Metformin

Jaynorwich1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told what to do
i was told 6 weeks ago that I type 2 diabetes, and was put on Metformin that day, I now take 500mg 3 times a day. Dose anyone else really suffer with side affects. I have really bad stomach cramps and pain I get the runs and I am being sick as well.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi @Jaynorwich1 ,

Welcome to the forums.

Side effects with Metformin are commonplace I'm afraid. Speak to your doctor about the slow release version, Metformin SR. Many people in your position find this beneficial.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there -- welcome to the forum

hopefully some people on metformin will be along to advise soon

all the best !!

knoxy55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Anything to do with birds or feathers, whether to look at or eat.
Hi

I cannot tolerate more than 1 Metaformin due to the side effects I was suffering. I didn't have the same symptoms, I felt that I had a cloud hanging over me and my brain felt 'foggy'. Once off the double dose which are the slow release type I began to feel much better. My Diabetic Nurse and the nominate GP who works with all diabetics in the practice, is trying another drug along with taking 1 Metaformin and so far so good. My a.dvise would be for you to go back to your Diabetic Nurse/GP and trying the slow release but if it has the same side effects there are other drugs although Metaformin is the Gold Standard

dog-man

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Did you start the metformin gradually and build up the dose to try and avoid stomach problems?
That is the correct way to start metformin. Most people then adjust to it and have little problems but some don't. and need to try the slow release version.

Reactions: 2 people

Amandamc2711

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Jaynorwich1 I was also diagnosed 6 weeks ago and put on the same dose as yourself and had the same side effects. What I found was the less carbs I ate then the less side effects.!the last 2 weeks I've not had any awful problems. The Low Carb High Fat way of eating has also seen my blood readings drop to 6s from 18

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi I was diagnosed in Jan this year with Type2, was put on Metformin 500mg straight away 1 daily for first week then increased to 2 daily the second week. I was one of the unfortunate ones that could not tolerate the standard Metformin I was always bloated and had stomach aches and indigestion. I stuck them out for about 3 weeks then heard from this site that there were SR ones [ slow release] I went back to doctor and he prescribed them for me. First 2 weeks I thought that these ones were giving me same symptons as well but then it all seemed to settle down and I am fine with them now.:)

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Hello and welcome.
It took me about six weeks to get used to taking 1x500mg Metformin SR a day,I nearly gave up then things got better.
All best wishes

Jaynorwich1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told what to do
Thank you for the replies, I started off on 1 tablet and increased slowly to 3. My blood glucose readings are still at an average of 16.4, except for the 1 day when day when they dropped to 3.9, if it hadn't of been for my mum noticing that I was having a hypo (she is insulin controlled diabetic) I would of been none the wiser.
My diabetes nurse ain't all that good, she just talks at me and tell me no doing this no eating that, you will eat this from now on, she is of no help what so ever, she told me I had to keep a record of my blood glucose levels and take them on my next visit, that's all well and good but she wouldn't let me have a meter on prescription, I was told to buy 1 myself from the chemist.
The Metformin has made me feel so bad that I have had 2 weeks sick leave from work in the past 6weeks, it's got so bad overnight with being sick and stomach cramps and the runs, I have decided to stop taking them till I see my gp on Thursday. It's most prob the wrong thing to do but I just can not take the side affect any more.