JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Hi I was just wondering, as I awoke this morning with a fbg of 4.4 if it is correct that diabetics with a BG of less than 5 should not drive. And if it is true does it apply only to T1s or does it apply also to T2s.

Also if it does apply to T2s how if they do not test do they know if they are safe to drive.

Reactions: 2 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The DVLA advise that if blood glucose level is 5mmol/l or less you should take carbohydrate before driving. If it is less tnan 4mmol/l do not drive'

And this applies to all diabetics?

If so NICE and most doctors are complicit in encouraging an awful lot of T2s in possibly driving in an unfit state by discouraging them from testing.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

If so NICE and most doctors are complicit in encouraging an awful lot of T2s in possibly driving in an unfit state by discouraging them from testing.
From what I understand it applies to all diabetics who are on insulin.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.

Hello John, the DVLA applies the rule for any diabetic who is taking insulin.

If you are on insulin, check your blood glucose within two hours before getting behind the wheel and every two hours whilst driving. The DVLA advise that if blood glucose is 5mmol/l or less you should take carbohydrate before driving. If it is less than 4mmol/l do not drive.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
"
Hypos and driving
The licensing agencies are trying to ensure you are safe on the road. They will be concerned if you are unable to recognise or self-treat your hypos.

If you are on insulin, check your blood glucose within two hours before getting behind the wheel and every two hours whilst driving.

The DVLA advise that if blood glucose is 5mmol/l or less you should take carbohydrate before driving. If it is less than 4mmol/l do not drive. See advice below on hypo advice for drivers.

If you hold a Group 2 licence and take non-insulin medication which may cause a hypo you should check your levels at least twice per day at times relevant to driving. The results should be recorded on the meter memory."

So it's only insulin dependant or those taking hypo causing meds T2 HGV drivers who need to test. I see.

Mind you I am not on insulin and only take metformin but woke up one day the other week with a BG of 3.9 and this morning with 4.4.

Reactions: 4 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi. In principle it should apply to anyone - even non diabetics as a blood sugar below 4mmol could become dangerous. Normally the DVLA only worries about insulin users but those on Gliclazide may go hypo if the dose is too high. You may be one of those whose blood sugar can dive down and I think we always say that any diabetic should have a meter so they can understand their body.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

If it applied to all diabetic I'd only be able to drive just after a meal. Thankfully, most of we T2s are not implicated in that requirement.

Leaving aside the requirements, clearly if you were to be low and feel a bit off, it makes sense to defer driving until you feel better, by whatever means that is.

Reactions: 4 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@AndBreathe Yes I agree but this morning I was not aware until I tested and in the mornings soon after getting up and dressed I drive my wife to work also as I have multiple co-morbidities I could easily attribute it to something else take my meds for that and carry on with my normal routine. So I can see I am going to have to be more vigilant.

Reactions: 6 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreathe Yes I agree but this morning I was not aware until I tested and in the mornings soon after getting up and dressed I drive my wife to work also as I have multiple co-morbidities I could easily attribute it to something else take my meds for that and carry on with my normal routine. So I can see I am going to have to be more vigilant.

How do you normally feel in the 4s? I'm absolutely fine until I get much, much lower, but I've become used to low scores over time.

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you got your answer, but it seems to have been spread over several posts.

Diabetic hypos are only a concern when there insulin is artificially in the mix: either because you are dosing with insulin - OR - you are taking a medication that makes the pancreas secrete insulin (sulfonylureas). The risk of diabetic hypos is associated with having more insulin in your system than is needed to respond to food ingested. When you are adding it, your dose and timing may not match the rhythms of digestion so the added insulin may remove too much (or have the wrong timing) and when you are encouraging your pancreas to secrete it at a steady state (sulfonylureas) - it is there whether food is being digested or not. So if you're only on Metformin (or not on anything at all), you're no more likely to have a hypo than a non-diabetics.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Oh well that's OK no need to worry then. So when the Blood sugar checker on this site tells me I'm Hypoglycemic from now on I can just disregard it :)

It's OK I get it so I'll shut up about it now :)

Last edited by a moderator:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh well that's OK no need to worry then. So when the Blood sugar checker on this site tells me I'm Hypoglycemic from now on I can just disregard it :)

John, whilst you are just taking Metformin it is ulikely, although not impossible, you would suffer a hypo, and even more rarely likely to suffer from a hypo that could endanger your own life (leaving aside the driving issues here!). Fortunately, our livers, and functioning pancreases try to rescue us of we dip a bit lower than usual.

Overall, my bloods naturally run pretty low these days, and I see 3s most days, based on finger prick testing, and almost all days if I am sporting a Libre at the time. My body just seems to run that way since I trimmed up my body and carb consumption.

Not everyone sees 3s, and it's no big deal for those who don't. We don't have to be in the 3s to be healthy. Indeed some non-diabetics would see 3s if they tested; some wouldn't, just depending on how their individual bodies operate, but clearly, few non-diabetic folks (who have never been diagnosed) test regularly.

Listen to your body. If you feel off; don't drive, irrespective of what number your blood meter might say.

Should you ever start taking insulin, then all bets are off and the overall game changes.

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

It's OK I get it so I'll shut up about it now :)

A bit like being between a rock and a hard place for you John :rolleyes: all the best :)

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi I was just wondering, as I awoke this morning with a fbg of 4.4 if it is correct that diabetics with a BG of less than 5 should not drive. And if it is true does it apply only to T1s or does it apply also to T2s.

Also if it does apply to T2s how if they do not test do they know if they are safe to drive.
I'm glad you asked that...it is good to be reminded of these things..particularly now that my blood sugars start to get to lower range more regularly! :happy:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
How do you normally feel in the 4s? I'm absolutely fine until I get much, much lower, but I've become used to low scores over time.
When I was at 3.9 I felt ghastly 4.4 this morning not as bad but unwell but if I hadn't tested I could have just doubled my dose of mestinon and shrugged it off.

I feel I should add that this morning I did not think hypo immediately just that I was probbably low on acetocholyne

joe-90

I'm pretty new to this regular testing regime. Would I be right in suggesting that the 'dawn phenomena' is actually a good thing, akin to pulling out the choke on an old fashioned car until it warms up?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yes like extra fuel for a quick start only we seem to have a flooded carburettor.