Meds Help Please

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat ( yeah...protein in general ..I'm screwed ) but I am eating it now. Mornings, studying, crowds, Phobias a-plenty including vomiting, flying, travel in general actual, crowds, the outside (lol)
Thanks for the replies! So I went to see the doctor today and she agreed to me giving 3 months of diet a try before starting the medication, cannot tell you how happy I am! I am still learning about what is ok and what isn't right now, but immediately I am removing sugar laden things like chocolate, sweets, cakes, cereals ...im a little less certain about all carbs but am reading a lot. I had my results of my A1Cs test today also which is 90. I haven't been told what it should be, is there a number I am aiming for?

Reactions: 6 people

joe-90

I wasted over 5 years going down the diet route. 90 is over double what it should be. You should be on meds right now (in my opinion). If you have insulin resistance that only metformin can rectify - then you should be on it. It changed my life. It could just change yours too.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@TracyC - Hello:). Your HBA1C result is quite high at 90 and it wants to be lower. Here is the categories:
Normal. - Below 42.
Prediabetic. - 42 to 47.
Diabetes. - 48 and over.

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat ( yeah...protein in general ..I'm screwed ) but I am eating it now. Mornings, studying, crowds, Phobias a-plenty including vomiting, flying, travel in general actual, crowds, the outside (lol)
I wasted over 5 years going down the diet route. 90 is over double what it should be. You should be on meds right now (in my opinion). If you have insulin resistance that only metformin can rectify - then you should be on it. It changed my life. It could just change yours too.

I don't have a blood monitor yet, i am getting one but i do have the Distil and just tested and after a day of eating as per the requirements it is showing 20+ ...so, yes tomorrow morning I am going to go get my prescription and start with it, maybe i haven't left it long enough for changes to be made but trying to be logical about it. Fingers crossed no digestive issues, but taking them anyway, have been put on 500mg in the morning for 2 days and then 500 in the morning and 500 at tea time after that. I hope it works the way it has for you!

Reactions: 4 people

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@TracyC

Hello Tracy and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful, especially the diet advice. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Thank you Daisy, there appears to be a whole minefield of information out there but this has simplified it a lot for me! I am following the low carbs diet plan on here now, fingers crossed! x

Reactions: 6 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@TracyC - Metformin takes time to build up in your system and can take a couple of months to reach it's full effect. So, you may begin to see a slight change in the beginning. Metformin lowers the amount of sugar created by the Liver, and it decreases the amount of sugar absorbed by the intestines. :)

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
@TracyC - Hello again. I am sat with the box of Twinings Ginger & Lemon T-Bags in front of me and it says NO ADDED SUGAR, Caffeine Free and the contents are all natural ingredients. I drink it with 1 splenda sweetener in and an additional slice of lemon added. It works for me as I take iron tablets daily for Aneamia and drinking this tea stops the nausea. :)
HI liam1955 I am now sat with a cup of the Twinnings Ginger and Lemon Tea you mentioned also bought some Splenda thank you its good. :)

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@amgrundy - Oh, I am pleased, Thanks for letting me know. Did you know if you want to tag people, put @ followed by their name and it will alert them. Ginger is also good for the relief of travel sickness. The tea is nice chilled and put it in a bottle to take on the go with you.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
@amgrundy - Oh, I am pleased, Thanks for letting me know. Did you know if you want to tag people, put @ followed by their name and it will alert them. Ginger is also good for the relief of travel sickness. The tea is nice chilled and put it in a bottle to take on the go with you.
Hi liam 1955 thanks for the info I am pretty good with the computer but not sure with the tagging someone were do I put the @and name

Reactions: 2 people

satkins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I know I'm a little late with the reply but... I found with metformin it did cause some discomfort in my stomach. My nausea wasnt horrible and I found having something to eat helped. It was the other end that bothered me. But now I've been taking it for a month things have settled down and its not so bad any more.

As with a lot of people on here I loved eating sweets and breads, pasta heck all things carb. Its been really hard to change and I've fallen a couple of times. But I've learned I can indulge a little bit. I don't eat the whole candy bar now. I have a quarter of it and while i want more I can look forward to having another quarter tomorrow.

