Sudden change in bread reaction

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm sorry, I know you mean well and are attempting to be supportive, but I really must take issue with your last paragraph. It is NOT always a lifestyle disease, in the sense (which it seems you mean) that it is caused solely by diet and exercise issues. There are many, many people, my daughter included, who develop T2 as a result of a pre-existing condition, corticosteroid medication, just to name a couple. Blanket assumptions don't help anyone, especially those mentioned above. By the way, my daughter was in her teens when she was diagnosed, she hadn't even been around for "decades".
Diabetes is a lifestyle disease not in the way it is caused, but by the way we lead our lives following diagnosis. What we do, especially in terms of diet, can have very significant effect on the course of the disease, and these are lifestyle choices that we make daily.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sorry, I know you mean well and are attempting to be supportive, but I really must take issue with your last paragraph. It is NOT always a lifestyle disease, in the sense (which it seems you mean) that it is caused solely by diet and exercise issues. There are many, many people, my daughter included, who develop T2 as a result of a pre-existing condition, corticosteroid medication, just to name a couple. Blanket assumptions don't help anyone, especially those mentioned above. By the way, my daughter was in her teens when she was diagnosed, she hadn't even been around for "decades".

Your point is well taken. Apologies ladybird64.

The more I learn about nutrition, the better I understand how difficult it is to eat the same quality of food that we enjoyed 100 years ago for a variety of reasons. When I refer to lifestyle diseases, I'm referring to diseases caused by eating too many processed foods, instead of traditional foods raised or grown in traditional ways.

The diet I've eaten my entire life wasn't that bad: protein, fruit or vegetables, and a starch, with small amounts of oil or fat. While I did drink soda during my teen years, I gave it up in my early adult years. Tea has been my beverage of choice for decades. Yet I developed blood sugar problems in my mid 20's, before I gained excess weight.

In the US, I pay 75% more to buy eggs from local, pastured, free-range chickens, I pay more to buy beef from grass fed cows, also butter and cheese. Finding chicken that is organic and pastured has been more challenging. Still searching. I'm wary of pork now, but I miss eating it. Luckily, we live on the coast so have good access to fresh, wild fish and shellfish. I'm also able to buy fresh, organic produce locally when in season.

I rarely eat processed foods anymore because in the US, these foods contain high fructose corn syrup, transfats, and harmful seed oils that are high in harmful omega-6 fatty acids.

I buy a special mayonnaise made with avocado oil to avoid mayonnaise made with soybean and canola oil. I use vinaigrette made with extra virgin olive oil and a variety of vinegars and seasonings. No more bottled salad dressings for me.

This last year has been quite the education.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

tpaz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Cardio exercise
Hi Mike, fellow Canadian here :)

I don't have much to add rather than I had a similar experience this morning. Had some of my trusty high fibre tortilla this am and spiked to 9.5 2 hours later, when I would typically have hovered around 7. Kinda put me into a grouchy mood all day. I hate seeing spikes.

I had lunch and tested 2 hours later. I was lower than I was in my fasting. *shrugs*

Sometimes and only sometimes, it's a bit of a guessing game. I'm going to lay off bread for a while, and slowly see how I do with it again. I paired it with peanut butter, so maybe that's what I did wrong? I'm definitely still learning, even after 10 years.

I know a lot of people here are low carb, high fat. But being a vegetarian, this is a though one for me. There's nothing 100% carb free I can eat. Even eggs have 1gr.

One thing I do test positively with is weight watchers multigrain bread. Just one slice though. It's not the greatest... But it's bread! I find it at Walmart and Metro. I hope I didn't jinx myself now!

Best of luck!

Spliffdic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Maybe you may have to change your bread whole meal is good. Xx
Modern breads especially white flour breads generally have added sugar. They are considered as high GI load, and generally will cause bgl spikes. I have toast myself, If I have white bread, I spike badly, but I use a multi-seed loaf that hardly registers on my meter. I also use butter to lower the GI load, and this slows things down even further.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Maybe you may have to change your bread whole meal is good. Xx

For many, it's not. I have the same reading with wholemeal as white bread so I avoid them. The only way to be sure, is to test afterwards.

Reactions: 2 people

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for all the advice. The bread I eat is multi-gran and contains no sugar at all. It's bakery bread and I have spoken with the baker. I eat my bread (or used to) with butter or cream cheese. Funny thing is my last A1C was 6.3, and my other readings are pretty good most of the time. There might be something about the no-fat that Torq mentions, as if I have a hamburger with bun, I don't get that reaction. Is there a way to know if I have moved to T1? I was projected to have it when I was 18, and held it off for 50 years!
Hi @Canada_Mike, welcome to the fourm. Have you tried testing every time you have had toast? Perhaps try a different bread supplier just for testing purposes? The weird thing about Diabetes is that it doesn't make sense - all sorts of things can raise your bloods at the drop of a hat! The other day I had a banana and tested before at 10 - 2 hours later I was 8! Bizaar! Anyway, what I am trying to say is that there are so many variables you may never understand why, you will just have to experiment and sadly may have to give up the bread. :(

hose1975

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
T2DM is a lifestyle disease.

Not this old canard AGAIN! You have to be predisposed to T2 in the first place and many, MANY people with unhealthy lifestyles do not go on to develop diabetes; it is not a given. Saying that it's a 'lifestyle' disease, when they have eaten only what the vast majority of others eat, and then blaming it on them for their 'lifestyle' is not helpful.

