Type 2 Oatbran

mallins

Hi

Does anyone know if oatbran is high in carbs? I've just been looking at the Dukan Diet recipes and they seem to use a lot of it.

Cheers

Mallins

C

chris lowe

According to the Collins Gem carb counter about 60.4 carbs but check out the info on the packet. You may find the carbs vary according to fine or medium oat ran

mallins

According to the Collins Gem carb counter about 60.4 carbs but check out the info on the packet. You may find the carbs vary according to fine or medium oat ran
Thanks
It's just that I had the feeling oatbran was quite high in carbs and that the Dukan diet was a low carb diet so I'm a bit confused. They have a recipe for pancakes that I wanted to try out but not sure if it will spike the old sugars!

C

chris lowe

Just test before & a couple of hours after. If they cause a spike you know not to try again

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Simple answer is - oatbran is horrendously high in carbs...86% of the product is carbohydrate! I cannot begin to see how it would do anything other than increase blood sugar level. This is way more than cornflakes or other sugar flavoured cardboard....I sometimes risk a small bowl of all bran (the lowest carbs/slowest GI for a cereal I can find) and I always regret it! So personally, I'd say skip it.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Test, as there is a mixture of digestible carbs, and non digestible fibre, depending on which numbers you run with. I find it can be ok in some recipes.

mallins

Simple answer is - oatbran is horrendously high in carbs...86% of the product is carbohydrate! I cannot begin to see how it would do anything other than increase blood sugar level. This is way more than cornflakes or other sugar flavoured cardboard....I sometimes risk a small bowl of all bran (the lowest carbs/slowest GI for a cereal I can find) and I always regret it! So personally, I'd say skip it.
Wow...... thanks for that.

I'm surprised it's used in the Dukan Diet as that's supposed to be low carb.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a tablespoon of oatbran with my hot oat cereal during the week and it doesn't affect my BS however the only way to know how it will affect you is to test as we are all different re our food/carb tolerances.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow...... thanks for that.

I'm surprised it's used in the Dukan Diet as that's supposed to be low carb.
I did Dukan some years ago.. I think the oat bran is to keep you regular and fill you up in the morning.. It's not a diet for blood glucose control though so I don't think I would recommend it for that, There are much better eating regimes around to bring your blood sugar levels down.