Foods For a Good Nights Sleep

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Depends entirely on whether I am hungry in the late evening, or not.

jane12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I see, as I am a type 1 if I ate in the evening I would have to take insulin and I don't want to as it is not an exact science so, dependant on what I eat, I could experience a hypo and I would be uncomfortable in the night as I get hot occasionally about 2 hours after taking insulin as it is working hard to remove the carbs.

jrcornwall1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Im on antipsychohics so they knock me out ha ha! lol

Na anythins worth a try mate. If you dont mind meds ask for amytriptiline (sp?) They help relax you a wee bit, a lot of people take them and theyre not addictive

Amitryptiline is an anti-depressant and not an anti-psychotic. It's a very old anti-depressant and not employed regularly by psychiatrists or GP's.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Could someone explain to me why you all need/want to eat/drink before going to bed please?
I wish all of thios made sense to me. I was diagnosed 2 months ago and have had nothing explained. Nobody seems to be bothered

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wish all of thios made sense to me. I was diagnosed 2 months ago and have had nothing explained. Nobody seems to be bothered
Some people eat before going to bed because it stablises their glucose readings others because they need to take medication before going to bed. Everyone is different. You are probably a prediabetic type 2 not pre diabetic type 1. Type 1s are more likely to have a drop in sugar levels and risk going into a hypo ie sugar is too low. type 2 are more likely to have hyper too much sugar. If you go into a hypo during the night it can be very bad for you. This is why some T1s will eat to ensure their glucose levels do not drop too much. If you need anything explaining, do ask. Most people on the forums will respond to direct questions.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Think my post above explains why I eat a supper - a bit more info - I have an adult son with special needs -we eat at 5pm but my nights can be far busier than my days - if he doesn't sleep then I have to be up to keep him safe - I get hungry and also my bs is often in the low 4s before I finally fall into bed - if I don't have a snack about 9 o'clock the little bit of sleep I do get I can be disturbed by me having a small hypo which is completely avoided if I have my earlier snack

I see nothing wrong with a small snack before bed. It helps me sleep. Generally a few pumpkin seeds or celery sticks. Not sure if it's a BS thing or just hunger 4 hours later. Doesn't take much n
But if I don't have it I wake up at midnight hungry. So better to head that off and get a good solid sleep

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to sleep very badly. I'd quite often be awake for 2 or 3 hours in the middle of the night. Since I started eating a lchf diet I've slept through the night from 11pm - 6.30 almost every single night. It's bliss.

I think i used to wake up because of my blood sugar dropping, as I would quite often be ravenous even at 3am. Now, I think there's far less peaks and troughs of blood sugar.

I eat quite early, usually around 6pm, because I go to the gym every evenjng. Occasionally when i get back from the gym I have a handful of nuts, but usually I don't. I always have a cup of coffee last thing, and that doesn't keep me awake, but I know lots of people don't drink caffeine in the evening..

I really hope you find something that helps you sleep, @amgrundy. Sleep deprivation is just horrible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
my main meal at 4pm then lots of mugs of tea for afters

jane12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some people eat before going to bed because it stablises their glucose readings others because they need to take medication before going to bed. Everyone is different. You are probably a prediabetic type 2 not pre diabetic type 1. Type 1s are more likely to have a drop in sugar levels and risk going into a hypo ie sugar is too low. type 2 are more likely to have hyper too much sugar. If you go into a hypo during the night it can be very bad for you. This is why some T1s will eat to ensure their glucose levels do not drop too much. If you need anything explaining, do ask. Most people on the forums will respond to direct questions.
I am a TYPE 1 diabetic, as is my son also , my partner is type 2 . He doesn't eat before going to bed and I was curious as to why people felt it was necessary.

sky

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
fracking-nuclear-artic drilling- genetically modified foods-monsanto-mega dairies
Hi, I have just found this information, " Foods For A Good Nights sleep"
1. Half a banana / a handful of Almonds or cherries
2. Wholegrain crackers with peanut butter.
3. Small mug of warm milk.
4. Half a turkey sandwich / with low sugar cranberry sauce
Interesting going to try these as I would give anything for a good nights sleep.:)
all seem to be about some protein, and a bit of carb--wonder which is doing the most good...

suemac1960

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I always have something to eat around 9pm - 10pm till helps to stop me going hypo during the night.

Magisham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Think a hammer might work with my partner!!!!!! Everything else seems to have failed.

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A smal piece of hard cheese before going to sleep helps me
Also seems to cut down dawn phenomenon. 5.6 vs 6.3 without
Any food from 7 pm to 7 am

S

Sean01

Hi, I have just found this information, " Foods For A Good Nights sleep"
1. Half a banana / a handful of Almonds or cherries
2. Wholegrain crackers with peanut butter.
3. Small mug of warm milk.
4. Half a turkey sandwich / with low sugar cranberry sauce
Interesting going to try these as I would give anything for a good nights sleep.:)
I can explain the milk and turkey - high in tryptophan - an amino acid that promotes relaxing sleep - especially in warmed milk. As for the other items, I'm no expert but these look like high carb items, slow rel;ease carbs but carbs all the same. If I ate these I would fall asleep almost instantly at any time of day. I once ate a banana at an all day revision course for a professional exam. The stuff we revised in the morning - no problem, but the stuff we revised after lunch (banana) - absolutely clueless, blank, as if I wasn't there.

S

Sean01

Th almonds would be fine, I have a supper of about 12g of carbs - sometimes a sandwich of 1 slice of burgen stuffed with salad - lettuce is supposed to be sophomoric - can't say it helps me sleep because home circumstances mean a four hour sleep is a good night for me - I eat supper because I am hungry - I get up at 5 am and don't get to bed until at least midnight - sometimes don't get to bed at all - I eat my tea at 5 so definitely couldn't get through my night without some supper at 9ish!
Th almonds would be fine, I have a supper of about 12g of carbs - sometimes a sandwich of 1 slice of burgen stuffed with salad - lettuce is supposed to be sophomoric - can't say it helps me sleep because home circumstances mean a four hour sleep is a good night for me - I eat supper because I am hungry - I get up at 5 am and don't get to bed until at least midnight - sometimes don't get to bed at all - I eat my tea at 5 so definitely couldn't get through my night without some supper at 9ish!
saw your stats/byline 145 lbs - wow. Fantastic.