Levels dropping quickly

koicarp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

The other day I tested at 4.15pm and was 8.6, then I tested again after only 15mins and was 5.9.

Surely I shouldn't have dropped so much in such a short space of time? I didn't do anything too energetic other than walking to my car which was only a 2 min walk.

Thanks

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Is it possible that your first test was a false reading, did you wash your hands on both occasions?

Reactions: 2 people

koicarp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I washed my hands on both occasions.

I also have something else going on the nurses are scratching their heads about, where I go to sleep at 8 or 11mmol and a few hours later I'm finding myself waking up at 3.2-3.4. This is after a regular, pretty chilled out day.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hiya Koi,

That sounds odd, can you give more of a picture, so what are your daily results like, when do you eat and what are you eating ? Have you been experiencing dips like this for long ? Try and provide a full picture if you can.

Also any lumps around sites, do you rotate sites much ?

Not a doctor but it may provide more clues ;)

Reactions: 4 people

kelp84

As juicy says .... May be worth looking at what you are eating ... There are some foods that push my levels up then crash them down! Also at bedtime .... How long before bed are you eating? And what do you have for dinner?

One thing I have learnt about diabetes is although it can be a nightmare to manage normally most things (spikes and dips) have a cause sometimes it is really hard to figure it out ( as you may need to eliminate all the factors)

Good luck :)

Reactions: 7 people

koicarp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all,

This is what the diabetic nurse asked me too. I rotate my sites, don't have any lumps. On the Saturday I had a regular shepherds pie and a banana for after, on the Sunday I had chicken in breadcrumbs with sautéed potatoes and a yoghurt after.
I wasn't that active on the Saturday but was on the Sunday.

I'm still on the Novomix 30 twice a day, 18 units in the morning before breakfast and 8 units before dinner.

Generally I'll eat at around 6-7pm and I'm in bed by midnight.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It could well be meter inaccuracy. Occasionally a test strip is dodgy, or soaks up the wrong amount of blood. Unless it's a pattern I wouldn't worry about it.

If it is happening often then try to get your hands on a Freestyle Libre, could be enlightening.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Unfortunately your regime doesn't give you much flexibility, can you ask to look at doing multiple daily injections and carb count for your insulin ? I find my insulin requirements change with the weather, however I can adapt my insulin requirements to suit, twice a day is hard to manage if your are exercising more, eating more etc, so you will benefit greatly from the flexibility if you are ok with that.

Reactions: 2 people