Diabetics in Police Custody

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWD279

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was unfortunately arrested by police and spent over 27 hours in custody. during this time I only saw a doctor once, had no food, only water, after 16 in the station cells I was transported by G4S to the court, at this handover I was then the responsibility of G4S however no medical details were handed over, my medication was not available because there was no doctor available. I have brought this matter up with police scotlnd but have yet to receive a satisfactory answer. I f I do not gert satisfaction I will be contacting the justice secretaty. By the time I wass released I very nearly tasking a hypo, fortunately friends were waiting for me with foof and drink.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. That's ridiculous. I'm sure they are duty bound to feed you over that time period. I hope you geta good response.

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been in the cells a few times and they are ridiculous. Even the GPs who come in are clueless.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It's a cell, not the Hilton.
They still have a duty of care. People with illnesses shouldn't have to suffer potential damage or death.

joe-90

Well I would recommend that if they don't like the service that they don't go back and stay there. Sorry, but I have zero sympathy.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I was unfortunately arrested by police and spent over 27 hours in custody. during this time I only saw a doctor once, had no food, only water, after 16 in the station cells I was transported by G4S to the court, at this handover I was then the responsibility of G4S however no medical details were handed over, my medication was not available because there was no doctor available. I have brought this matter up with police scotlnd but have yet to receive a satisfactory answer. I f I do not gert satisfaction I will be contacting the justice secretaty. By the time I wass released I very nearly tasking a hypo, fortunately friends were waiting for me with foof and drink.

You should of been monitored, it could mean a life or death situation. Can you get a copy of the custody report ?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well I would recommend that if they don't like the service that they don't go back and stay there. Sorry, but I have zero sympathy.

We don't know why the member was arrested and care for a chronic medical condition, should be monitored.

Reactions: 5 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People are still supposed to be presumed innocent until proven guilty.
But even people who are convicted are entitled to humane treatment.

Reactions: 9 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.

Nobody expects the Hilton, but as pointed out, there is a duty of care - whether people like it or not. There are also sometimes circumstances where people arrested have other needs, those with learning difficulties or psychiatric conditions. I guess they're not entitled to duty of care either.

Reactions: 6 people

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How rude.

Providing food and access to treatment for ongoing medical conditions are obligations the state accepts when they deprive you of the means to provide them for yourself.

Even if you think people who commit crimes deserve what they get, keep in mind that not everyone who is arrested has done anything wrong.

Reactions: 4 people

GordonMcLean

I've also had a few nights in the cells and the only time I was able to keep my sugars right was the one time since I've had my insulin pump, oh and I got a not guilty in court by the way.

I hope you get arrested wrongfully one day and you're kept in from the Friday until the Tuesday ( like the Easter weekend ) as the courts are closed on the Monday.
I wonder if you'd change your tune then Joe-90?

Edited by a Moderator to remove personal comments.

Last edited by a moderator:

joe-90

I don't get arrested as I don't go out committing criminal acts. If I did then that's my look-out. I'll save my sympathy for the victims, not the criminals if that's ok with you. I find it far worse than 'rude' to commit criminal acts. Maybe you don't?

GordonMcLean

Well as I said, I was found to be not guilty in my circumstance which means I was wrongly arrested......
Sometimes these things happen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The thread is about monitoring a chronic medical condition, not what the person did or didn't do !!

Personal attacks aren't helpful or doing the thread any favours at all !! :wideyed:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Ah yes. "Crime and punishment". But this only works on principle for a "reform" if the indevidual survives the process...?

There is a basic standard of care.

Incidentally. I've had a couple of brushes with the law. (Youthful exuberance.) Banged up for a bout 5 hours, questioned & let out with a slapped wrist.
But in my case. Someone did check on me regularly & my partner was informed of the procedure to belay her concerns... There can be "sensible policing" but I apreciate its not always common..

Reactions: 2 people

joe-90

He saw a doctor. He never said he was innocent. I have a right to my opinion as you do to yours. That's called democracy.

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't get arrested as I don't go out committing criminal acts. If I did then that's my look-out. I'll save my sympathy for the victims, not the criminals if that's ok with you. I find it far worse than 'rude' to commit criminal acts. Maybe you don't?
Well, perhaps you've been lucky, then. Not all people who are arrested have committed criminal acts - so avoiding going out committing criminal acts is not protection against being arrested.

joe-90

I'm 62 years old and not once in my life have I ever met anyone that was wrongly arrested. He saw a doctor. He was monitored. What more do you want?

Status
Not open for further replies.