50 years with type 1 diabetes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welfordroad52

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On the 5th of April 2015 I reached the milestone of 50 years on insulin with no complications :)
I too, have reached the 50 mile milestone with no complications, Have just been told my Blood Sugars are too low HBA of 6.3. I have strived hard to avoid high blood sugars to avoid the possible complications so am a little perturbed at the change in policies. How can I change the habits of 50 years!! As for cures, I offered myself for research at my last appointment and was laughed at ....no chance of any cure yet I was told

Reactions: 2 people

Bob991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
On the 5th of April 2015 I reached the milestone of 50 years on insulin with no complications :)
In July I will be 51 years although I had a lot of laser and cataract removal. But now I can see better than I could before I was diagnosed. We're very lucky that we have the technology now we didn't have then. Well done!!!

Reactions: 6 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I too, have reached the 50 mile milestone with no complications, Have just been told my Blood Sugars are too low HBA of 6.3. I have strived hard to avoid high blood sugars to avoid the possible complications so am a little perturbed at the change in policies. How can I change the habits of 50 years!! As for cures, I offered myself for research at my last appointment and was laughed at ....no chance of any cure yet I was told
In July I will be 51 years although I had a lot of laser and cataract removal. But now I can see better than I could before I was diagnosed. We're very lucky that we have the technology now we didn't have then. Well done!!!
Many congratulations to the pair of you as well. It's always nice to hear the positives rather than the negatives.

BJA

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've had it 58 years this May I think back and realise that today it is much easier for people with diabetes. In 1957 I spent 3 weeks in hospital being stabilised then my diet was based on black & red lines. I had to sterilise my srynges and needles. There were no diet drinks no nutrition information on packets. But I'm still here - my policy has been positive and i've always said diabetes lives with me I don't live with it.

Reactions: 6 people

Parisemo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had type 1 57 years this October, being stupid in my teenage years have suffered retinopathy, registered blind and other complications. Well done, I take care now have done for the past 34 years.

Reactions: 5 people

Sundial1962

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This January I had been diabetic for 54 years. I held a very demanding full time teaching job for 40 years and still teach two days a week. My parents were told there would soon be a cure when I was diagnosed but we are still not quite there, are we? I was told in my late teens that having children would be very difficult and I would spend at least ten weeks in hospital. To prove them wrong I went in the day I had my son, 35 years ago, armed with the first blood testing machine in my home town. Fifteen months later, my daughter was born. I have been told all my life things would be too difficult to undertake but that made me more determined to do it, from going abroad on a school trip when I was fifteen to going back to work the day after an operation under anaesthetic. Yes there have been challenging times but in some respects diabetes has made me the determined person I am. I've had laser treatment on my eyes, and a cataract removed, tendons in my hand released and kidney stones but life is like that. Who knows what might or might not have happened. My way of thinking is to do your best to overcome difficulties in the best way you can and appreciate what you have got. There are always rewards. My husband, children, career and friends are more important than my diabetes!

Reactions: 4 people

JRH

I was diagnosed with type 1 Diabetes in March 1960 when I was 13 years old. I was told that it was likely that a cure would be found. sometime in tha future, but no hint of how long that may be !! I have not given up hope yet.

Reactions: 4 people

Glynis1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cats, loud music and yoghurt
Did you get a medal and if so how did you apply? I will be at my 50 years in six months so I am interested in how you can get the medal.

Sundial1962

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, 53 years for me. Did your mum boil your syringe and needles?
Well done all you fifty pluses. There seems to be a good number of us about...

I remember lots of surgical spirit. The house smelt of it. Also on a Sunday I was allowed fifteen Smarties as a special treat.

blinddate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have had diabetes for 56 years. I have many complications. Retinopathy in my early 20s, kidney disease in late 30s, but still not needing dialysis, heart disease at 50, major heart attack at 54; but I am still alive. I also have thyroid problems. I have always been very brittle with lots of hypos
Blinddate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well done.I'm up to 51 years on the insulin now,but unfortunately have side effects.You've done well not to suffer any of them.

RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great job! I'm hoping there's another 25 years of uncomplicated life coming your way.
It's amazing: When you add up all the years of those who've posted here, together we have so much experience!

RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Remember coming home from hospital and crying my eyes out after being diagnosed, my dad said don't worry as medical science was moving at a fast pace and they'd likely be a cure in the next 10 years.............that was 33 years ago :rolleyes:
I was told the cure was "just around the corner" in 1968. This has been the longest block ever - with that corner still not in sight! I had to give up hoping for a cure and just live as though this was my life. I'm glad I did, but I still hope...

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Did you get a medal and if so how did you apply? I will be at my 50 years in six months so I am interested in how you can get the medal.
My GP wrote to Diabetes UK asking for the medal as I had clocked up the 50 years, it duly arrived in the post. I gave the medal to my Mum as it was down to her that I survived with no complications. Mum gave me that grounding in how to look after myself and also not to use diabetes as an excuse for not doing something or anything.

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not bad if you subscribe to "Diabetes UK" you can get your gold medal for surviving that length of time as I received mine 5 years ago ,so I have been a T1 for 55 years

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not bad if you subscribe to "Diabetes UK" you can get your gold medal for surviving that length of time as I received mine 5 years ago ,so I have been a T1 for 55 years
You don't have to subscribe Diabetes UK to receive the medal :)

TJR56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had it 58 years this May I think back and realise that today it is much easier for people with diabetes. In 1957 I spent 3 weeks in hospital being stabilised then my diet was based on black & red lines. I had to sterilise my srynges and needles. There were no diet drinks no nutrition information on packets. But I'm still here - my policy has been positive and i've always said diabetes lives with me I don't live with it.

Totally agree! I too remember red and black lines, the urine test in the test tube, boiling the glass and metal syringe, carting it all round with me. Things have moved on so much: self blood-monitoring meant closer control; disposable syringes and the pen brought greater freedom. I'm now at 58 years Type 1 and have in the past two years had blocked femoral arteries in my legs reducing blood supply there (or pressures anyway) to 65% - but I still work part-time and drive so I can't complain!

Congratulations to all of you. Play the diabetes management with skill and you can still live a good life!

Reactions: 3 people

barme1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
There used to be 15 year medal, but they were stopped when the British diabetic association decided far to many people were living way beyond the 15 year mark so they then took the 25 year medal away as well.
Looking on the bright side the 50 year medal will probably go soon as well as so many living way beyond this date :)
I've never heard of 15 or 20 year medal, but I did get a 50 year medal. did hear there was a 60 year medal but fast approaching 61 years and not received anything yet.

Reactions: 3 people
Status
Not open for further replies.