What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Husband has requested spaghetti for this evening and given all the low-carb meals that he's been shovelling down without complaint, I'll give it a whirl (with a meatball sauce) but I'll be sure to cook it al dente and only have a starter-sized portion (of the spaghetti, I mean, not the meatballs :) ).

Reactions: 9 people

Greenwave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Two cupsful shredded cabbage sautéed in butter and some smoked tuna. Followed by coffee with cream. Yum!!!

Reactions: 12 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I don't know about anyone else but I blast pork belly as hot as I can for 45 mins to get the crackling off to a good start, then turn the oven down low, about 150c, for a good 2 - 3 hours until done.
No, I do it the other way around. Slow cook first then very hot for 10-15 mins until crispy and cracklingy. If the fat/skin cap is loose (depends on the cut) I might lift it off and cook it separately at the end by blasting it under a hot grill.

Reactions: 7 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Day ? / Week 3 of 800 calories BSD - FBG: 6.1 :(
Weight lost in last week: 3lbs, Total weight lost so far on BSD: 12lbs

Breakfast: Alpro coconut yog. with choc truffle sugar free syrup

Work meal @ 11am: 2 boiled eggs (cold) 3 slices Asda carver ham and 3 cherry tomatoes

Dinner: Well, this is where yesterday went all wrong. An hour before my shift was due to end I had to accompany someone to A&E. Nobody was sent to replace me until 8pm (my shift finished at 3pm) - so I didn't get to eat dinner at home as planned. I did have some emergency 9 bars in my bag, intended for situations like this but I was so completely and absolutely stressed that I ate four of them :( Why, why, WHY do I turn to food when I'm stressed?

Second Dinner: (At 9pm) Re-heated roast lamb, roast celeriac, broccoli, cauliflower and green beans and gravy.

Very late Snack/Supper: Some Lidl 81% chocolate.

So, as you can see, the 800 calorie limit was a total failure yesterday - I will add this day on to the end of the 8 weeks. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Day 1 / Week 3 of 800 calories BSD - FBG: 8.2 :( :(
Back on the wagon today.... this is what is planned:

Breakfast: Alpro Coconut Yoghurt with Jordans sugar free Almond and Vanilla syrup

Lunch: Lamb rump steak, roast cauliflower, broccoli and asparagus

Work meal: Tinned tuna with mayo and large leafy salad

Snack/Supper: 25g Lidl 81% Chocolate (nothing like as nice as the Aldi Moser Roth)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Day ? / Week 3 of 800 calories BSD - FBG: 6.1 :(

Breakfast: Alpro coconut yog. with choc truffle sugar free syrup

Work meal @ 11am: 2 boiled eggs (cold) 3 slices Asda carver ham and 3 cherry tomatoes

Dinner: Well, this is where yesterday went all wrong. An hour before my shift was due to end I had to accompany someone to A&E. Nobody was sent to replace me until 8pm (my shift finished at 3pm) - so I didn't get to eat dinner at home as planned. I did have some emergency 9 bars in my bag, intended for situations like this but I was so completely and absolutely stressed that I ate four of them :( Why, why, WHY do I turn to food when I'm stressed?

Second Dinner: (At 9pm) Re-heated roast lamb, roast celeriac, broccoli, cauliflower and green beans and gravy.

Very late Snack/Supper: Some Lidl 81% chocolate.

So, as you can see, the 800 calorie limit was a total failure yesterday - I will add this day on to the end of the 8 weeks. :(

Yes BUT @Chook of all the possible things to break your diet with, 9Bars have to be on the approved list. And in such circumstances I think you should be applauded for resisting those dratted snack machines and the hospital canteen!

You deserve congratulation, not criticism!

(and my blood glucose either rises or drops when stressed, depending on the nature of the crisis, so the sugar craving is a reasonable reaction by the body saying 'if you want me to cope with this, then give me enough fuel to do so!!!)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes BUT @Chook of all the possible things to break your diet with, 9Bars have to be on the approved list. And in such circumstances I think you should be applauded for resisting those dratted snack machines and the hospital canteen!

You deserve congratulation, not criticism!

(and my blood glucose either rises or drops when stressed, depending on the nature of the crisis, so the sugar craving is a reasonable reaction by the body saying 'if you want me to cope with this, then give me enough fuel to do so!!!)

Thank you for trying to make me feel better :) :) I put the pack of 9 bars in my bag after my last long wait in A&E - at least I learned one lesson. When I replace them I won't put in the whole packet.

Its just that I wish I could cope with strong emotion (especially stress) without turning to food and - worse - I know what I'm doing at the time I'm doing it and I know I shouldn't - but ignore my own common sense. Daft!

