Metformin & insulin - who's taking both?

heleni62

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Litter. And people (mostly those who are overweight) saying " Should you be eating that?" Absolutely infuriates me - I wouldn't dream of asking them if they should be eating yet another high calorie meal.
Hi, I've had good advice in the past from fellow T1s so here's another question. I became insulin dependent in 2010 - I was never diagnosed as Type 2, but had positive antibody tests which showed that the B cells were being destroyed and that I would eventually produce no insulin. I was on metformin and glicazide for about 18 months prior to commencing a basal/bolus insulin regime. However, I was told to keep taking 500mg metformin bd because of it's cardio protective qualities. I have just been seen by a new consultant who has suggested that I stop using metformin because it has no place in the treatment of Type 1s. She was open to discussion and I said I would think about it because I have read quite a bit of research which highlights the wider benefits of metformin use. So my question is this.....how many insulin dependent Type 1s are taking Metformin? I look forward to hearing your replies. Thanks.

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was put on insulin, my consultant told me I can dump the Metformin.

Reactions: 2 people

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm on both, was put on metformin when diagnosed and never been off it, I'm overweight though.

jsmith8196

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes!!
When I was first diagnosed, they thought it was t2 so i started off on metformin, then after 3 blood tests and alot of hospital appointments thy established it was t1, so I started on insulin but was told to remain on the metformin too. I stopped taking it due to awful stomache aches but was still encouraged to take them. Slightly confused as to why though? surely the insulin is enough?

YorkshireAli

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on both - was insulin only for 18 years after diagnosis, then starting seeing a new consultant, who put me on Metformin as well, to help me become a bit more sensitive to insulin. Don't really know whether it has, though - I do need less quick acting insulin now, but I think that's more to do with the LCHF as my ratio for carbs is still pretty high.

sandra curtis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Metformin isn't usually prescribed for Type 1 diabetics but your Consultant should know the answer as everybody is unique.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In the UK, Metformin is given only for T 2, but that's just a national style. In the US Metformin is often given along with insulin for T 1, because it means the insulin doses can be lowered. From my reading, I wd be very keen on Met with insulin. Ask @yingtong.

Bernstein also recommends the two together.

Last edited by a moderator:

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm in the UK, type 1 and I have it so some clinics/consultants give it to type 1's in the UK. I'm on a pump now and still have it.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hi. I am taking both = metformin and Humulin i and I am Type 2.

YorkshireAli

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In the UK, Metformin is given only for T 2, but that's just a national style. In the US Metformin is often given along with insulin for T 1, because it means the insulin doses can be lowered. From my reading, I wd be very keen on Met with insulin. Ask @yingtong.

Bernstein also recommends the two together.

I'm in the UK (northeast England) and, as I've said above, I have both insulin and Metformin as a T1. I realise this is possibly not that common, Metformin isn't exclusively for T2.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Sorry, I ought to have said I live in North Yorkshire - type 2 on metformin (2000mg) and 38 Units of Humulin i Insulin.

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
I'm type1 and have been since the Romans were here,I have been taking Metformin for about 12 years.my Endo recommend it to help reduce my insulin resistance and it certainly did,considerably, I am now using a pump and continue to take Metformin.I have been type 1 54years next month and have only a couple of very minor complications.

sandra curtis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm on insulin and metformin .I have always had both although only commenced insulin 3months after diagnosis 15 years ago.Apparently Metformin has some heart protective qualities.

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
I am on both. I take 500mg Metformin twice a day with food. I started taking it to help with insulin resistance. I am not certain whether or not it works but I am happy to keep taking it for the wider benefits (as mentioned, heart health).

Melody125

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I also am on both, I had a conversation with my consultant after being told by my GP that I did not need Metformin anymore and he convinced me of the benefits, helps reduce weight gain, insulin is used more efficiently by the body and cardio protection.