Type 2 Metformin and diarrhoea (sorry!)

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
I've been on 2x500mg (morning and evening) slow release Metformin for about 3 yrs now, previously was on normal Metformin. At first I was fine, then my bowels became, lets say 'active' and so I was put on the slow release Metformin. All was well for a good while, then this past 2 1/2 plus yrs I have become VERY active again in the bowel action! I was told I have IBS, then a milk allergy, then it was wheat, then finally I was told I had coliac symptoms and had to supply a bowel and blood sample (the only testing done). The tests came back clear. So I asked the Diabetic Nurse at the Dr's if it could be related to my medication again (I'd been keeping a record of food intake and 'out-take', but no pattern there). As I was going on holiday she said to come off all meds (Metformin and 1 simvastatin) and gradually start on metformin after holiday, then introduce simvastatin. Well for 3 wks I've had no drastic bowels, so it proves it was the Metformin (back on statin). Has Metformin had this effect on any of you? I work in the care system and we have a guide 1 - 7 for bowels, 7 being the worst...... welll I was off the scale! (Sorry if you are eating your tea or of a sensitive dispostition!). I'm going to try to push for testing strips (Oh look pigs can fly!). I've more chance winning the lottery than getting them! I really do NOT want to go back onto Metformin, it was ruining my life. I was scared to eat or even go far from the house. I had to come home from work somedays as I was so ill (not that work understood, I was given a warming!).
Advice would be very helpful.
Also where can I find a list of GOOD foods and BAD foods?
Thanks in advance for your advice. The dietician hasn't been much help. The Dr told me to follow a low GI diet "I'm type 2 and I follow a low GI diet" the DR told me....... I looked at said Dr and thought it's not working as the Dr was more than obese!
Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@berylc - Hi:). A lot of forum members follow the LCHF Diet (Low Carb High Fat) and they have success with losing weight and lowering their blood sugars. I will tag @13lizanne who will give you more information.

Reactions: 2 people

charlie_farley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I had the same problem with the same dose of Metformin and went through all the same investigations to no avail it was by talking to other T2s I discovered this was a common complaint.
Two months ago I got so feed up with all the medications 4 Glyceride 2 Metformin 1 Lisinoprill and 1 Simvastatin daily I consulted my GP and agreed that I would start controlling my T2 by diet alone. I started on the Lose a stone in a week diet{Google it} for 1 week followed by 2 weeks of LCHF diet and again on the LASIAW diet. On medication with a poor diet I had readings of 9 to 13 after 6 weeks my readings are 5 to 8 and lost 2 stone. Its early days but I feel so much better and regret my years of depending on medication with all the side affects .Don't think of doing it without consulting your GP.

Reactions: 4 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
@berylc
As @liam1955 said Low Carb Higher Fat can help, although the "Higher Fat" can just meaning switching to full fat dairy rather than low fat, and learning to love nuts & good quality oil based dressings!

Reactions: 2 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@charlie_farley - Thanks for your reply. I don't follow the LCHF Diet, but I have read on this forum the success that other members have had and I have tagged one member who follows it and has come off diabetic medication.
As for Metformin I have taken it for almost 14 years and it just causes constipation with me. Others are not so lucky and they have the opposite effect.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Hi @berylc , I found a thread Viv's Modified Atkins Diet on the Low-Carb Diet Forum really helpful. It lists the foods this lady eats to lose weight and to lower blood sugars. Also you might find this link helpful www.dietdoctor.com Lots of us on this forum have lowered our BG levels and lost weight following low carbohydrate high fat diet. Good luck Beryl!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I do on occasion since starting on metformin have some trouble with diarrhoea which I find is compounded somewhat by the pyridostigmine I take which increases peristalsis but I have found that normally a couple of imodium tablets do help.
So it's not too bad.

HaileyCropper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had the same problem for 2 or 3 years and had had a couple of distressing incidents on 2 consecutive holidays where I was desperate for the loo had a couple of "accidents" so talked to my diabetic nurse. As my tests showed I was doing ok, she said I could drop the metformin to 2 or 3 to see if that worked. As the difficulties occurred a) when on 4 metformin a day, b) after exercise (walking much more than normal) and c) after eating more carbs than I perhaps ought, I wasn't quite sure which of the three things were making my bowels overactive.
I dropped to 3 and almost immediately the problem stopped. I tried this for 3 weeks, and so decided to try 2 a day. My bowels continued to be ok,but my blood sugars went up a little; then I began to be a bit constipated, which has NEVER been a problem for me so have gone back to 3 a day and am on an even keel.
Ask your DN and see what she says. Good luck!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. A few people have Metformin bowel problems even with the SR version. Do discuss stopping it with the GP. It's not a vital drug and only has a limited effect on blood sugar anyway. Diet, as always e.g. Low-carb is the first stop along the way

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's worth trying to reduce you carbohydrate consumption as (too many) carbs can cause fermentation resulting in gas in your gut. See here http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045911.php - scroll down to the (Metformin side effects) Gastric Distress section.

The only time I've ever had :eek:"metfartin":eek: issues was early on when I was on standard metformin and ate a few too many carbs in my low carb diet.

"Bad" foods for type 2 diabetics will generally foods that are high in carbohydrates, as these will raise our glucose levels. Take a look at the top of our low carb section of the forum for further information.

Robbity