Type 2 depression with diabetes

Mark_Goldenfield_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I suffer with depression, diabetes and depression is very common. Blood sugars changing rapidly, mood swings , it's horrible . I try to exercise, regularly, read , motivation books , it's not a nice place to be , I really feel for you as its soul destroying . Please try and get help , either support groups GP , I was on citopram . But came off them , I'm trying to beat this without tablets .

Reactions: 7 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi Mark_Goldenfield. I was on Citopram for 6 weeks and I felt worse! My GP took me off them and put me on Lofepramine - 2 at night and 1 on a morning, still taking them and some days are good and others are ****. It's the days that are **** is when I don't stick to sensible eating for my Diabetes.

letsy

Hi

I've suffered from recurrent depression since my early 20s. It can be very difficult to get any help on the NHS nowadays unless you are in immediate danger of killing yourself, and even then many people get turned away and limited action taken until they are in hospital following an attempt on their life. Even people who have been detained under the mental health act often cant even get a bed in hospital! It can be a postcode lottery so do ask for help from the NHS/GP but also look for other things.

The thing I found most beneficial was MBCT/MBSR courses. They teach you mindfulness and the MBCT is specifically for helping reduce depression, although they are more aimed at relapse prevention than helping you get out of a current acute episode The courses can be a bit pricey (£150-£300 depending where you live) but they are a lot cheaper than paying for a therapist and you get the course materials and 8 weeks out of it so they are very good value. It's important to make sure you do them with people who have trained properly in it (like at Bangor or Oxford uni that do specific courses for it) rather than people who have just tagged on a bit of cpd to some other healthcare professional qualification.

In helping get through your current episode the advice you've already been given is great - exercise really helps however much you feel like not doing it. I used to go swimming and always made sure to go at quiet times and wear earplugs so I could just switch out the rest of the world. Charity sector often offers supportive counselling at low cost. If you phone up the MIND or RETHINK info lines they should be able to tell you what is available in your area. Getting enough sleep is also very important so anything you can do to improve your sleep hygiene will help.

In terms of food intake if you have anyone who can cook for you to make sure you are eating regular healthy filling food that will help stop cravings. Also make sure you've had your vitamin D levels checked and any bloodwork for other conditions that could be contributing to feeligns of fatigue and depression.

Reactions: 4 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi borderter Oh, don't put yourself down. It's good that you ask others how things affect them. I am sure that you can contribute to this forum? Why not start here and tell me a little about yourself - how long have you been Diabetic? and what type?

Harleenm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hey guys, I've had diabetes my whole life (now 21), started dealing with depression at 16 after being put on multiple daily injections, if you make an appointment with your doctor & tell them what's going on they could make a referral to a therapist, it helped me out loads :)

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Mark_Goldenfield.
Doctors and Endocrinologist don't realise the impact on the person who has only found out that they have Diabetes. I don't have Depression because of the Diabetes, but it does contribute to it. I have got other Health Issues and they all contribute to Depression!!

Ploodoo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
I have severe clinical depression and I am Type 2, diagnosed September 2014. I am taking:
Metformin 500mg 5 daily
Mirtazapine 30mg tablets 1 at night
Venlafaxine 75mg modified-release 5 at night
My Doctor was wonderful, but he left the practice in July (without telling me, which devastated me and sent me on a downward spiral). I saw the diabetes nurse in January, and my HBA1C had risen from 52 to 62 in 12 months and my cholesterol is 8.2, my weight has escalated, and my BMI is 35. I was told that on no account should I test my blood sugars as it isn't required if you are T2! No one has really helped me manage my diabetes and the relationship that depression and diabetes have on one another.
My depression is controlling my life, and although I put on a mask for work, so people don't suspect, when it comes to evenings and weekends, I close the door on the world and do nothing. I don't get dressed at the weekend, Housework is suffering, the dog is suffering as I can't face going out and taking her for a walk. My girls are all grown and living their own lives and I just exist. What for, I have no idea. No purpose in life as I can see. I eat, work, sleep (not all night). I was referred to mental health and saw a lovely woman for a few weeks for assessment. She said I needed group therapy for lack of self esteem. I told her I didn't want to be part of a group and putting me in a room full of strangers would not help me one bit. I am still waiting to see a psychiatrist (been 17 months now).
My point is, my depression came first, and now it is impacted by my diabetes, which in turn is impacted by my depression. Catch 22, and no way out.
Apologies for boring you all.

Last edited by a moderator:

brenda walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
been there done that. I was also on Venlafaxine but the side effects were too much - especially when I forgot it. I couldn't go to group meetings either. In fact if kept waiting I would bolt from the waiting room. The only thing that kept me going was my dog. He depended on me He must have food, exercise and love. Then I developed diabeties. When he died I would not get up let alone go out. I found it helped to concentrate on the dog's need - he must be fed and walked and cuddled. Form a routine and force yourself to go to group meetings, it may help. I am married with grown up sons but they will never understand and friends all walked away, they definitely do not understand. In the beginning, I thought it was only temporary, wait and it will pass and I would bounce back. Retrain you mind, find stratagies that help and never give in. For 17 years my dog was the best help.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Ploodoo - Hi and Welcome to the Forum.:). You will find that members on here are all supportive, friendly and helpful. And we all do our very best to answer when members post questions etc. I completely disagree with whoever told you not to test your blood sugars! If your surgery has not provided you with a meter, then you ought to invest in purchasing a Meter and get testing to see what foods gives you high readings. I think if you take control of your Diabetes - your depression will also improve. (I suffer with Depression, have done for last 5 years). I test several times a day and I have had Type 2 nearly 16 years.
If you go on this link:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Codefree-Glucose-Monitor-Monitoring-Testing/dp/B0068JAJFS
A SD Codefree blood glucose meter is £25.97 - for meter, 50 test strips, 100 lancets.

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Hi all just glad to say ive weaned myself of the depression meds and with loads of extra walking am coping much better and oh the relief not being always hungry

Reactions: 2 people