Reactions: 3 people

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I know I'm a little late with the reply but... I found with metformin it did cause some discomfort in my stomach. My nausea wasnt horrible and I found having something to eat helped. It was the other end that bothered me. But now I've been taking it for a month things have settled down and its not so bad any more.

As with a lot of people on here I loved eating sweets and breads, pasta heck all things carb. Its been really hard to change and I've fallen a couple of times. But I've learned I can indulge a little bit. I don't eat the whole candy bar now. I have a quarter of it and while i want more I can look forward to having another quarter tomorrow.

Thats a great idea, I did mean to buy some high cocoa content dark chocolate whilst I was out today, I thought a square a day would be ok, but will see. I picked up the Metformin today and will start on it tomorrow. Ive made mistakes shopping already by just assuming things are ok such as a supermarkets little snack pot of cranberries and macadamia nuts, got home, read the pack and its high in carbs, Im thinking its the cranberries so I will just eat the nuts. I also picked up some Sula sugar free sweets that seems to be 2 carbs per sweet so as long as just the odd one I think that will be fine. On the plus side I picked up some lovely looking steaks and some Mediterranean veggies to roast! lol x

Reactions: 3 people

satkins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thats a great idea, I did mean to buy some high cocoa content dark chocolate whilst I was out today, I thought a square a day would be ok, but will see. I picked up the Metformin today and will start on it tomorrow. Ive made mistakes shopping already by just assuming things are ok such as a supermarkets little snack pot of cranberries and macadamia nuts, got home, read the pack and its high in carbs, Im thinking its the cranberries so I will just eat the nuts. I also picked up some Sula sugar free sweets that seems to be 2 carbs per sweet so as long as just the odd one I think that will be fine. On the plus side I picked up some lovely looking steaks and some Mediterranean veggies to roast! lol x
One other thing I found out is that cocoa pwoder (the kind you bake with) is really low carb. 1.4 carbs with .6 fiber in 3 grams. I add 6 grams to my 70g strawberries and 70g raspberries with 13g flax (lineseed). Blend it all with water and its a great morning smoothie. I've found that 140g of berries won't raise my BG but if I add a banana to that then they go straight to 10. So you milage may very. I also have used 250ml almond milk instead of water for a creamier taste. I've also used 70g cherries instead of raspberries andnits like drinking chocolate covered cherries. Here in Canada it easy to find all of these berries frozen and cheeper then fresh.

Reactions: 5 people

Cat0409_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yep it will be the dried cranberries they are all dried with extra sugar. Most dried fruit is a no no!
Not are awesome though but just small around.

Dessert of choice atm is whipped cream or greek yoghurt with a few macadamias, a few frozen berries and some dried coconut on the top. Satisfies my sweet tooth easy. I now find berries extremely sweet after 4 week low carbing

Cat0409_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Oops nuts are awesome though... Just not masses of them... A small amount like a small handful to nibble on

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Oops nuts are awesome though... Just not masses of them... A small amount like a small handful to nibble on

Aye, I have been snacking on the nuts, and bought some of the individual cheese portions the cathedral city ones if i want something else. I bought celery, unsweetened peanut butter, hummus and carrot sticks. I think Im going to be missing the crunch of bread/crackers so the carrots and celery may help with that. One thing I have noted though, because they were recommended on here as breakfast foods are the 9 bars and similar foods, its quite expensive, I spent over twice as much today as I would have on my normal shop, Im going to need to look at that lol x

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi liam 1955 thanks for the info I am pretty good with the computer but not sure with the tagging someone were do I put the @and name

Just found this thread from you @amgrundy - Put the @ then type the persons name and leave a space, write what you have got to say. Then when you press post the persons name will turn red = you have tagged them. Try it on me.:):)

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
One other thing I found out is that cocoa pwoder (the kind you bake with) is really low carb. 1.4 carbs with .6 fiber in 3 grams. I add 6 grams to my 70g strawberries and 70g raspberries with 13g flax (lineseed). Blend it all with water and its a great morning smoothie. I've found that 140g of berries won't raise my BG but if I add a banana to that then they go straight to 10. So you milage may very. I also have used 250ml almond milk instead of water for a creamier taste. I've also used 70g cherries instead of raspberries andnits like drinking chocolate covered cherries. Here in Canada it easy to find all of these berries frozen and cheeper then fresh.

