Diabetic Craft Club

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No, but we made £300 on our craft stall at the village fair (outside on a drizzly day), and £144 yesterday in a tiny craft fair in the local church which was poorly advertised and so had a tiny footfall. A total of £444 isn't bad since the ladies in the village who made things gave their time and resources free of charge.

I've begun making wine glass charms and Christmas cards for our stall at the advent fair in the village. That is normally very well attended so hopefully we'll do well. All the proceeds we make are going towards building a village community centre, but it's been a great way for me to get to know people in the village.

Wow that's amazing. I've not been doing well at all - done three events so far - all have had dire turn out and the last two resulted in Zero sales :(

So frustrating!!!!

Reactions: 2 people

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow that's amazing. I've not been doing well at all - done three events so far - all have had dire turn out and the last two resulted in Zero sales :(

So frustrating!!!!
Poor you. Sometimes organisers take you money and then fail to advertise the event properly.

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
A couple of small paintings I did.
GAR - WIN_20141106_105628.JPG GAR - WIN_20141106_105446.JPG

Reactions: 13 people

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh cool to have found a craft thread here... I crochet but I'm still learning as replaced singing hobby with crochet.

Reactions: 5 people

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
Loved looking on your page... now if you were in the UK I would order but getting anything from the US more than 25 dollars we have to pay duty on. :(
So sorry I missed this HazelD I am based in the UK the shop was very quiet so I closed it to do table top Sales.
If there is anything you would like in particular I could make it for you. No obligation to buy.
Regards June

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just found this super thread - it's lovely to see what everyone likes to create - brilliant inspiration on a Saturday morning. There is so much creative stuff I'd LIKE to do in my spare time but end up frustrated. My knitting ain't pretty, and I'd love to draw but can't!

I work with glass, though, so I do tick a few artistic boxes.

ck18

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to make cards, but after doing them for several years I lost interest in that, but still have my stash if the urge returns. I've gone back to cross stitch and love making pictures, but only do it for pleasure. I've been cross stitching since I was small - my mum started me off on a square designed tea cloth at first doing very basic stitching, then binca fabric. I did odd bits for a while, then went back into it just after I got married (27 years ago). I lost my concentration after being diagnosed diabetic 2 years ago, but have done a few small projects since then and I'm determined I'm going to get back into it properly. I work full time and have a disabled husband, so don't get as much time as I'd like to do it. I've been asked to make pictures for friends who would pay me for them, but declined as I like to stitch when I want to and not be under pressure to finish items. Also, when you work out the cost of producing a cross stitch picture, taking into account the cost if products and the time involved, it wouldnt really be financially viable. I love to see other people's work - I did have pictures of mine, but they're tucked away somewhere. Will have to take some more & post them here.

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Since my last posting I have had trouble with my new knee, its doing OK now buts its exactly 1 year to-day I had the op. Getting mojo back has been the problem but not moving around as much has also made me gain a little weight, plus now sitting doing crafts does not help! I made a doll last month, was actually a guniea pig for a USA friend who is doing a workshop in Holland in October, so I did my doll slightly different than the other 9 volunteers. I forgot to download the pattern and as I had one of my own very similar I used that, so only worked off photos. The scissor cases I made last September after being bored with doing nothing except reading...which I love! The dolls are 1/12th scale which is 1 inch to the foot....I am 5ft.3 so the doll is just over 5 inches tall.
Consuelo.jpg.jpg
Consuelo2.jpg.jpg
Scissor cases.jpg

Reactions: 4 people

Diamum5972

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudiced people (my son has learning difficulties) and not being able to find a job
I'm a knitter, I started learning a couple of years ago because my son wanted a Doctor Who scarf. He's autistic and totally obsessed with Doctor Who so how could I refuse! Here is a pic of him (and the cat!) wearing his first scarf, he liked it so much I made him 6 more!

ETA sorry I couldn't attach the photo, I'm on my tablet. I put a link to the Facebook picture instead

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I'm currently working on a few crochet projects... but my biggest one is making a single bed sized blanket for my niece. I've completed 50 squares and currently bordering and blocking them all. The downside is blocking is a bit tricky because I'm doing it on towel on the floor with carpet under. So today I've pinned down about 9 squares but every time I bent over I could barely get back up and my nose completely blocked up. Oh the joys of trying to do our crafts. lol. I hope it is all worth it in the end. I have to sew them all together when I decide the sequence... then border the blanket and it will be ready... yay! I'm hoping to give it to her for her 3rd birthday in May.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Mep As a fellow crocheter I admire your dedication - I havent done a blanket where I have to block... I just to row after row !! I would love to see a picture of what you're working on

Yes, I haven't blocked before myself.. this is my first project where I'm blocking. I've only been crocheting a couple of years and still learning. This blanket I've not used a pattern... just made it up as I go. I've tried to load a pic up for you but it won't let me upload the pic. :( I'm not sure how else you do it on here. Will see if it will let me PM you the pic.

Last edited by a moderator:

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Yes, I haven't blocked before myself.. this is my first project where I'm blocking. I've only been crocheting a couple of years and still learning. This blanket I've not used a pattern... just made it up as I go. I've tried to load a pic up for you but it won't let me upload the pic. :( I'm not sure how else you do it on here. Will see if it will let me PM you the pic.
Mep, I always put the photos I want to upload on my desktop, it is easier to find rather than browsing through stuff.

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Been a little unwell, had cellulitis again, same place on my leg as I had 12 months ago. Antibiotics have cleared it but being stuck with legs elevated was so boring, I decided to make some more scissor cases. A friend sent me a lovely Christmas card in the shape of a boot filled with all sorts of glorious Victorian stuff which I kept because I like it
Scissor2.jpg
Scissor1.jpg
.... so here they are. Because the card gave me the inspiration to do these I will offer my friend the choice .

Reactions: 7 people