Too sensitive to correct

debsugs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all
So having a nightmare at the moment. I am still honeymooning and really sensitive to novo rapid. Was 8 u lantus and 1:25 last week I had a hypo every day , my dsn told me to drop to 7u lantus and increase to 1:30 novorapid. This morning I still had a hypo. I'm getting really fed up and really struggling to keep in range as I can't really correct 0.5 u seems to drop me between 3&5!
Any advice suggestions why more than welcome

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you splitting lantus morning and night or just night? I am very insulin sensative as well. I can't split lantus or I hypo all day too. Are you eating low carb?
When i was 1st DX d they told me 8-10 novolog and 5 lantus and eat 20 carbs per meal. I was hypo and hypering all over the place. Went back to my vlc plan and have reduced insulin to 1 novolog per meal and 2 lantus. Recently reduced fat and now 1/2 unit per meal and 1 lantus, sometimes none. I personally don't understand how they can give you a set dose if you don't eat the same set meals. I do eat the same macros I have set at each meal and have found the dose that always works with no hypo or hypers but lots of people prefer the freedom to mix up meals. I could never find any balance when I ate carbs. Getting insulin there at the same time as the carbs was impossible for me. Luckily my Dr told me it is my diabetes and didn't set any real doses, just a starting point to bring me down from the high at DX. He just encourages lots of testing

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you got a half unit pen? Definitely will give you better control and prevent you dropping quick.

Reactions: 2 people

debsugs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have a half unit pen already, and @kristen251 I don't low carb, I love carbs I don't eat meat and am allergic to nuts which without carbs is quite restrictive, I was doing ok till a few weeks ago, oh and I take my lantus in the morning x

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmmm... Predicament. Haha
Personally I can't eat carbs and stay steady as I said but that is me. I also found that lantus does actually work on food though it is not intended to do. Before I got novolog I was just on 5 units lantus and I took it with dinner and I would go from 250 to 100 before bed. So if you take lantus in the morning you have double insulin working on food. Very hard to predict I would imagine. I now take lantus before bed and stay steady however if I have a snack after I take it I will most likely drop a bit. I would talk to your team about taking it before bed or splitting doses. I can't take it in the morning or I just drop all day long.
I too have a very restrictive diet. No grains fruit sugar night shades soy dairy etc. as if diabetes isn't enough.......

Where do you get your protein?

debsugs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Maybe I could split tomorrow then bedtime the following day? Wow u have really restrictive diet! I eat some fish, quorn and cheese really.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am not qualified to answer that but it sounds reasonable to me. I also find lantus to not even coming close to lasting 24 hours so when taken at bedtime you are mostly just dealing with bolus insulin for meals. Getting basal right is paramount. I am very anal about my BS targets as I am SO sensitive to insulin. It effects my mood terribly if it is fluctuating. I mostly keep it between 80-100. Eating VLC allows me to take much less insulin to much fewer side effects.
Yes, very restrictive. I have stomach issues on top of all this.. I do occasionally eat small amounts of dairy and night shades or a bite of fruit but never grains. I am very gluten intolerant and even react to the cross reactive foods .. Just gave up coffee and it's killing me. Hahah

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe I could split tomorrow then bedtime the following day? Wow u have really restrictive diet! I eat some fish, quorn and cheese really.
I would not split if I was you, just reduce insulin even more if you ars hypoing.

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You might also want to inquire about a pump. Although sensitivity is not one if the NICE criteria, obviously the pump can do much more precise doses that pens do not allow for - and it is one of the criteria for a pump that you should not have excessive hypos in order to maintain control. I moved to a pump a few months ago and it's much better as like you I am on very tiny doses, and even half a unit makes a big shift. Now if I need 0.05, I can take it.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Which insulin do you think is causing the hypos? do you know if you're hypo'ing during the night?

With a 1:30 ratio is it worth taking? if you're hypoing about 2hrs after every meal then I'd drop the quick acting totally just to see what happens. But always consult your DSN.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
All good ideas. Finding your basal dose is very important but I don't know how you would go about that taking it during the day as well as novo rapid. I like my basal to hold me steady from bed time to breakfast and then use bolus for food. I have much better control that way. I can't imagine having a wild card to contend with as well as bolus. I don't pump but I think I of if I ate carbs Ina any quantity I would consider it. Or I would try getting my basal from bed to breakfast right instead of taking it in the morning. All things to discuss with your team

debsugs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Without Bolus my blood sugars spike to about 14, my Bolus I think is now ok I was 8.3 this morning had 7 lantus 60g carb and 2 u Bolus blood sugar was 5.4 at lunch. For lunch about 80g carb with 2u and running at 7.2 at 4 pm. First day without hypo yay!!!

Reactions: 2 people