Sugar tax

angie92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So in 2018 the sugar tax shall be in forced what does that mean for us diabetic that need the sugary drinks to survive???

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
You don't have to rely on sugary drinks. Glucose tabs and jelly babies work just as well.

Edit: There is no tax on fruit juice.

Reactions: 5 people

angie92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Only sugary drinks work quicker for me I tried jelly babies etc and dextros but they don't act that quick and I use to end up eating nearly a whole packet of them

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
It's an extra 25p a litre. Not the end of the world, surely?

Reactions: 7 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Only sugary drinks work quicker for me I tried jelly babies etc and dextros but they don't act that quick and I use to end up eating nearly a whole packet of them

Wow. So how were your levels an hour or two later..?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
In what way? How is that policed? Cost?

You never hand to government a control you can take care of yourself.

Reactions: 4 people

saraD1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My diabetes
I'm a type1 brittle diabetic I suffer with extreme hypo's I'm unaware of and lucozade is the only thing that will put my sugar up quickly so no doing cheaper options it's a matter of life and death and that's what the government is doing playing with everyone and this time he has it Diabetes I'd say that was being racists.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a type1 brittle diabetic I suffer with extreme hypo's I'm unaware of and lucozade is the only thing that will put my sugar up quickly so no doing cheaper options it's a matter of life and death and that's what the government is doing playing with everyone and this time he has it Diabetes I'd say that was being racists.

Whoooah. Don't go there...!?! Diabetes is a condition that needs constant managing & affects anyone. It doesn't discriminate.. ;)

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm a type 1 diabetic and I buy lucozade when it is on sale and stock up. I don't understand why we should expect lucozade to almost be on prescription when you can get glucagon or certain sugar gels?

I lost weight doing low carb diet and had to buy new clothes - I can't turn around and expect someone to pay / subsidise for my new clothes.

Reactions: 4 people
C

catherinecherub

An explanation of racism. It does not apply when discussing the sugar tax. I think you meant to say that diabetics were being discriminated against?

1. Full Definition of racism. 1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race. 2 : racial prejudice or discrimination.
  2. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racism

S

Sean01

So in 2018 the sugar tax shall be in forced what does that mean for us diabetic that need the sugary drinks to survive???
Same question on LBC yesterday. Seek out alternatives - jelly babies, glucose tabs etc. Less bloating and burping too. From experience - using jelly babies in Marathons, they don't unsettle you. I could not imagine slurping coke for 26 miles. Hope this helps.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I did buy a few in only to find that they had run out of date when i wanted one lol... and as for eating a packet full of jelly babies cos I love them sadly my levels would be sky high in a couple of hours time so just 4 would haveto surfice