Pen malfunction?

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've noticed a problem with my basal pen. It is delivering the Lantus in slow fits and starts when I have already inserted the needle under the skin. However, when I do a test shot into the air, the insulin delivery is normal.
I'm worried I'm not getting the proper dose. Any ideas what's wrong here? This has never happened before.:(

S

Shar67

I had this happen, I had a faulty box of needles, out of a box of 1 hundred about 8 were ok

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you @Shar67, for your reply. I am using cheaper (presumably) and more rickety needles, since the GP practice moved away from a well-known brand. The problem with this cheaper brand is that there is no way of knowing the needle is dodgy until after I've done the injection, so I don't know how much insulin I'm getting! The insulin-into-the-air shot is ok. I'll email the GP practice to warn them. Thanks again!

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
I've noticed a problem with my basal pen. It is delivering the Lantus in slow fits and starts when I have already inserted the needle under the skin. However, when I do a test shot into the air, the insulin delivery is normal.
If this a disposable pen then throw it away and start a new one, If it's a pen that uses 3ml cartridges (100 units/ml = 300 units) then start a new cartridge and make a note of how many units you inject per day - after a few days you should be able to tell if the cartridge is emptying at the expected rate.
I suspect it's ok and just feels different when the insulin is injected under pressure (into the flesh) than when it is squirted freely into the air.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If this a disposable pen then throw it away and start a new one, If it's a pen that uses 3ml cartridges (100 units/ml = 300 units) then start a new cartridge and make a note of how many units you inject per day - after a few days you should be able to tell if the cartridge is emptying at the expected rate.
I suspect it's ok and just feels different when the insulin is injected under pressure (into the flesh) than when it is squirted freely into the air.
Thank you for this advice, @logindetails. You may be right that the pen is functioning. I will try to check whether the insulin in the cartridge is reducing at the expected rate, but this seems a bit hit or miss, when we're using small doses: I inject 18 units per day. It would take me too long to work out that I'm only injecting 12 or 8 units. It's the fact that the insulin is not being injected smoothly as usual that I find worrying. We can't go through a box of needles to find the ones that work! :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@lizdeluz, just change the pen, I've had this happen before where it sticks sporadically and it just isn't worth it trying to persevere.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello and thank you for your reply, @noblehead!
Sorry, but I don't understand. :( I thought I had a problem with the needles?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hello and thank you for your reply, @noblehead!
Sorry, but I don't understand. :( I thought I had a problem with the needles?

Maybe is the needles @lizdeluz, I was merely saying that I had similar issues and it was the pen that was at fault, if you have spare try it and if its no better then you will know it's a problem with the needles or insulin cartridge.

Hope you get it sorted.

Reactions: 3 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe is the needles @lizdeluz, I was merely saying that I had similar issues and it was the pen that was at fault, if you have spare try it and if its no better then you will know it's a problem with the needles or insulin cartridge.

Hope you get it sorted.

Yes, I see. Thank you. I'm going to be on a mission tomorrow .... :)

Reactions: 2 people