Dr tried to stop test strips

tezza

im type two and also can not get lancets,so i have yet another apointment with doc on thursday to argue the point ,(i carnt aford to buy them,this is my health and life you are playing with) :( i hope to grind them down into saying ,(yes you can have lancets,meter just to shut me up) :) i have a loud voice when i want. :lol:

ham79

Dislikes
diabetes and cbeebies
As some people sell their monitors, strips & stuff on ebay (info from a nurse) why don't we who get these things freely set up a swap shop type affair for no moneys just rubbish jokes and good advise as a means to an end I'd quite happily pass on some excess's for a good knock knock joke mines are older than me. Also type in free monitors to google see what you get

wpaisley

If you are on Gliclazide you have a great chance of getting hypos. I have been informed that if your Bg is below 3.9 (by an MP at the House of Commons) it is illegal to drive. I go to the gym and always test my Bg after exercising. On many occations it is below 3.9. I need to test for safety reasons. The nice guidlines say that people of glucose lowering drugs should be able to test for safety reasons.

kentishman

I am t2 and had very high readings. An uncrease of rosiglitazone and stringent low carb diet has brought the average down to 5.5 but I have to test twice a day as I had a couple of hypos at night.By careful testing I found what increased the level and what I could eat. Some strange results.Bread and baked beans caused a high reading; potatos were fine. I am allowed one box of strips per month and will have to top up on Ebay as I use 60 a month.
One thing is for sure, good tresting has given me good control. Without testing I would not know where I was.
Doctors could cut costs more easilly by not giving antibiotics to every sniffle that comes into the surgery and by not prescribing medication to every patient knowing that their illness will get better on its own.

jocat44

Hi all,
I went today for an induction at the gym at my local leisure centre as a medical referal. When I arranged the appointment I was told I needed to bring my blood testing stuff. As soon as I sat down today the man asked me to do a reading, no problem with this. It is documented on the paperwork that I ahve to test prior to being allowed to exercise each time I go, plus at other times if necessary. How does this fit in with the restrictions from GP's.
My mum is now saying she won't ask for a referral (she's also diabetic) because at the moment she doesn't test and the surgery refused to give her a meter. They refused me a meter but I jumped up and down and was very definite and they relented. I have said I will do the same on mum's behalf but she is reluctant.
It just makes me so cross that they are playing with our health like this. I also find episodes like today confusing, I ahve been referred to the gym by my GP, the staff at the gym are saying I will need to test 2-3 times and then the GP is reluctant to give strips. I top up my strips on ebay and at the moment as long as I don't order more than once a month I can request 50 strips on perscription. All this and I am on metformin SR which doesn't cause the bg problems surpossedly that other meds do. Sorry rant over for now!
Jo :?

FordPrefect

Unfortunetly the problem we need the medical establishment to agree as the government aren't going to change the official NHS guidance until the medical profession do.

poole2006

Dislikes
Blood sugar readings.
Frankly I think it is disgraceful that T2 diabetics are being refused test strips. Surely it is cheaper to prescribe them in the long run as people who have poorly controlled diabetes develop vaarious other issues. Being a T1 diabetic and testing up to six times a day, I have never come across this issue, but I think it is quite disgraceful.

FordPrefect

poole2006 said:
Frankly I think it is disgraceful that T2 diabetics are being refused test strips. Surely it is cheaper to prescribe them in the long run as people who have poorly controlled diabetes develop vaarious other issues. Being a T1 diabetic and testing up to six times a day, I have never come across this issue, but I think it is quite disgraceful.

The problem is the studies that have been done have shown no benefit from T2's having a meter except for prevention when on hypo inducing medication. Maybe someone on the forum should arrange for a study with peeps on here who use there meter positively :)

It really does suck the problems that some of you have getting strips tho. I just submitted my repeat prescription for 51 strips and even tho I had my last lot about 3 weeks ago had no problems getting the repeat. Personally I am glad of them as they let me see what different foods do, my hba1c dropped from 9.2 to 7.2 because of that although I started pioglitzone at the same time I dont think it had any effect as I was using the meter first and was already down to averaging 8 just from understanding what foods were doing what to me and my blood sugar.

carlos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
people with no sense of humor and take life to serious
i had no problems gettin test strips on presc when was on medicaition but told wen stopped taking medicaition no longer needed to test as everything was fine will find out in a couple of wks if hes correct wen go bck to see him but it is annoying and you should be allowed at least fifty a month as i do feel the need to test when not on meds is a must but not as severe or frequent as when on meds

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I buy off Ebay as well. Always check sellers reliability and that the test strips are advertised as sealed and with a long use by date.
Be wary of multiple buys that actually cost more than the strips would cost in the chemist ! I generally go for buy it now as the bids can go to silly numbers on occasion !

benniesmum

Dislikes
My Doc right now
I'm lucky as I get strips, no problem (at the moment).

But I did get told by the pharmacist that I tested too often! I test every weekday morning
and after every gym session. And again if I'm ill.

Maybe the answer is to hit them where it hurts: their costs. Time costs money, so just keep making appointments with your doctor until they give in! If you feel uncomfortable with this, just pick a different benefit each time (from this forum) to take with you. Or see a different doctor in your practice each time.

Best of luck.

rpage

It's ridiculous and odious to not give Type 2 patients test strips to self manage their BG levels. Early management will avoid or delay future complications such as switching to Insulin (expensive), amputations, kidney transplants etc.

NICE appear to appreciate that the cost/benefit analysis shows it is wiser to self manage with test strips BUT the government is being duplicitous by allowing PCT's to decide - hence the post code lottery when the PCT cuts costs.

Wait to see what happens now the PCTs are being replaced by Practice Consortiums - who will be looking for more savings so their practices make more profit and the practice can then pay itself more!

destiny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Same problem here. I managed to get my diabetes reasonably controlled, by using test strips.
At the time of my diagnosis, my HBA1C was 13+, in less than 12 months it was down to almost 5.
I was also recently told to reduce testing to 'a couple of times a week'.

I reminded them that with multiple illnesses, all of which have different effects and vary from day to day, testing helps me to see on a day to day basis how hard I have to be on myself, or even if i need something to raise my sugar. And I was learning to recognise the symptoms of Hyper and hypo.

The nurse practitioner was not happy at my explanation of why it is useful, and told me I cant do anything of I get a high reading anyway because im not on insulin!

Since cutting back on the testing, Im having much higher readings

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
destiny said:
The nurse practitioner was not happy at my explanation of why it is useful, and told me I cant do anything of I get a high reading anyway because im not on insulin!

Since cutting back on the testing, Im having much higher readings

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The Nurse Practitioner is just spouting the Practice mantra to save money. Testing is useful and testing is very important whatever the Nurse says. If your levels are high then at least you know and can do something to prevent it going high again, maybe avoid certain foods. Ifyou are high drink plenty of fluids and depending on how high some small amount of exercise can help bring the level down. However never exercise if your Bg level is above 13 mmol/l. If it is you should also check for ketones.