Is no-one going to mention the BBC news report?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35866238

The film shown on the news this morning showed lots of people in a gym on rolling roads with some of them hanging onto the safety rails. Apparently if you can climb on one of those it prevents diabetes.

This is also a good opportunity to remind people of the NICE dietary advice for T2's.

1.3.3Emphasise advice on healthy balanced eating that is applicable to the general population when providing advice to adults with type 2 diabetes. Encourage high‑fibre, low‑glycaemic‑index sources of carbohydrate in the diet, such as fruit, vegetables, wholegrains and pulses; include low‑fat dairy products and oily fish; and control the intake of foods containing saturated and trans fatty acids.[2009]

It's all very encouraging. That's cynicism in case I need to explain myself.

Reactions: 9 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I only saw the bit that said 'eat plenty of fruit' and I groaned and switched the TV off.

Reactions: 6 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
lol - Exercise 'not key to obesity fight', say scientists

No but it is the key to higher gym memberships. All good if you have shares in/own a gym. ;)

Reactions: 4 people

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Oh yes..I saw all the 'news' too and I was wondering how long it will take before somebody will mention it here. Other day there was article on papers about high(er) fat take will help loose weight! This morning Daily mail is talking about Newcastle diet and reversal of type 2! ....and of course you get public bashing in comments about how people should stop pigging out etc..:mad:..like they truly know what they are talking about:rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
..and of course you get public bashing in comments about how people should stop pigging out etc..:mad:..like they truly know what they are talking about:rolleyes:

When the BBC report something I expect that people are more inclined to believe it.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35866238

The film shown on the news this morning showed lots of people in a gym on rolling roads with some of them hanging onto the safety rails. Apparently if you can climb on one of those it prevents diabetes.

This is also a good opportunity to remind people of the NICE dietary advice for T2's.

1.3.3Emphasise advice on healthy balanced eating that is applicable to the general population when providing advice to adults with type 2 diabetes. Encourage high‑fibre, low‑glycaemic‑index sources of carbohydrate in the diet, such as fruit, vegetables, wholegrains and pulses; include low‑fat dairy products and oily fish; and control the intake of foods containing saturated and trans fatty acids.[2009]

I emailed then to explain not all type 2's are overweight. Stereotype again.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

No need. And don't forget to eat lots of low fat yoghurts full of sugar.[/QUOTE]

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Are we surprised - no. These organisations are all part of a club who copy each others news and never check that the facts are based on good research or just 'experts' who will publish anything to continue their funding. I get a bit fed-up with quotes from Prof Taylor and Newcastle stuff. Of course a low-calorie diet will help with T2 not because it is low calories but because it's lower carb as well as low-fat. Last time I looked the Newcastle research didn't do a parallel study looking at just low-carb or just low-fat. It's not calories that matter but the carbs.

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Irony is the BBC gave low carb a bit of boost in the "Food Truth or Scare" programe where Gloria Hunniford featured her personal success using low carb in managing her type 2.

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Report again shown on the lunchtime BBC news.It may make the loop on BBC News Channel later.Focusing on the preventative measures to help people lose weight, so as not to develop type 2.
So it is not insulin resistance that causes weight gain then and only overweight people will develop type 2 ......err nope.
Even worse the guy being interviewed was happy with his new NHS healthy diet as he was shown chopping up a banana and peeling an orange.Good luck to him I say ....he's gonna need it.
I have a strong suspicion that we here being successfull with LCHF are indeed a small minority.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I watched video of a professor giving a lecture, I forget which one but it came up with a phrase like "Dogma inertia". It's not only dogma. Urban myths also seem to need some eradication. Maybe they can't be shifted since they don't need you to think. Diabetes happens to fat people ......see, that was easy.

andyolly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Doctors telling me to take tablets
Oh, oh my goodness I must be fat

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
When I saw a man cutting up a banana,I didnt think it was worth watching.