Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Happy results day for me , HbA1c 7.4%
Blood pressure 122/76
Cholesterol 3.5
The only thing the Doctor wasn't happy with was kidney function 48, so I have to get retested in a month.
Fantastic Results Lorraine Keep it up

Reactions: 2 people

fobbletops

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes ,I believe Michael Mosley is on the right track. I am also doing most of the things you said.Also love all the good food ,fruit ,veg,meat,eggs so pretty easy to give up bread,rice,pasta ,potatoes and cakes,biscuits etc. I haven't drunk soft drink or cordial for years.

Paullhedge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
T2 and I'm in week 6 of the 8 week blood sugar diet and I am impressed. My wife (not diabetic) decided to join me as she wanted to loose some weight and now is more of a convert to it than me. (she has lost over a stone) I've dropped from 15 stone to 13.4 and my blood sugar has dropped to an average of 5.3 (fasting). At the end of the diet I will experiment and see what happens when I stop taking Metformin. My blood pressure has dropped dramatically, so much so, that I sometimes feel giddy if I stand up quickly so I will try stopping the blood pressure tabs as well. I'm keeping a record of daily blood readings and BP so that if things work out fine I can take them to my GP as proof.

Reactions: 4 people

Magisham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Started the 800 cal diet 7 weeks ago immediately after diagnosis. Lost 2 stones and BG back to normal. Stopped meds after 2 days. Surprisingly, the new regime has proved much easier than expected. What Mosley says about the addictive nature of carbs has turned out to be true for me. They just make you hungry. Cut out bread and everything else made from flour and hunger melts away.
Now looking forward to losing more weight and saying goodbye to T2 forever.
Can't recommend it highly enough.
You are right about the hunger thing. I can honestly say I have only felt hungry once or twice, usually if we've had an earlier breakfast.

Reactions: 2 people

ARB1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone

This is my first post so please bear with me if anything happens!

I have been T1 diabetic since 1989 and my weight has steadily been climbing to the point where losing 4 stones would be brilliant (and I still wouldn't be skinny!!!). This diet seems to be working very well for T2s but does anyone have any experience of how effective / recommended it is for T1s?

Technology newbie

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Hi everyone

I have been T1 diabetic since 1989 and my weight has steadily been climbing to the point where losing 4 stones would be brilliant (and I still wouldn't be skinny!!!). This diet seems to be working very well for T2s but does anyone have any experience of how effective / recommended it is for T1s?

Technology newbie

I'm sorry, I can't help you with that - I don't think I've heard of a T1 doing ND or the BSD. Sorry. :)

ijcrowland

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm reading this book by Michael Moseley and it looks really exciting. I would like to give it a try and wondered if anybody is already doing this or can offer any advice??
Newly diagnosed, I was really disappointed recently when I attended the DESMOND course and the dietician there was adamant that diabetes cannot be reversed and the condition will get progressively worse over time - so this book gave me hope
Hi there, I read this book too with great interest and thought I would do this as it was only for 8 weeks. However I mentioned it to 2 different doctors at my local surgery and both said they thought it was too drastic. They did however suggest that the 5.2 diet would be better. That book too is by Michael Moseley. I am going to try that instead because I also believe that for only 2 days a week I would be able to cope with less calories and be able to stick to the plan knowing that the next day I would be able to have whatever....... Good luck if you try the 8 week option.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
T2 and I'm in week 6 of the 8 week blood sugar diet and I am impressed. My wife (not diabetic) decided to join me as she wanted to loose some weight and now is more of a convert to it than me. (she has lost over a stone) I've dropped from 15 stone to 13.4 and my blood sugar has dropped to an average of 5.3 (fasting). At the end of the diet I will experiment and see what happens when I stop taking Metformin. My blood pressure has dropped dramatically, so much so, that I sometimes feel giddy if I stand up quickly so I will try stopping the blood pressure tabs as well. I'm keeping a record of daily blood readings and BP so that if things work out fine I can take them to my GP as proof.
Sensational results and reward for hard work.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi everyone

Technology newbie
Hi ARB1

Welcome and congratulations on your first post. Unfortunately I am a type 2 so can't really give you advice here. Perhaps start a thread in the Diabetes One section or look thru it to see if there have been any previous threads about Type 1 and 8 week diet
Cheers

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am T 1 and though I am not specifically doing the diet because I haven't read the book, I am eating roughly 800cals or less a day and have reduced my insulin by about 60%. The main thing I reduced was fat. Mostly excess mayo and nuts. I am eating 3 small meals and my main foods are avocado fish, poultry,eggs and salad greens, celery and radishes. I lost 7 pounds in the 1st 2 weeks but am stalled. I really only want to lose 3-5 more so those last few pounds may take some time.
The interesting thing is finding out how much fat made me insulin resistant. Always discovering new things...

Mary_m

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Continued!! Sorry
I have poodled along rather carelessly tbh but in January I discovered the 8 week bloid sugar diet book and I have been rejuvenated! I am just coming up to 7 weeks in and my weight has dropped from 10st 2lbs to 8st 12. My testing bloods daily have been between 4.6 and 6.5 (with only one over 9). It's not been easy-no potato, rice, pasta or beer but I reckoned that 8 weeks was attainable. I am thrilled with the success and I will never fall back into the old regime.

Hi Upperder
Many thanks for list. Do you have any menu plans or meal ideas I could try? Or do you just avoid the foods/drink you mentioned above?

Look forward to hearing from you

Mary_m

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Hi There
Can you give me some examples of the meals you are eating?
Many thanks!