New! Still settling

chloegeek

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your GP should have received a copy of the result so you can ask them. You may be able to find your local screening programme (usually based by county) by using this postcode/town search:- http://www.nhs.uk/Service-Search/Diabetic eye screening/LocationSearch/1911

It's worth checking that they have recorded your address correctly on their database otherwise you won't receive a screening invitation next year.
Thank you :) I'll have a look in the morning and probably contact the GPs office too. I think I'm due an appointment with the local nurse anyway. Been meaning to book it but I've been so busy with university.

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi there, just wanted to welcome you to the forum.
Take care RRB :)

Reactions: 2 people

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, sorry I'm a little late to the game, I don't come on here an awful lot anymore, partly on account of my horrendous final year of uni! I'm 22 and have also just had my first diaversary (I like that term!). Here if you need any questions. Working nights can reek havoc for blood sugar so I'm not surprised that you're struggling. Putting in the work is definitely worth it though, I feel so much better both physically and emotionally when I've got things under good control. I think it's important to find a balance, there's a lot of people on here who would be horrified to know how much **** I eat! But if you've done the work to get your ratios right, and your weight/hba1cs etc. are all good then that's what matters.

chloegeek

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, sorry I'm a little late to the game, I don't come on here an awful lot anymore, partly on account of my horrendous final year of uni! I'm 22 and have also just had my first diaversary (I like that term!). Here if you need any questions. Working nights can reek havoc for blood sugar so I'm not surprised that you're struggling. Putting in the work is definitely worth it though, I feel so much better both physically and emotionally when I've got things under good control. I think it's important to find a balance, there's a lot of people on here who would be horrified to know how much **** I eat! But if you've done the work to get your ratios right, and your weight/hba1cs etc. are all good then that's what matters.
I have spent these past two weeks working really hard to figure things out better, especially now that I'm approaching the end of my first year of uni and my first year of diabetes! I've pulled my average reading (across 100 tests including post meal readings) down from 11 to about 6.8 so I'm really happy right now! I just need to keep it up I guess as my honeymoon slowly comes to an end.

I've been using an app that has really really helped me with working out stuff like my carb ratios and insulin sensitivity at different times of the day.

Thank you so much for offering help and support. It's always so nice to hear from people. I hope your final year is going well! And I hope your diaversery was as awesome as it could be!

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What degree are you doing?
That's really good, a significant change!! It's hard work but it does feel so much better doesn't it. I was told to expect my HBA1C to creep up whilst I'm coming out of the honeymoon period, it's natural so I think we need to try and not beat ourselves up about it. I'm in exactly the same position though, using ratios of 1:10-13 through the day but only 5 units Lantus (basal) so I think there's definitely still an element of honeymooning there.
Which app is it? I'd love to take a look :) I use an Accu-Chek expert monitor which helps so much with that sort of thing. It sucks having diabetes but I try to remind myself how lucky I am to have been diagnosed at a time where technology is so advanced, it's a massive help.

chloegeek

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What degree are you doing?
That's really good, a significant change!! It's hard work but it does feel so much better doesn't it. I was told to expect my HBA1C to creep up whilst I'm coming out of the honeymoon period, it's natural so I think we need to try and not beat ourselves up about it. I'm in exactly the same position though, using ratios of 1:10-13 through the day but only 5 units Lantus (basal) so I think there's definitely still an element of honeymooning there.
Which app is it? I'd love to take a look :) I use an Accu-Chek expert monitor which helps so much with that sort of thing. It sucks having diabetes but I try to remind myself how lucky I am to have been diagnosed at a time where technology is so advanced, it's a massive help.
I'm doing a Games Technology degree :) Learning how to design and build computer and console games. It's a lot of fun but is also surprisingly challenging. What about you? :D

It does feel super good to be in the better ranges. So much more energy and just generally feeling better.

Our insulin seems to be reversed! I'm on 8 units of Lantus, but my carb ratio is between about 16:1 and 14:1

My monitor is the WaveSense Jazz it's a mixed bag in terms of a meter, I can download my readings and look at them but it's also super restrictive so I've taken to manually recording my readings in the app I use. It's called Diabetes:M. It's been doing wonders for helping me make sense of all of the data I've been collecting (I've been a bit obsessed with getting readings these past few weeks so that I could fix my levels)

I've only been using it a couple of weeks though so I'm still learning my way around it

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow that's cool I bet, computers are a mystery to me. I'm just finishing an MChem chemistry degree :) Ah ok, sounds like we both are probably still honeymooning a little.
Ok, yeah I've not heard great things about it but I think it gets prescribed because the strips are cheap. I've just been lucky to have got a really good monitor that my GP is happy to prescribe strips for. I'll have to check it out :) Being a fellow scientist I'm a sucker for some data collection haha

chloegeek

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow that's cool I bet, computers are a mystery to me. I'm just finishing an MChem chemistry degree :) Ah ok, sounds like we both are probably still honeymooning a little.
Ok, yeah I've not heard great things about it but I think it gets prescribed because the strips are cheap. I've just been lucky to have got a really good monitor that my GP is happy to prescribe strips for. I'll have to check it out :) Being a fellow scientist I'm a sucker for some data collection haha
Chemistry is awesome. I wish I understood more of it. The closest I get to any kind of chemistry is prop making and prototyping which as fun as it is, is like, not even Secondary School levels of chemistry.

Your doctor sounds awesome. I'm thinking of asking mine if he will change my prescription if I buy myself a new meter. The cost of the strips is pretty similar so it really shouldn't be that big a deal? Oh well!

I know what you mean about data, it's really sad but I love collecting and looking at all kinds of data, it's why I own a fitbit and all sorts of other things, love just looking back through at what I've collected and trying to figure out what's going on.

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha so do I!! ;)
Yeah I've been pretty lucky really. I've heard that if you write to a manufacturer some will even send you a monitor for free, because it's the strips they make their money on long term. I would definitely make sure you can get them prescribed first though.
Haha I'm glad I'm not alone! I go a bit spreadsheets crazy sometimes. I've tried to stop fixating too much because I think that being early days it's not always hugely helpful for fine-tuning, though I'm sure in the long run it's good practise.

chloegeek

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha so do I!! ;)
Yeah I've been pretty lucky really. I've heard that if you write to a manufacturer some will even send you a monitor for free, because it's the strips they make their money on long term. I would definitely make sure you can get them prescribed first though.
Haha I'm glad I'm not alone! I go a bit spreadsheets crazy sometimes. I've tried to stop fixating too much because I think that being early days it's not always hugely helpful for fine-tuning, though I'm sure in the long run it's good practise.
I think you're right. Now that I've dialed things in a bit more closely I've dropped back to only testing around 5 or so times a day. I figure once my pancreas finishes it's melodrama and finally gives out completely I'll start testing much more rigourously again. Hopefully I can afford a CGM by then too.

Amsjadee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
sports, reading
Hi everyone!

I'm Chloe. I'm 24 and I was diagnosed with Type 1 in July of last year (So I'm coming up on my first diaversery!).

Anyway, I signed up because I've been finding myself feeling a little more alone internally due to not knowing any other type 1s. I guess I'm mostly here to try and make a few friends! I think getting to talk to more people who also have type 1 might encourage me to improve my control.

Anyway, nice to meet you all!

Hiya Chloe, its lovely to meet you. I am 17 and have bee type 1 or a year an a half and theres still so much to learn everyday.