Update

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaning for moanings sake!!
Hi everyone,
Not had good news today from blood tests last week my hb1c has risen from 47 to 50 and my colesteol up from 4.3 to 4.9 am continuing with lchf but had a very occasional bit of rice or slice of garlic bread at the odd party but only about once a month! Im gutted

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yes but think where it may have been if not doing lchf. We just have to keep slogging away and we will get there eventually.
Do not be too downhearted.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@amanda19640 - Hi. The occasional slice of garlic bread and rice is not going to do any harm. Don't beat yourself up at your results today = 50 is not too bad! Are you testing before and 2 hours after meals?:)

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah, it is dis-heartening though. Mine went up last time but I had 2 chest infections quite close together, which I think was the main culprit. Don't feel too bad, just keep slogging away! ;)

Reactions: 4 people

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@amanda19640 - Hi. The occasional slice of garlic bread and rice is not going to do any harm. Don't beat yourself up at your results today = 50 is not too bad! Are you testing before and 2 hours after meals?:)
Yes and my readings are good im now on blood pressure tabs wonder of they effect bloods?

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ah, it is dis-heartening though. Mine went up last time but I had 2 chest infections quite close together, which I think was the main culprit. Don't feel too bad, just keep slogging away! ;)
I will thanks

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like you may have Carb Creep happening.
How many g carbs are you eating a day?

What was your cholesterol breakdown?
The surgery should be able to give it to you over the phone, and it is worth asking for a print out of all your tests when you have your next appointment.

I am afraid that total cholesterol tells you absolutely nothing about the health of your cholesterol. It is all down to the ratios.

Was it a fasting test?
And what were the triglycerides?
Those are very important questions.

Raised triglycerides is usually a sign that you are eating too many carbs for your body to cope with, and usually drops when you reduce them.

Also worth bearing in mind that women seem to benefit from higher cholesterol than men, and that the lowest all-cause mortality seen is at 5.2 (maybe 5.4) in light of which, I personally would be wanting my total chol higher, not lower.

It all comes down to the detail.

Last edited by a moderator:

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@amanda19640 - I don't think ? Blood Pressure tablets affect blood sugars? There should be a information leaflet in the box of tablets, have a read through and see. I take 3 tablets a day for Blood Pressure but had the blood pressure long before Diabetes. appeared 16 years ago.:)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,
Not had good news today from blood tests last week my hb1c has risen from 47 to 50 and my colesteol up from 4.3 to 4.9 am continuing with lchf but had a very occasional bit of rice or slice of garlic bread at the odd party but only about once a month! Im gutted

Amanda, I've written a bit on here of late about variations on HbA1c scores, over time. No matter how well we eat, and how much we try to look after ourselves, there are times when life gets in the way of all of that.

I can't see anywhere that would help me understand if your 47 was your diagnostic score, the one after or several reviews down the line?

My signature shows my last two HbA1c rose by 2 points, relative to the one immediately before that, but in the time spanning those tests there was a lot going on in my life that I couldn't avoid and may have impacted me, in the creeping, silent ways - emotional and physical stress can impact bloods, as can infection, insomnia and a million and one other things.

I'd go along with @Brunneria 's suggestions that you review your consumption patterns, which should be simple if you still keep a diary, to reassure yourself that your feeling for how often the bread or rice is in your diet, or any other carbs you wouldn't have eaten previously.

A shift of 3 points isn't massive. Nobody wants an upward shift, but one thing is for sure, whilst we can grasp control of this condition, we can't ever grasp complete control. As I say, life can get in the way.

Maintenance is the hard bit, as you are finding, so review and if necessary re-cut your strategy. There's no need to go into a decline over this, but treat it as the trigger to review what and how you're doing.

Good luck with it all.

Reactions: 2 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@amanda19640 I'm betting your winter hba1c result is going to be higher than a summer one. For a whole load of reasons.
Mine will be.

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Amanda, I've written a bit on here of late about variations on HbA1c scores, over time. No matter how well we eat, and how much we try to look after ourselves, there are times when life gets in the way of all of that.

I can't see anywhere that would help me understand if your 47 was your diagnostic score, the one after or several reviews down the line?

