GMS and swimming?

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm looking to explore a GMS, either Freestyle Libre or Dexcom. I'm type 2 (diagnosed in Jan) and now appreciate how important monitoring is.

My question - do the sensors stay on/remain accurate if you regularly swim. I aim for 30 minutes minimum, 5 times a week. Freestyle states 30mins max to depth of 3 feet on their website.

Also I regularly steam/sauna so wondering if it would last in the 'wet' environment.

Would be interested to hear other swimmers experience. I'd be self funding so need to ensure my investment is worthwhile and fits into my lifestyle.

Thank you in advance for all comments.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @PenfoldAPD , I swim most days but probably only 25 mins or so, with the odd half hour sometimes, and my Libre sensor has generally been fine. I am only on my 4th sensor, so this doesn't represent a long experience.

On two occasions it's had an error message which told me to scan again in 10 minutes. I scanned again immediately and it was fine.

On one occasion, when scanning after my swim, I noticed a gap in the graph line, ie no data had been collected for a few minutes - but later in the day this gap had remarkably disappeared so I ended up thinking I must have imagined it!

In the water the sensor feels secure and fine. I do wear a stretchy armband to cover it, just a bit of Lycra that a friend sewed for me, but that is for reasons of self-consciousness rather than sensor security! I got it originally because I was convinced the sensor would just fall off, but they don't! Now I just wear it so as not to look too 'bionic'. Which is daft!

I would think you would be fine with the Libre in the pool. I don't know about steamy environments though - not my bag!

I make sure that the first bit of me I dry when I get out of the pool is the sensor. And if it does fail and you've only been in the pool for 29 minutes, I'd say that that would be a reasonable issue to raise with Abbott.

I love my Libre!

Reactions: 2 people

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your comments @Snapsy - really helpful. I need to research and understand it more, I don't really know even khow it attaches to your skin :)

I hear what you are saying about 'looking bionic', I did wonder if the other chaps in the shower might comment. But hey, who cares!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No worries, @PenfoldAPD !

Regarding attaching it, there are some super videos on the Libre website - have a look - it's a 2-part thingy which goes ping. You screw the 2 bits together and there's a spring mechanism which fires the sensor probe into your arm, and the round bit that the probe is attached to (what I call the 'Smartie') sticks firmly to your skin. It's VERY sticky - I've read earlier threads where people are comparing too sticky vs not sticky enough - put it this way, I've found it very difficult to unstick it after the 14 days!

I have to admit that I have not yet applied a sensor myself - that's so far been my husband's job (and he takes it very seriously!) - but I'm going to do my next one myself. It's just awkward reaching round to the back of your arm like that, which us why I've delegated the task!

I'm getting much more 'who cares' in my attitude about it when swimming, I'm glad to report - a couple of times I've forgotten the armband and carried on regardless. I have seen some people looking, just a glance, and if anybody asked me about it I'd be fine explaining what it is.

Oh and the other chaps in the shower you mention? They're only jealous...!
;)

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ha ha, that's the spirit ... I lost a leg to cancer when I was 19 so I'm kinda relaxed about anyone staring at me in the pool showers :)

T1DM2012

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @PenfoldAPD

I have been using the Freestylye Libre for a few months now and swim lengths every day for about 1 hour. I believe it is suppose to be fine for up to 30 minutes but as I swim a lot I cover mine to keep it waterproof. To do this I cut a cotton pad down to the size of the sensor and then use opcite a waterproof adhesive plaster and then cover that with H2O rock tape. This stays in place nicely for a week and keeps it totally waterproof.

The Libre is awesome by the way especially for seeing trends. Just remember it is testing fluid not blood so don't expect readings to match your meter.

Good luck

Reactions: 3 people