Snacks

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Apologies in advance as I'm sure this has been covered before, but I couldn't find it? I'm battling binge eating at the moment, I'm pretty au fait with lower carb meals but my problem is grazing. I know it shouldn't be the case with low carb, but for me personally I know it's a major issue, and if I have some ideas of what to attack when the mood overwhelms me, I can manage so much better.

I know eggs, cheese and ham but any ideas for something more tasty? Um...and I hate pork scratchings, sorry! That's the type of thing I'm after though.

ta:)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Nuts? Olives? Celery? Pumpkin seeds? None of those should effect bs much. I like to graze too. Large meals aren't good for me so I graze

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
All good, thanks. Bar the celery:yuck:. My bingeing really takes hold with grazing so what do we think the best way is to measure portions? I find it very hard to stop at a "handful" of this or that..know I'm being pedantic but humour me please:D. Also like very strong flavours, chili, or salt and pepper or strong spices..drool..aarghh, no, I won't hit the fridge at nearly 1am!:oops:

Reactions: 2 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I make and love Cajun pumpkin seeds and they certainly are hard to limit. I myself am not always good with just a handful either but working on mind over matter. I do find eating makes for more eating so I try not to and the more I do the more I do if that makes sense. Working on dropping a few pounds son trying to concentrate on that but sometimes I just don't care. I crave salt too. Salty nuts/ seeds. Yum. I guess I now know how many effect bs and how many doesn't. Testing....

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All good, thanks. Bar the celery:yuck:. My bingeing really takes hold with grazing so what do we think the best way is to measure portions? I find it very hard to stop at a "handful" of this or that..know I'm being pedantic but humour me please:D. Also like very strong flavours, chili, or salt and pepper or strong spices..drool..aarghh, no, I won't hit the fridge at nearly 1am!:oops:

There are some amazing almonds with strong flavors by Blue Diamond (Salt 'n Vinegar, Habanero Barbecue, Honey Dijon, Sriracha, Lime 'n Chili, and Wasabi Soy Sauce). 28 almonds = 1 oz (170 calories).

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Kale crisps, cashew nuts, cold chicken, cream cheese on salami slices?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Also like very strong flavours, chili, or salt and pepper or strong spices..drool..aarghh, no, I won't hit the fridge at nearly 1am!:oops:
I like strong spicy things too, and spicy peperami, slices of chorizo and salami, and onion bhajis are good.

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I got some spicy seeds and roasted seeds last week by the Food Doctor. They were 50g bags with a total of about 5 carbs in the whole bag. Mine were 4 for £1 in Fultons but Tesco sell bigger bags. ;)

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seaweed crisps are umami enough for me, yet extremely low in calories and carbs (especially the chilli or wasabi flavoured ones from Oriental supermarkets)

Still, as I have a problem with addictive overeating, I find it easier to completely avoid snacks whenever possible. I'd rather grab a couple of chicken thighs from the freezer, cook and eat them (or any other full meal type of food). Don't always succeed, but it helps on the whole...

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Why not make a load of cucumber slices and use them like crackers for carrying peanut butter, phili, mayo, hot sauce or whatever you fancy.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi I am a snacker too sometimes, I snack on nuts mainly unsalted cashews or pistachios / the odd small bag of pork scratchings Alpro almond or coconut yogurt with raspberries and Lidl gogi berry and linseed mix. :hungry:

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can fully empathise with you A. Snacking is my big problem. I found another thread the other night about cashew nuts....... I bought a bag tonight in asda and they're finished already. Yummy and did the trick for me!

Reactions: 5 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Microwave parmesan crisps, nut balls/fat balls/low carb "Bounty Bars", a dollop of nut butter or a little coconut butter, a couple of pieces of high cocoa (75%+) dark chocolate, coffee with cream, mug of homemade soup or stock cube with a dollop of (sour) cream, cheese, olives, small avocado, salami, leftover high (95%) meat sausage, nuts, small low carb muffins or cookies.... Most of these are high in fats/oils (and are low or lacking in carbs) so small amounts should be filling, and will often do for me instead of a full meal...

Robbity

RoscoeB78

Thank God for Pork Scratchings. I've never had a sweet tooth and always used to snack on carb based snacks, crisps, crackers, sausage rolls, pasties and pies.
I removed bread from my diet and use lettuce leafs to make sandwiches of Tuna, Eggs Bacon, Corned Beef and other low carb fillings, but still missed crisps, but now pork scratchings have filled that gap. :)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sausages, a couple of big meaty, good quality sausages. Dipped in a little bit of mustard and oh so satisfying. If you're having one cold then even better with a piece of sharp cheddar cheese. Or bacon, cooked crispy, could you get more tasty? x