The effect of stopping treatment for Type 2 Diabetus

BML

The patient has type 2 Diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and atrial fibrillation and takes the following medication. They have stated that they intend to stop taking all medication. What will be the effect and over what time period?

Metformin 500mg 2 tablets twice a day

Amlodipine 5mg one tablet a day

Sitagliptin 100mg one tablet a day

Lisinopril20mg one tablet a day

Gliclazide 80mg 2 tablets twice a day

Warfarin 5mg one tablet a day

Simvastatin 20mg one tablet a day

Bisoprolol 2.5mg one a day

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, but we don't do medical consultations - against the forum rules and it doesn't pay well enough. ;)

C

catherinecherub

Are you talking about yourself?
You really need to discuss this with your G.P. if it is you who wants to stop all this medication.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had AF and was on a similar amount of drugs. I gradually reduced them whilst following a low carb diet which helped me lose a little weight, (which in turn helped lower my blood pressure) but I discussed each reduction in dose or drug with my GPs over a period of maybe 7 years in total. Now I only take an anti depressant. There is no way I would have stopped taking them all at once.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You need to make sure following discussion with the GP what each piece of medication does and does for the patient and then agree with the GP whether the current dose is right for him/her.

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Without giving medical advice, I can say based on the experience of a close family member that two of the medications on your list mean something to me.

The one on that list I'd be wariest of giving up cold would be warfarin. Presumably it's given for an artificial heart valve or a pacemaker or something similar that makes blood clots much higher risk than for most people. You'd want to reduce the dose gradually under medical supervision with very frequent INR tests and be prepared to increase it again if the INR level got dangerously low.

At the other end of the scale, many people have given up a statin (with or without the agreement or even knowledge of their doctors) with no problems and indeed noticeable improvements.

If I were in the position of wanting to give up a whole list of medications I'd first make sure I understood why each one was prescribed; then I'd talk to my doctor: chances are he'd want to keep me on all of them, but I'd try to get him to list them in order of importance; then if I still wanted to stop taking them I'd tail them off one at a time, following the list order, and observe my body's reactions before moving on to the next one.

Kate

Reactions: 3 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I do not know what would happen if the patient did such a foolish thing or what time scale the full effects would take to manifest them selves. But I do know what would happen if I did a similar thing. If I was lucky I would be making yet another trip to the ICU for an extended stay that's if I where lucky if unlucky I probably would not make it to the ICU. Just a couple of days ago I asked my neurologist about stepping my prednisolone down from 15mg and coming of them altogether no chance, and that was just one out of a long list of medications. I have a feeling that the patient's doctors would have a similar reaction and they would be quite right. If he/she is determined to reduce the medication they take then it should as has been said be done in consultation with their doctor for the patients own safety.

John

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
as a general rule .... Never stop taking longterm medication without talking to your Dr .. I have stopped some of my heart meds .. but with the supervision of my heart nurse who is taking regular blood tests and heart rhythm tests to be sure I am fine on the inside.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there,
Difficult to say but the real question is why would you look to stop all of the medication at once?
I sure there is more to it but would exercise extreme caution and consult GP asap
All the best

MargJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Stopping the heart medication without medical supervision is foolish, especially the warfarin. My husband has heart problems as well as other health problems and took lots of these tablets. Many caused him problems and doctors had to stop or change many of them. If I understand it correctly diabetes increases the risk of heart trouble. People who already have a heart problem are probably at greater risk of further problems so messing with the medication is in my opinion foolish.

Tillysmam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If person wanting to stop medication because of side effects, it would be best to change one at a time. I would suggest the statin first as they are widely reported as having unpleasant side effects. I found they lowered my mood terribly ...

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
The consensus says 'Don't do it'. Certainly not without medical advice. Talk to you doctor. You will probably be surprised how helpful doctors can be when you show how serious you are about your treatment. I speak from experience.
I wish you well.