Non invasive glucose device -sugarbeat

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It's an interesting idea but has an issue in that the watch needs to be in contact with the patch to capture data, and needs to be charged every 24 hours, so you are going to end up with frequent missing periods...

mikeg1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was a bit concerned that the patch only works for upto 12 hours. Do they expect the patch to be changed twice a day? However there may be fewer skin reactions if the patch is changed frequently.

The point you make about recharging the battery is very valid.
You would think that they have thought through these design issues.

The cost will be interesting to see, but I am encouraged that such devices are soon coming to the market.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I suspect that unlike the Dexcoms and Libres of the world, this is something you would end up using when you wanted to Basal test, for example, as the limitations (and I suspect associated cost implications) may well render it difficult to run full time.

mikeg1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The device with alarms could be useful for monitoring hypos at night.

I have sent the company an email with a few enquires. However this product seems to have quite a few limitations which is disappointing.

Like most T1s I am keen to have a reliable ,accurate and affordable cgm!

mikeg1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Here is the prompt response I received from nemaura.

thank you kindly for your email below, and please note our responses as follows:

1. The technology offers a versatile approach to glucose monitoring. This includes the following configurations which we envisage will be available to the end user, with an anticipated
launch next year:
- Configuration 1 - where the patch is directly connected to the watch - so there is no question of the two being distant from each other.
- Configuration 2 - where the device/watch will need to be 'swiped' over or brought directly in to contact with the patch to 'extract' the previous set of readings as desired by the user.

2. The clinical studies have been conducted for a period of 12-14 hours thus far, in light of ethical considerations. These studies are being extended for up to several days, using a single
patch. We are very happy to divulge that the patches work for several days without any significant loss in performance, in a laboratory setting. However we are aiming to establish how this
translates 'in situ' whilst it is being worn. We expect as a minimum the patches should last for 24 hours per use.

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks @mikeg1964 - interesting reading, although the watch needing charging every 24 hours is still a bit rubbish...

mikeg1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I raised this in my email but they did not address this . Also it depends on how long it takes to recharge.

However if the patch works in swipe mode with your smart phone this would be acceptable to me.

I think it could be a viable alternative to the libre.

Last edited by a moderator:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
However if the patch works in swipe mode with your smart phone this would be acceptable to me.

I think it could be a viable alternative to the libre.
That would be a great approach.

mikeg1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I now have some feedback re battery life,looks like you swap the watch to a second recharged watch (if you want continous readings)with a new patch see the reply below.

There are a few ways of addressing this:

1. The battery is an integral part of the device and will require recharging possibly every day/24 hours.
2. Two devices are supplied to the end user, so that whilst one is being used the other can be charged. Data will be automatically synchronised by the app, therefore data will not be lost
and continuity maintained.
3. The battery is a removable rechargeable unit, and several batteries can be supplied.

As with most aspects of the final form factor and usability of the device, we will be conducting appropriate studies to ensure we take in to account as many concerns as is practically
feasible. Ultimately the good news is we have a lot of flexibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
really interesting this

mikeg1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I hope they can deliver an accurate, reliable reasonably priced solution without skin irritation issues!

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
yeah and the pricing of it

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
They're setting themselves up for some interesting challenges in their design - replaceable rechargeable batteries are a pain in the butt to maintain water resistance...

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've been reading the data on the web about this product and had more of a deep look. Looks like it works either with your own mobile or the SugarBEAT reader. Much more interesting when you look at it like that. It's also got a European license now so they can sell it. There's a whole load more blog on it here, but it does look very interesting.

Reactions: 6 people

mikeg1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been reading the data on the web about this product and had more of a deep look. Looks like it works either with your own mobile or the SugarBEAT reader. Much more interesting when you look at it like that. It's also got a European license now so they can sell it. There's a whole load more blog on it here, but it does look very interesting.
Very informative blog... (as always) Like all new products I expect it will have some initial problems and may not work for everyone. Great to see more market players , I find the daily patch attractive as it may not be possible to wear one continously for 14 days.

I too am quite excited about these developments and I am also watching this space attentively.
Thanks.

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cost wise I cant see this changing much. I would be surprised if they could beat £5/day let alone £3 to match Libre monthly costs.

With the watch mode it gives CGM capability and may be an answer for those with adhesive problems but still looks like it is early in the product development cycle.

Reactions: 3 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Cost wise I cant see this changing much. I would be surprised if they could beat £5/day let alone £3 to match Libre monthly costs.
It depends. They've talked about all the players on the market being expensive. It will be interesting to see how they price it, and whether they consider Libre a competitor, which is really the key question.

Based on the scant details I've read, I get the impression that they don't consider Libre to be competition, so are talking about a lower cost than Dexcom.

Reactions: 3 people

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does this use bluetooth instead of NFC, meaning Apple iPhone/watch would work with it?

mikeg1964

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does this use bluetooth instead of NFC, meaning Apple iPhone/watch would work with it?
I understand it is Bluetooth, however Bluetooth is quite demanding on battery power so I would expect alot of recharging. All round it is progress.