Grr.

duranton1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Not this old canard AGAIN! You have to be predisposed to T2 in the first place and many, MANY people with unhealthy lifestyles do not go on to develop diabetes; it is not a given. Saying that it's a 'lifestyle' disease, when they have eaten only what the vast majority of others eat, and then blaming it on them for their 'lifestyle' is not helpful.

Grr.
Hello, I have also been told that type 1 is lifestyle disease - I have been type 1 for 50 years and it certainly wasn't life style
which brought it on. Also heard genes are to blame! Not relevant in my case except my brother who also had it. I hate it,
mornings are usually the worst for feeling rough......No, I don't drink.......

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Grr.
Hello, I have also been told that type 1 is lifestyle disease - I have been type 1 for 50 years and it certainly wasn't life style
which brought it on. Also heard genes are to blame! Not relevant in my case except my brother who also had it. I hate it,
mornings are usually the worst for feeling rough......No, I don't drink.......

Type 1 and type 2 diabetes are different. Here's an excellent article from the American Diabetes Association that does an excellent job of answering the question, "Is it genetic, lifestyle, or both?"... http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/genetics-of-diabetes.html

I listen to a lot of lectures and interviews online related to health and diabetes. This weekend, I heard a lecture by Joseph Pizzorno, founder of Bastyr University in the United States. He presented research that pesticides and metals play a significant role in the development of many chronic diseases, and of greatest interest to me, also the onset of insulin resistance and diabetes. If true, this would explain to me why, despite making significant changes to my lifestyle, by that I mean diet and exercise, my diabetes has not improved beyond what I achieved in the first month.

This also offers me hope. If I can detox, and shed the excess weight (that holds onto these toxins) that I still have remaining, perhaps I can further reverse my diabetes.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Ok, Ok let's get back to the original problem - the toast this morning. Have you asked your baker if they have a gluten free range? Some do and you may not get a big spike with that. I have found that after years of eating bread without any problems that I know about I have to stop eating all breads, oats etc. but have found a perfectly good alternative breakfast in low fat yoghurt with some fruit. Keep a check on your bloods and see what works for you. Life throws the odd curve ball at us, just work your way round it a little at a time, don't panic. You may find that without bread you suddenly have a liking for yeast extract, that's fine it supplies the B vitamins.

I have read the rest of the debate and in the UK it has been proven that T2 can be reversed with lifestyle change in people who have been diagnosed for up to 10 years and improved for those with longer diagnosis. The problem is that the amount of internal fat that develops in the liver and impedes the working of the pancreas differs in different people and some are more sensitive than others. Lose the fat and the body has amazing properties of healing itself.

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
What do we go by ...? So many differing views from everyone and we're all individual, shame, as diabetes would be so easy to treat if we were all the same, one blanket covers all would be ideal bbbut.....it doesn't.

Lowish Carb Highish Fat has been working for me ...rarely eat the 'baddies' but if I do its tiny amounts of pasta, tiny amounts of bread [but only Lidl High Protein rolls and low carb LivLife], tiny amounts of boiled potatoes [not mashed, off the scale] but seem to be okay with moderate amount of rice.

However, when I was diagnosed as a Type 2 sixteen years ago, I was good [hard for me!] and followed that dreaded Eatwell Plate with plenty of carbs because that was all I knew and was advised... my levels improved and were stable until about three years ago and I was put on Metformin. Soo, I discovered this site and started the LCishHFish diet and levels improved greatly.

But the other day, we came back from being in London for the day, I was starving, and there was a Sainsbury's wholemeal roll hanging around so I filled it with cheese and tomato and enjoyed eating it lol ... was dreading my levels an hour later but they'd hardly gone up..and were 'normal' two hours later.

Am completely confused, I really don't know what's going on in this diabetic quagmire and it can't be just me :(

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pollylocks it is confusing. I have experienced this too, but while I might be able to get away with it once, I typically don't if I repeat eating the same food again over the next couple of days.

This is informed speculation on my part, but here's two possible explanations for why you were able to eat a serving of bread without the expected glucose spike, previously a problematic food for you.

Now that you've been eating a low carb diet for a while, both your glucose and insulin levels have come down, which means your insulin resistance has lessened. That's good.

But if you add bread back into your daily diet, likely within a few days, or weeks, or months, your insulin resistance may begin to increase again, followed by increasing blood glucose and insulin levels. Or maybe not. Hard to know. Everyone one has their own "tipping point", the point where their carb intake exceeds their body's ability to manage its blood glucose levels.

Another possibility, and I'm going way out on a limb here, is a question: "Has your gut flora, your microbiome, changed over time because you eliminated bread, and other highly refined carbohydrates, from your diet?" There's some thought that the micro-organisms that make up our gut flora can also improve or worsen our type 2 diabetes. Perhaps, because you've been eating more "whole food" types of carbohydrates, your microbiome is healthier too.

A third possibility, and more likely explanation, is that you walked off the extra carbs during your day in London, before or after you ate the bread. Walking uses up the glucose stored in my muscles, which is then quickly replenished by the glucose circulating in my blood. I put this knowledge into practice when I get a high blood glucose reading.

As you pointed out, we're all so individual. Don't know how having bread again will affect you over time. I'm just thinking out loud. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people