Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yup.
Could be the cheese.
Or pesticides on the increased veg.
Or a change in soap, shampoo, or the heating, or washing powder, or...
Stress is a trigger too.
As i said, we may all have different triggers.
The only way you would find out is by an elimination diet.

ReducingTum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A suggestion to treat the symptoms is to apply coconut oil. Helped my wife with her condition whilst seeking to identify the underlying cause.

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wanted to ask if a suddenly dry and crusty skin is a symptom of diabetes or not? Just this last week I've suddenly got dry cracking patches on my face... worrying.
Hi Fran, I do get very dry peeling skin around the nose, chin and forehead area. One of the things I find really helps is E45 cream, just shove it on and leave it to soak in for a while and then wipe it away. Hope this helps :) (Not sure if its a sympton of diabetes as it comes on and off, but could be linked to the central heating, or air con at work.

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coriander leaf, chillis, celery, sausages,
A podiatrist friend told me that there are diabetic changes to the skin on feet, so presumably there can be other skin changes as well. I was getting scabby round my nose and bought a super strength moisturiser which has worked well.
Re glasses marking your face - I've also developed mature acne and have been using something that is currently advertised heavily on TV. It's taken away the chew marks and the nose ones!

I have noticed some tiny spots now and then too. Saw the Nurse Practitioner today, when I said I'd wondered if the scabby face was diabetes related she didn't say anything but her facial expression said - oh yes, certainly could be and you'll probably get lots more little things coming along to annoy you! Agravating.

No idea what the heavily advertised thing could be, I turn adverts off if I can. And read a book while they are on.

Rubyroobs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wanted to ask if a suddenly dry and crusty skin is a symptom of diabetes or not? Just this last week I've suddenly got dry cracking patches on my face... worrying.
Good evening!
I seemed to get really dry flaky skin on my legs when diagnosed with diabetes. I discovered ( by accident) that eating a handful of almonds a day seemed to sort it out. When I made the connection I stopped eating them and bingo my hideous flaky legs reappeared! I went back on the almonds and they cleared up again. I am convinced almonds addressed this and continue eating them

newlifehelp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Psoriasis is supposed to be higher with type 1 and 2. I've had psoriasis attacks for many years - I find the hair one is linked more to stress and the skin throat infections but thats just me. I make my own creams, it is worth the effort to put on cream without additives & perfumes. I would suggest trying hot cloth washes with olive oil twice a day to see if that helps as an easy start.
That sounds like a good idea. I have red dry skin on my cheeks. Think its been going on for a while, but went through a bit of depression/denial recently and didnt much bother about moisturising routine, just soap and water. So rather than invest in some over priced miracle cream i am going to try your suggestion.

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good evening!
I seemed to get really dry flaky skin on my legs when diagnosed with diabetes. I discovered ( by accident) that eating a handful of almonds a day seemed to sort it out. When I made the connection I stopped eating them and bingo my hideous flaky legs reappeared! I went back on the almonds and they cleared up again. I am convinced almonds addressed this and continue eating them
Or maybe its the increased oil from the almonds that is doing it. Dry skin is a sign of thyroid problems also common with diabetes. Make sure you are getting enough oil/fats in your diets but not too much as that will give you spots lol

Reactions: 2 people
Interesting. I had a dry, flakey forehead. I never had dry skin before. I found out I had elevated glucose levels and started to test and manage my diet. Levels are down and skin is back to normal but I hadn't made the connection until I saw this thread.

bilb_baggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi have very dry skin and was told it goes with being diabetic but i have psoriasis in my scalp and was told by my doctor it was heridatry so dont know if that is linked with diabetes but i didnt suffer until i was diagnosed.

Rubyroobs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Or maybe its the increased oil from the almonds that is doing it. Dry skin is a sign of thyroid problems also common with diabetes. Make sure you are getting enough oil/fats in your diets but not too much as that will give you spots lol
Thanks for the tip !

Jamcan

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Yes dry skin is a sign of thyroid problems,but I had thyroid problems before (also been treated ) I had the dry skin.,but since I have been on the metformin it has been horrible my scalp comes off in patches.

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coriander leaf, chillis, celery, sausages,

Gosh, I had no idea thyroid problems were connected to diabetes, does that affect your memory and thinking processes?

My memory is atrocious, my mum's is seriously bad, she attended a memory clinic and still has many memory related problems, and it seems like her personality is different. Some years ago she had an op on her pituitary gland to remove a cyst, doing this cut some of the blood vessels in the brain, and she's been on thyroid medication ever since. Docs don't think she's getting any worse, and although I don't think her memory is as good as they think it is, and she does weird things sometimes that I can't understand (no logic to it) she hasn't got much worse since, it's just like occasionally another bolt or screw comes loose and you don't know what weird thing she'll do next time.
Now if all that's related to the op she had, then that's one thing, but if it's something else, something that could be inherited, then the future looks really bleak for me and my kids, and if that could be worsened by diabetes... well - a future nightmare looms for me.
I have athritis, so bits of me seize up now and then, and the one thing that keeps me going is my brain, by that I mean that if my brain began to disintegrate too... well, what of me would be left? It's a horrifying vision.

When my husband and I sit watching a recorded "Pointless", and even on pause, I can't come up with things I know I know, and he can... it's very depressing.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dr Bernstein says 90 % of his patients have psoriasis to some extent. May be as little as dry elbows. Will improve with lower BG.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My skins so dry when I get in the bath the level goes down not up.

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gosh, I had no idea thyroid problems were connected to diabetes, does that affect your memory and thinking processes?

My memory is atrocious, my mum's is seriously bad, she attended a memory clinic and still has many memory related problems, and it seems like her personality is different. Some years ago she had an op on her pituitary gland to remove a cyst, doing this cut some of the blood vessels in the brain, and she's been on thyroid medication ever since. Docs don't think she's getting any worse, and although I don't think her memory is as good as they think it is, and she does weird things sometimes that I can't understand (no logic to it) she hasn't got much worse since, it's just like occasionally another bolt or screw comes loose and you don't know what weird thing she'll do next time.
Now if all that's related to the op she had, then that's one thing, but if it's something else, something that could be inherited, then the future looks really bleak for me and my kids, and if that could be worsened by diabetes... well - a future nightmare looms for me.
I have athritis, so bits of me seize up now and then, and the one thing that keeps me going is my brain, by that I mean that if my brain began to disintegrate too... well, what of me would be left? It's a horrifying vision.

When my husband and I sit watching a recorded "Pointless", and even on pause, I can't come up with things I know I know, and he can... it's very depressing.

Ask if you have low vitamin D or B levels next time you have blood work done. There is some research out there saying low vitamin D has an effect on people with memory problems.