Would an apple cause a spike in levels

cruiksl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello. I normally have home made soup for lunch with some oatcakes and my level 2 hours afterwards is usually 6.5.

Today I decided to have an apple as well and just tested and it's jumped up to 10.1

Would just an apple cause it to spike as much?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It'll vary depending on your individual response. An average apple has 15g carbs so it is possible.

cruiksl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just realised I had a glass of lemonade at lunchtime and it was full sugar ! I would never buy this. I think that's what's caused it

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just realised I had a glass of lemonade at lunchtime and it was full sugar ! I would never buy this. I think that's what's caused it

Ah, well there we are then :) You could always try an apple without the lemonade to check if you want tomorrow, or go for lower carb fruits like berries.

Reactions: 3 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I find that apples don't raise my bgs much, but the only way to find out if they effect you is to test. But it probably was the lemonade.

Reactions: 2 people

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Almost certainly the lemonade. Plus, if you ever get an unexpectedly high reading, wash hands then try again - it could be spilt sugary liquid or juice from handling fruit.

Reactions: 6 people

Lizzie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Oats are a major problem for me

Oats / oat bran etc - well any grain products really even the 'good' grains - are a major problem for me too. I was thinking 'oatcake' until the poster said she had had a glass of full sugar lemonade.

Reactions: 5 people

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes :P having to eat food in moderation
Hello. I normally have home made soup for lunch with some oatcakes and my level 2 hours afterwards is usually 6.5.

Today I decided to have an apple as well and just tested and it's jumped up to 10.1

Would just an apple cause it to spike as much?

don t normally see to much of a spike in sugars after apple,:) love apples ;)

Reactions: 6 people