Should Lucozade be exempted from the sugar tax?

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Just a thought, know it's fiddly but would it be worth wrapping them individually in cling film once opened?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Just a thought, know it's fiddly but would it be worth wrapping them individually in cling film once opened?

I hadn't even thought of that, but, in a low hypo, trying to figure out why I can't get to glucotab and out of the clingfilm/wrapper, may not be of help :wideyed:

Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hadn't even thought of that, but, in a low hypo, trying to figure out why I can't get to glucotab and out of the clingfilm/wrapper, may not be of help :wideyed:

The cling film would certainly slow the absorption rate...

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

As I said, just a thought.

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't use Lucozade as a hypo treatment because I don't like it... I use Ribena sometimes (though there're all kinds of threats about reducing the sugar levels, which would be annoying) and jelly babies or similar sometimes (which are a bit less effective but much tastier). The tax is at such a low rate that, to most people (myself included), it won't make much difference - I'd have to have an awful lot of hypos before it made a noticeable difference to my financial situation. (Of course, this isn't the same for everyone - I hope that people for whom it is a significant cost increase can get equivalents on prescription).

Reactions: 4 people

gscorey

I'd make diabetics exempt from this sugar tax.
Give each diabetic some form of ID card that is scanned in shops that takes the sugar tax away from certain drinks such as lucozade when bought by us.
Sugar tax shouldn't be used to punish us when it's occasionally nessesaray but should be used for the reason it has been brought in
Totally Agree

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel the thread is now lost all usefulness and even when an attempt has been made to bring it back on topic this is ignored and mocked.

It is disappointing to read.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel the thread is now lost all usefulness and even when an attempt has been made to bring it back on topic this is ignored and mocked.

It is disappointing to read.

"Mocked"?? I've seen cancer patients carry on working.. Lay witness to an amputee get to his job on a moped. The elderly carry on in employment to supliment a meagre pension.. (& that's just in this country.)
I have seen optimism, innovation & above all? Inspiration..
Trying to "blag" a few pence of the cost of living for everyone, undermines what we are & can be...

Reactions: 5 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I would just like to point out that lucozade is slightly different from other sugar filled drinks. Lucozade uses Glucose Syrup. Whereas the others use sucrose which is a mix of fructose and glucose so you do not actually know how much insulin soaking glucose you have had. fructose is processed by the body and does not require insulin.

This does put L in a slightly different category. Should the manufacturer be exempt the charge (not a tax) no as they are greedy corporations anyway.
Will they pass it on? I doubt it as a direct price increase as it is so small.
Will they make the bottle size smaller to compensate? I expect so by about 10% so they can rip us all off more.
Will I buy it when I could eat liquorice instead? Nope

Reactions: 3 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
"Mocked"?? I've seen cancer patients carry on working.. Lay witness to an amputee get to his job on a moped. The elderly carry on in employment to supliment a meagre pension.. (& that's just in this country.)
Trying to "blag" a few pence of the cost of living for everyone, undermines what we are & can be...
Jaylee these things may be correct but what @catapillar is saying that no matter how much this thread has been nudged people have got hot under the collar and are arguing for the sake of arguing and not actually moving the conversation on.

Can all posters please try to calm down and think how the other party is going to feel and react to your post.

Reactions: 2 people

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I certainly did read asking if an exemption card should be flavoured as nothing more than mocking. Was it not intended to be?

You clearly disagree with the idea of an exemption and you have reasons for your opinion which you have expressed above. That, to me anyway, is a much more interesting and thought provoking way of engaging in the discussion and gives much more power to your opinion.

I have my own thoughts on the idea and the tax, but I was interested in learning from other view points, which I was unable to do the way the thread had gone.

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Back on topic... If Lucozade is made exempt then what about the other drinks people use for hypo? Ribena, Coca Cola etc?

God point, some use cartons of orange juice too.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
never heard that before.

I used to eat liquorice and I loved it, such a wonderful taste and sometimes grey/black teeth ( back to my childhood) :) but many have gluten in them, not all I know, so I haven't eaten it for about 3 years now :(

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
If there is such strong depth of feeling about the L drink, is there a petition campaigning against the proposed tax? Or is anybody making a concerted effort to raise the issue with their MP for example?