetics particularly if they have had it for 10 years or less

From my experience I would definitely do it. There are many here who can give you support and advice along the way

Cheers
Which shakes did you use?

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Post deleted by Moderator.
This can be discussed via PM rather than derailing the thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
I was diagnosed in 2014 as Type 2. I immediately went on the Newcastle diet, lost a lot of weight, learned to exercise and run, last HbA1c in January 2016 4.6. I eat normally, but very healthily. I have been removed from the diabetes register. My consultant is convinced that many of us can reverse. Now it is March 2016 and I am managing to maintain good BS levels and good weight and maintain exercise. But, we are all different and what works for one might not work for another. I have not had the courage to eat chocolate cake to see what happens to me! I behave like someone attending AA - one day at a time. This is a life-time commitment I think. It is really hard at times and even though I seem to have reversed I'm aware I'm not behaving normally - so, my aim this month is to be more adventurous with food and see what happens! Will let you know. Best of luck to those starting out on this journey - like me, you are lucky to have found this incredibly helpful forum.

Upperder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Mary and everyone, this is my first post so maybe a bit of background is appropriate. I waa diagnosed as type 2 in May 2006 at the age of 53.

Upperder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Continued!! Sorry
I have poodled along rather carelessly tbh but in January I discovered the 8 week bloid sugar diet book and I have been rejuvenated! I am just coming up to 7 weeks in and my weight has dropped from 10st 2lbs to 8st 12. My testing bloods daily have been between 4.6 and 6.5 (with only one over 9). It's not been easy-no potato, rice, pasta or beer but I reckoned that 8 weeks was attainable. I am thrilled with the success and I will never fall back into the old regime.

fobbletops

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm reading this book by Michael Moseley and it looks really exciting. I would like to give it a try and wondered if anybody is already doing this or can offer any advice??
Newly diagnosed, I was really disappointed recently when I attended the DESMOND course and the dietician there was adamant that diabetes cannot be reversed and the condition will get progressively worse over time - so this book gave me hope
I have been a Diabetic Type 2 for 10 years. My blood sugars have reached 19 at times. I work hard at controlling my BSl's but have been on Jardiance 25 mg and Diamicron 160 my at night.When I first was diagnosed I achieved a non-diabetes state with diet and exercise and kept that down for a few years but gradually it became worse.I had a bad bought of diarrhoea about 1 month ago. Initially my BSL's rose but as I couldn't eat much, I had to stop my meds for a few days and noticed my BSL's reducing. I lost a kg.Then at this time, I saw the catalyst documentary on Michael Mosley and purchased the book.I decided my body had started to impact my pancreas with the diet and fasting brought about by diarrhoea so I started trialling Michael Mosley's diet for about 1 week.I have lost a further 1 kg to 60.9kg. My weight is not large so do not need to lose weight for size purposes but if it drops my BSL's, that would be great. So what I have found is that on the whole my BSL's have reduced from 7-10 to 4.5-7.6., 5 out of the 7 days I have taken no diabetic meds on 5 of the days,taking Jardiance 25 mg for 2 days when my blood sugar rose to 10. These days I had had a sourdough bun with banana so not following his diet.

arrangranny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed T2 in November. Took the Metformin and was really ill over Christmas. The book was only published in December but I got a copy and it made so much sense. I came off Metformin followed the low carb diet - although not strictly as we were on holiday and both had 60th birthdays, so lots of celebrations going on! Never the less I have lost a 11kg (1st 10) in weight since January but more importantly my hba1c has dropped from 6.7 in October to 6 in February. Yesterday and today my blood sugar was 5.7 and 5.5 , 2 hours after lunch. I am now considering that I am dealing with a food intolerance so restrict that food group - carboydrates. However it is not a food allergy so if, on occassion, I want something I will have it or where there is no alternative I will eat carbs - but only very occassionly. It is a lifestyle change but easy to keep and is certainly better than Metformin!

Magisham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. I bought this book too and found it very interesting. It's my partner who's diabetic, but he hasn't got a clue about carbohydrates. Since Christmas his bloods have been around 12 to 15 and he's been very worried. He loves food and I didn't think he'd manage 8 weeks of restricted calories so I decided to do the 5:2 diet instead. I eat the same as him, so we both have 600 calories for 2 days each week. I have to say we have not found it difficult. I can't be doing with these shake things, I cook proper dinners. I only count calories for these 2 days and carefully weighed everything out until I got used to how many calories in a portion. I am quite creative with the dinners and we eat proper filling meals, e.g. low fat turkey curry with cauliflower rice, salmon with kale and mange tout, etc. I made a passable "soup" by shredding a couple of leeks and boiling it up in organic stock cube and "puddings" are things like fresh raspberries or sugar free jelly. It's amazing how far you can make the calories go. We tend to have porridge made with water and stevia sweetener for a late breakfast, then have dinner at 7ish. On the other days we tend to eat in a similar way, though if he wants a snack I let him have more or less what he wants. The main change is that we don't have carbohydrates. No potatoes, no rice, no pasta. Really, nothing made from grains and very few root vegetables. The exception is a slice of Burgen Soya and Linseed bread sometimes with some scrambled egg on for breakfast. But we eat fat. He loves peanut butter, hummus, nuts, tins of sardines, olives, avocados, etc. We have been doing this for almost 4 weeks now. We have both lost 4 kg and his blood was 5.1 this morning. We are both very pleased with the results, especially as we are still eating really well and I still get to cook nice food. So give it a go, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Reactions: 4 people

WillRoberts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Started the 800 cal diet 7 weeks ago immediately after diagnosis. Lost 2 stones and BG back to normal. Stopped meds after 2 days. Surprisingly, the new regime has proved much easier than expected. What Mosley says about the addictive nature of carbs has turned out to be true for me. They just make you hungry. Cut out bread and everything else made from flour and hunger melts away.
Now looking forward to losing more weight and saying goodbye to T2 forever.
Can't recommend it highly enough.

Lorraine deer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Big crowds
Happy results day for me , HbA1c 7.4%
Blood pressure 122/76
Cholesterol 3.5
The only thing the Doctor wasn't happy with was kidney function 48, so I have to get retested in a month.