Chocolate covered cherries, lol i want that drink. This is certainly going to be something I start looking into, thank you!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fruit? haha...ok Im not as with it as I thought obviously! I had gone out and bought fruit tonight for grazing on ( instead of the usual chocolates / crips ) So is fruit a definite no no then?
No - all fruit is NOT a definite no no but high sugar and tropical fruits (generally) are. Keep to berries (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, etc) initially and eat them in small quantities with cream or yoghurt to minimise their impact on your glucose levels. Using a meter to test your levels before and after eating will show you which fruits (and other foods) are acceptable and which raise your levels too much.

It's also possible to eat high cocoa (75%+) dark chocolate, but again in small quantities. Learn also to read the detailed nutritional information on food packaging, and avoid everything with with high carbohydrate content per 100 grams weight. The labelling will say "carbohydrates... of which sugar" and it's this total quantity that you need to watch. Be sensible though and consider portion size, e.g. for chocolate a piece or two won't weigh much therefore won't contain very many carbohydrates, so will be OK to eat, but a whole bar will contain many more and generally should be avoided. Use this principle when checking other food and portion sizes as well.

The best way to avoid regular snacking/grazing though is to reduce the number of carbohydrates in your meals, and eat food with more fat content instead. It's the carbs that make you hungry, and the fat that will satisfy.

Metformin is more likely to give your diarrhoea than make you vomit - generally if you also eat high carbohydrate food as well, but if you have any issues, ask to be changed to the slow release (SR) version.

Robbity

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
No - all fruit is NOT a definite no no but high sugar and tropical fruits (generally) are. Keep to berries (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, etc) initially and eat them in small quantities with cream or yoghurt to minimise their impact on your glucose levels. Using a meter to test your levels before and after eating will show you which fruits (and other foods) are acceptable and which raise your levels too much.

It's also possible to eat high cocoa (75%+) dark chocolate, but again in small quantities. Learn also to read the detailed nutritional information on food packaging, and avoid everything with with high carbohydrate content per 100 grams weight. The labelling will say "carbohydrates... of which sugar" and it's this total quantity that you need to watch. Be sensible though and consider portion size, e.g. for chocolate a piece or two won't weigh much therefore won't contain very many carbohydrates, so will be OK to eat, but a whole bar will contain many more and generally should be avoided. Use this principle when checking other food and portion sizes as well.

The best way to avoid regular snacking/grazing though is to reduce the number of carbohydrates in your meals, and eat food with more fat content instead. It's the carbs that make you hungry, and the fat that will satisfy.

Metformin is more likely to give your diarrhoea than make you vomit - generally if you also eat high carbohydrate food as well, but if you have any issues, ask to be changed to the slow release (SR) version.

Robbity

Thank you! Learning so much here its fantastic, you are all so helpful, I'm very grateful x

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Aye, I have been snacking on the nuts, and bought some of the individual cheese portions the cathedral city ones if i want something else. I bought celery, unsweetened peanut butter, hummus and carrot sticks. I think Im going to be missing the crunch of bread/crackers so the carrots and celery may help with that. One thing I have noted though, because they were recommended on here as breakfast foods are the 9 bars and similar foods, its quite expensive, I spent over twice as much today as I would have on my normal shop, Im going to need to look at that lol x
You seem to be making good start with choice of your snacks.:)
I found snacking is something that is not particularly good for me....it is causing blood sugar rise because I have something going on in my systems all the time. Instead I've ditched all nibblies and keep mainly to just meals, as and when I'm hungry..and I have something 'nice' after meal if I still feel need for it. That way my food intake has reduced hugely, I eat better quality food, my food bills have dropped, I have more room in kitchen cupboards, I've lost some weight even without really trying and my blood sugars have responded nicely too:D....and not only that I've been able to get my hubby to eat healthier way too...he is total snack junkie but is now finding he don't have need for them...some roast chicken and veg with butter is much more tempting choice;)