My signature shows my last two HbA1c rose by 2 points, relative to the one immediately before that, but in the time spanning those tests there was a lot going on in my life that I couldn't avoid and may have impacted me, in the creeping, silent ways - emotional and physical stress can impact bloods, as can infection, insomnia and a million and one other things.

I'd go along with @Brunneria 's suggestions that you review your consumption patterns, which should be simple if you still keep a diary, to reassure yourself that your feeling for how often the bread or rice is in your diet, or any other carbs you wouldn't have eaten previously.

A shift of 3 points isn't massive. Nobody wants an upward shift, but one thing is for sure, whilst we can grasp control of this condition, we can't ever grasp complete control. As I say, life can get in the way.

Maintenance is the hard bit, as you are finding, so review and if necessary re-cut your strategy. There's no need to go into a decline over this, but treat it as the trigger to review what and how you're doing.

Good luck with it all.
Thanks for reply, is diagnistic 1 first number was diagnosed with? If so was 63 last july then oct was 49 then december was 47 so to shoot up to 50 was a shock when i havnt really changed anything

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for reply, is diagnistic 1 first number was diagnosed with? If so was 63 last july then oct was 49 then december was 47 so to shoot up to 50 was a shock when i havnt really changed anything

Amanda - A change of 3 isn't really material in my personal view.

I have given myself a window I am content to run within to allow some variations, for life. Whatever we do, I don't believe we would keep going down and down and down, unless we continued to eat better (could be a decent thing to do), but also to eat less and probably end up very thin.

I think we all have a zone in which our bodies find their new comfort zone. Maybe your 47-50 is around that zone?

If you maybe take some time to look at some of the long termers on the forum, you'll notice their variations. As we have lots of newbies, or those with a limited history, we may not see the full picture. Which of us can be certain that any person leaving here, having achieved stellar results, is still doing that in 6, 12, 24 months, never mind years? I know I wouldn't put much pocket money on it, without some form of buffer zone.

Maybe a thread asking for views could be beneficial to all of us?

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sounds like you may have Carb Creep happening.
How many g carbs are you eating a day?

What was your cholesterol breakdown?
The surgery should be able to give it to you over the phone, and it is worth asking for a print out of all your tests when you have your next appointment.

I am afraid that total cholesterol tells you absolutely nothing about the health of your cholesterol. It is all down to the ratios.

Was it a fasting test?
And what were the triglycerides?
Those are very important questions.

Raised triglycerides is usually a sign that you are eating too many carbs for your body to cope with, and usually drops when you reduce them.

Also worth bearing in mind that women seem to benefit from higher cholesterol than men, and that the lowest all-cause mortality seen is at 5.2 (maybe 5.4) in light of which, I personally would be wanting my total chol higher, not lower.

It all comes down to the detail.
It wasnt a fasting test and will ask for a print out when i get app. Receptionist said my liver function was normal though. Thanks 4 reply

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Amanda - A change of 3 isn't really material in my personal view.

I have given myself a window I am content to run within to allow some variations, for life. Whatever we do, I don't believe we would keep going down and down and down, unless we continued to eat better (could be a decent thing to do), but also to eat less and probably end up very thin.

I think we all have a zone in which our bodies find their new comfort zone. Maybe your 47-50 is around that zone?

If you maybe take some time to look at some of the long termers on the forum, you'll notice their variations. As we have lots of newbies, or those with a limited history, we may not see the full picture. Which of us can be certain that any person leaving here, having achieved stellar results, is still doing that in 6, 12, 24 months, never mind years? I know I wouldn't put much pocket money on it, without some form of buffer zone.

Maybe a thread asking for views could be beneficial to all of us?
Yes good idea, thanks 4 reply it makes sense.

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There are pages on the Intergoogle saying that Lisinoprill can affect Blood Glucose, as can most ACE Inhibitors

http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/lisinopril-oral-route/precautions/drg-20069129

Lisinopril does affect blood sugars, in my case it reduced them at night especially, so many other bad effects had to stop so dont know whether this would have continued, had good discussion with pharmacist. They are very helpful re things like this - they know a lot more than GPs about side effects of the medicines they dispense.

amanda19640

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes i spoke to pharmasist today he said they would reduce bs if anything, got doc in morning so will report back. Thanks everyone xx