is this true

tezza

back at docs yesterday ,the same old disagrement,why wont you give me lancets ect,well got no joy,then she started to explain all about hypo,s,quote,(under no sercumstance can you have a hypo if you are not on medication but keep a plain biccy handy )confused ,well yes i am :mrgreen: so off i go to chemist,the nice lady who works there,her brother being diabetic has made me a apointment to see the pharmacist ,onwards and upwards as they say,try all avenues.(im type 2 no meds ,but no bg check iether.)ive sent for a free meter ,heres hopeing i can aford the extras :?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
under no sercumstance can you have a hypo if you are not on medication but keep a plain biccy handy

After reading that quote I think you should change your GP. She obviously knows very little about the human body !! ANYBODY, Diabetic or NOT can suffer from hypoglycaemic episodes. They can be caused by a simple lack of food, an unusual amount of exercise, a delayed meal, stress or hot weather.
If anybody repeats that to you they are just plain wrong.

On the one hand the Doc is telling you you can't possibly have a hypo, then tells you to keep something handy like a biscuit.......which would very slowly elevate your Bg levels. Not exactly the traditional method of dealing with a hypo. If you eat sensibly you probably will never hypo, and as a Type 2 you should 'liver dump' and no real harm other than feeling cr*p will befall you.however if your Bg is ultra low, then yes, you most definitely could hypo even without any meds. A fact. You should have various symptoms before you actually reach the hypo levels which are termed 'hypo awareness'. If you still feel Ok at lower levels then that is usually because you have been running too low for too long and your body 'thinks' it is normal....it isn't. So try to stay out of the 'zone', anything below 4 mmol/l is considered hypoglycaemic. The Doc should be aware of all that.

Hypo symptoms....sweating, faintness, paleness, headache, tingling lips, pounding of heart, anxiety,
blurred vision, hunger, irritability/confusion, lack of concentration, personality change, difficulty waking, shaking. I'm a Type 2 and I get some, not all of these symptoms when I have a hypo.....well actually when I drop to around 4.3......but then my hypo awareness is very good.

Not giving you the means to test your Bg levels so that you can see what effect certain foods have on yout Bg levels is foolish, but unfortunately par for the course nowadays. It seems we really have to fight our corner armed with the facts if we are to get what we need, meter and strips, etc. Keep trying. Maybe you should copy this answer and 'accidentally' drop it in the good Doc's in tray.....you never know we might just educate somebody........ :twisted:

As for the strips etc, try EBay. I supplement my prescribed strips on there and frequently get them at less than half price. Don't forget as a Diabetic you can have the VAT removed when purchasing meter's strips etc from a Pharmacy and even online. Not through Ebay unless it is a recognised store selling stuff.

wallycorker

My doctor gives me the same advice and I think I understand what he is saying. Similarly, he tells me that as a Type 2 on metformin only then I'm no more likely to have an hypoglycaemic episode than a non-diabetic person. I understand that to mean that the hypo incident is not going to cause me any serious problem and would at worst would lead to something such as light headedness. He also tells me if sufffer such an episode then all I need to do is to eat something such as a biscuit.

In the early days of my improvement programme, I quite often found my blood glucose levels went below 4 before meals - sometimes as low as 3.4 - i.e. technically hypo'. However, whenever this happened I wasn't aware that I was low without testing - I felt exactly the same whether mlevel y blood glucose was low or in double figures.

Since I brought down my blood glucose levels into the generally accepted normal range - i.e. between 4 and 6 fasting and 8 max one hour after eating - then the low readings seem to have disappeared too. I can't remember the last time that I recorded a reading below 4. Is that something that is to be expected?

tezza

thanks cuglia for youre answer,i do get a lot of those effects,ie, sweat,shakes,palputations,i grab a digestive and a sugary drink if able,as i said in last post going to see pharmasist tuesday to be :? all over again see what advice i can get, and yes i agree with finding another doctor,still looking for a nice friendly one with a nice manner who will listen to what you say and has a understanding of diabetes,and lets you sit on the chair for more than 3mins, :lol: is there sutch a person out there :?: