ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
My local asda only sell strawberries and blueberries. At the moment the strawberries are from abroad and are hard and tasteless and blueberries are expensive and mushy so not eating any berries. They do other fruit but as diabetics we can,t eat them.

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi, do they sell frozen berry mixes? They are generally cheaper! I've seen the strawberries in the shops and they don't inspire me. Waiting for the local ones!

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi ally1, I bought some strawberries from Asda last week and yes the were hard and a bit pricey at the moment. I buy raspberries from Aldi the fresh ones, I have tried Aldi frozen raspberries very tarty. As for other fruit I eat plums / pears / red melon. I can eat these in moderation every day without any rise to my BG readings. Have you tried any other fruit then tested, I do know that we are all different though, just a thought.:)

Reactions: lorraine95

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah, I'm just not eating any fruit at the moment, but I seem to be OK on a raw carrot and on raw celery.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ally,
It's always worth testing other fruits. I tested a single small plum recently. It sent my levels rocketing. However, I can manage half an unpeeled apple. I cut it up and add it to my yogurt. My local supermarket is advertising "local strawberries coming soon", so that is good news.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I will try others to see how I cope with them. I,m not over keen on the frozen berries and find they spike me

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My local asda only sell strawberries and blueberries. At the moment the strawberries are from abroad and are hard and tasteless and blueberries are expensive and mushy so not eating any berries. They do other fruit but as diabetics we can,t eat them.
I have a few raspberries occasionally. Not many

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's funny, frozen berries don't spike me - but I hardly ever eat more than 6-8 pieces and always with cream (which helps with the tartness too)

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have recently discovered that ~I can do 1/4 large or 1/2 small orange! Delighted.
But it means I can only eat it when Mr B is around to 'tidy away' the rest of it - otherwise I just don't stop. :(

Gonna try apples next.

Reactions: 10 people

Amandamc2711

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have recently discovered that ~I can do 1/4 large or 1/2 small orange! Delighted.
But it means I can only eat it when Mr B is around to 'tidy away' the rest of it - otherwise I just don't stop. :(

Gonna try apples next.
Fruit is the only thing I really miss but I can take a piece of large orange from my sharing children with little change in readings

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You are all very naughty. I am now tempted to try a piece of orange. I shall blame you all if it reacts like the plum did. ;):hilarious::eek:;)

Reactions: 5 people

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @ally1 How about Kiwi fruit? I've discovered I can eat a blood orange too without spiking and they are in season at the moment. I sprinkle one with unsweetened dessicated coconut which gives it a tropical feel so I don't feel I'm missing out too much on the tropical fruits :)

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Hi @ally1 How about Kiwi fruit? I've discovered I can eat a blood orange too without spiking and they are in season at the moment. I sprinkle one with unsweetened dessicated coconut which gives it a tropical feel so I don't feel I'm missing out too much on the tropical fruits :)
I will try a kiwi

Viv0147

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
there isn't much I dislike maybe rude and aggressive people
Hi everyone I have fresh fruit everyday as a meal which I buy from Aldi! Blackberries, Raspberries, Blueberries, Strawberries topped with double cream it low carb 13 g and is very tasty but not cheap

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you got a Waitrose near you? More expensive I know, but flavour is great. Their cherries are delicious. :hungry:

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
The fruits I miss most are pineapple and banana
Hi ally1, I had some pineapple the other week and tested 2 hrs after and it raised my BG reading a lot, but I can eat bananas, what funny digestive styles we all have. ;)

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi everyone I have fresh fruit everyday as a meal which I buy from Aldi! Blackberries, Raspberries, Blueberries, Strawberries topped with double cream it low carb 13 g and is very tasty but not cheap
Hi Viv0147 Yes I shop at Aldi and get the fruit you get with double cream or Greek yogurt / or Alpro Almond or cocnut . Tried the Greek Turkish Yogurt from Lidl the other day it is so delicious.:)

Reactions: 3 people