An underweight type 2

brendan998

is there any specific advice for a type 2 who is underweight and loses weight very easily. So much is geared to losing weight.

Cheers

Brendan

dinosaur

from memory being underweight is having a bmi of under 18 which is extremely thin.

do you mean you are under the bmi for your height ?

25.0 or anything under is considered perfect and you have to go a long way down to be underweight on there chart.

not that i persoanlly think the charts should be used as the be all and end all of guides.

in my experience the lighter you are with type 2 the more prone to feeling **** ,albeit i have thyroid problems and it might be that and not the type 2 .

more knowledgable posters than me would advise you, but of my friends and myself who are type 2 or type 1 who are thin , we all have more hypo`s than all my mates who are plus sizes ,who to my knowledge have never had any hypo`s for years at a time.

my doctors also just stopped my metformin because of me having hypo`s .

the results what your doctors want to see , seem to please them , but personaly i felt much better in myself before i was ever diagnosed and having to follow the type 2 regime.

If you lose weight easily and are thin already, you most probably have an overactive thyroid.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am also an under weight type 2 Ihave been on 5 x500 met since August trying very hard to get my bs down Low carb and exercise are helping but not with increasing weight.I havent lost any more weight but it is very frustrating reading posts about good weight loss .We skinnies must stick together and encourage one another.If we gain any weight POST IT. C

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Many years ago, more than I care to remember ! I was too light for the career I wanted. I was just 9 1/2 stone. I needed to get to 10 stone. So, I just had three square meals a day, every day for about 3 months....I put on a stone. That allowed me to achieve my goal.

Now I wasn't a Diabetic then......however the premise is still the same. Having regard to your Bg levels you can always eat more of the things that DON'T increase your Bg levels but will help you put on weight or maintain it. It all comes back to upping the Calorie intake. You can still eat low carb but you need to read the part of the labels which state Calories. Try that for a month and see if there is a difference ?

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anyone have a list of foods to put on weight that dont put up bs and dont higher cholesterol levels?

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi Brendan
There's very little advice for the underweight T2, all I can get from DUK is a diet maintenance menu that is top heavy with carbs and very low in fat, which if I followed would send my BG soaring, that's not an option. One of my big problems is snacks I need to see BG levels 2hrs after meals in the low 6s if not better otherwise I'm very limited to what I can eat between meals.

I follow a Low Carb High Fat diet which helps maintain my weight, but unfortunately even though I have large portion sizes of everything but carbs I can't gain (BMI around 20.5), on the plus side my cholesterol levels have improved and I'm holding good BG levels without medications 20 months on since diagnosis.

Graham

dinosaur

carty said:
Anyone have a list of foods to put on weight that dont put up bs and dont higher cholesterol levels?

i am type 2 and i eat a large bowl approx 80 g of porridge with 1 normal sized cup of water and 1 normal size cup of skimmed milk as the mix.
morrisons long life brand is what i use.

then when its made i have half a cup of semi skimmed milk(long life morrisons) as the topping with about 1 big spoons of morrisons slimming sweetner until its gone and then just keep topping up the sweetner until i finish it.

about 5 big spoons is my norm.

then midday to after noon i cut up half a large french stick(white) and have it with either the skinny ham/turkey/chicken/take your pick thin slices that are out there 20 to 40 slices a pack variety`s or laughing cow cheese and have a quarter of the french stick with a cup of coffee about 2 hours apart .

then something like iceland or morrisons black pepper chicken 1/& 1/2 pieces with some low cholesterhal oven chips and half a large tin of beans.

at night treat with say morrisons diabetic ice cream in 2 wafers.

i have the odd bannana now and then , and drink about a litre of no sugar drinks a day.

after that its due to how much walking /work or exercise you do in a day to weight loss, but i stay the same weight every month on such a diet and while i have not got a clue to my B/G straight after food , my last 3 hb1ac`s on such a diet have been 5.1 / 5.2 / 5.1/ and my cholesteral is 2.2 last time it was checked 6 months ago.

i also eat things like home made apple pies made with the same sweetner and no sugar custard as a treat as well.

i hate veg always have , and am not a great fruit eater either .
also i like white french sticks over brown so i break a lot of the rules which we get told are advisable , but it never ever shows up in any hb1ac , to such an extent they have taken me of my medication after reading 21.6 when diagnosed.

RichardJan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am only recently diagnosed having been unintentionally losing weight for years - accelerated during the last three months. My Hb1Ac was 12.5 at diagnosis.
Adding some weight and controlling blood sugar with minimal meds is my objective.

Reactions: Freema

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
13 low carb high calorie foods.

1. Natural Peanut Butter (Cashew and Almond Butters as Well)
Per 2 tbsps – Calories: 188kcal | Fat: 16.12g | Carbs: 6.26g | Protein: 8.03g

2. Raw Milk
Per 1 cup – Calories: 146kcal | Fat: 7.93g | Carbs: 11.03g | Protein: 7.86g

3. Macadamia Nuts (also Almonds and Cashews)
Per 1 oz (10-12 kernels) – Calories: 204kcal | Fat: 21.48g | Carbs: 3.92g | Protein: 2.24g

4. Shredded Cheese
Per 1/4 cup – Calories: 110kcal | Fat: 9.00g | Carbs: 1.00g | Protein: 7.00g

5. Bacon
Per 3 medium slices – Calories: 311kcal | Fat: 30.63g | Carbs: 0.45g | Protein: 7.89g

6. Coconut
Per 1 cup of shredded – Calories: 283kcal | Fat: 26.79g | Carbs: 12.18g | Protein: 2.66g

7. Avocado
Per 1 avocado, NS as to Florida or California – Calories: 322kcal | Fat: 29.47g | Carbs: 17.15g | Protein: 4.02g

8. Pork Rinds
Per 27 peices – Calories: 270kcal | Fat: 18.00g | Carbs: 0.00g | Protein: 29.00g

9. Olive Oil
Per 1 tbsp – Calories: 120kcal | Fat: 14.00g | Carbs: 0.00g | Protein: 0.00g

10. Yogurt
Per 1 cup – Calories: 170kcal | Fat: 9.00g | Carbs: 12.00g | Protein: 9.00g

11. Ribeye Steak
Per 4 oz – Calories: 280kcal | Fat: 20.00g | Carbs: 0.00g | Protein: 22.00g

12. Chicken Wings
Per 3 wings – Calories: 216kcal | Fat: 15.00g | Carbs: 0.00g | Protein: 18.00g

13. Cheeseburger (no bun)
Per 1 burger – Calories: 280kcal | Fat: 20.00g | Carbs: 3.00g | Protein: 20.00g

Reactions: Freema