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Good Evening All

S Milk Coffee
B Sausage and Tomato
L 2 x Ham,Cheese and Mustard Sandwiches (Lettuce for Bread)
D 1 x Scotch Fillet Steak with Green Salad and Tomatoes

Calories 923
Carbs 31g

Reactions: 10 people

s.sollis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
B: cup of tea.
L: chicken chargrills (3.8g carbs each) celeriac chips ( oh my God why have I never discovered these before, even the husband loved them)
D: will be some sort of salad possibly tinned mackerel.
S: water, actimel drink, raspberries.

Reactions: 6 people

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I'm sat here with a wry smile right now.

I have a couple of silicone chocolate moulds that were a free gift and which have never been used (not even during my period of eating high carb). Well, after the success of the bounty truffles (that according to testing so far haven't budged my BS by more than 0.1 mmol!!), I've gone and dug them out of the cupboard. They'll be used to make my own chocolates with a very fine shell of very dark chocolate and a filling of some kind of nut butter sweetened with Stevia.

Interesting times ahead!

Reactions: 7 people

Magisham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Am doing some baked fish tonight and have just made this to go with it.........courgettes fried with onion and garlic, a tin of tomatoes in there with some herbs, seasoning, a sprinkling of paprika and a dash of wine. Will do broccoli too.

Attachments

• IMG_20160321_174513.jpg
    IMG_20160321_174513.jpg
    753.4 KB · Views: 313
Reactions: 12 people
D

Deleted member 43917

B - almond milk smoothie with cabbage greens & flax seed
S - macadamia nuts
L - baked chicken with garlic & lemon, rocket & tomato & beetroot & cucumber salad; easy peeler
S - galaxy dark chocolate
D - homemade lentil & leek soup, 2 fish fingers, easy peeler

Reactions: 9 people

zzcanasta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Greek yoghurt with all the trimmings. Tea
L: 5 x bitesize pieces of chicken tikka from hot counter at Asda. Virtually inedible - overcooked, dry and lukewarm. Don't go there.
D: 2-egg omelette with spring onion, tomato, asparagus (chopped), mushrooms and smoked salmon, 4-bean salad. Pear. 2 squares of Moser Roth 85%.

Handy hint: found interesting web article with the fabulous but less-than-subtle title, Added Sugar is The Single Worst Ingredient in The Diet. Period by a slightly demented but highly informative Icelandic guy called Kris Gunnars. Watch the You Tube video called 'Toxic Sugar' embedded near the top of the page. It's only 18 minutes long, but more frightening than any horror movie you've ever seen. I intend to scare my sugar-addicted teenage kids shitless with it tomorrow.

Reactions: 4 people

Russetfox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Fresh tomatoes :(
B brazil nuts, coffee and cream
L Protein roll, toasted with peanut butter
S Slice ham and a cube of cheese
D Pork curry and cauli rice
S Hot choc,lindt 90% choc 1 square and more brazil nuts

Reactions: 8 people

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coriander leaf, chillis, celery, sausages,
Nice colourful brekky today:
ScrambleAndBabyTomsSM_zpsym0q9s8n.jpg

Egg - just egg, with low sodium salt, rainbow peppercorns, on low carb bread, toasted, with butter, and on the side: baby piccolo toms, crisp, fresh and juicy - and oh so tasty!

Reactions: 11 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Day 2 of Week 3 of 800 calorie Blood Sugar Diet - FBG: 5.8

Breakfast: Alpro Coconut yoghurt and a teaspoon of hazelnut sugar free syrup

Lunch: hot meal of Zero noodles with broccoli, cherry tomatoes, chilli, lemon juice and some huge raw prawns cooked in a little chilli oil. It's adapted from a Hairy Bikers recipe which is gorgeous. This is a pre low-carbing favourite dish and the recipe calls for spaghetti and fresh tuna. I've made it with the prawns before (very nice) but it's too carby/calorific for me to have with normal spaghetti or noodles and just isn't right somehow with courgette noodles, so having it with Zero noodles is an experiment.

Work meal: bag of salad leaves, 3 cherry tomatoes, cucumber, tinned salmon, a little mayo and some salad onions.

Supper: 25g Lidl 81% chocolate

Reactions: 6 people

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterdays post never posted so here is what I wrote.
Made almond milk so today's
B Coffee with cream
L avocado salad
D will be chicken kievs with almond crumb and home made coleslaw

BTW Kievs were delicious.

Reactions: 8 people
D

debrasue

On hols with the family and food going well so far.
Yesterday:
B : sausage omelette
L : chicken and salad Oopsie roll
D : pork steak and roasted Mediterranean veg
Today:
B : full English breakfast (no toast or fried bread)
L : probably raspberries and cream
D : chicken and ham salad
It's my daughter's birthday - wondering whether to risk a small piece of her chocolate birthday cake, but I'm scared! Have stuck to under 50g carbs and zero sugar for my first three and a half weeks..... Maybe I'd better have an almond muffin instead.

Reactions: 4 people