Diabetics in Police Custody

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
He saw a doctor. He never said he was innocent. I have a right to my opinion as you do to yours. That's called democracy.
And he was also denied necessary medical care because a doctor was not available. This board is not a democracy - it is a support forum, not a debate forum. I would hope that if you cannot bring yourself to be supportive, you would at least keep your, "you deserved it," thoughts to yourself.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Seeing a doctor and then hours later not being monitored is negligent, also said no liquid or food was a given. BG , as we know, can go up dramatically and at the other scale, also plummet dramatically too.

GordonMcLean

You must live and breathe indoors then as it does happen, you may never have met anyone found not guilty but surely to god you've read in the paper or seen the news of people who've been found not guilty of whatever, meaning they'd been wrongly arrested in the 1st place.
That's just my opinion right enough and you did say we're allowed one

Reactions: 8 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I shall refrain from commenting any further than this on this thread as I am likely to say something that will get me band except to say that joe-90 you have described a fellow member here of being a criminal and undeserving of sympathy when apart from the bare facts that have been posted here you know nothing of that person.

joe-90

And you've seen the official logs that say he wasn't offered food? Why would a custody officer put their job on the line over something so stupid? Sorry, but I don't believe a word of it. That's my prerogative. I'll make up my own mind on the matter.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm 62 years old and not once in my life have I ever met anyone that was wrongly arrested. He saw a doctor. He was monitored. What more do you want?

Unfortunately people do, whether you have never met anyone, but I have. A type 1 was arrested because someone had said something to the police ( a family member) and this person was arrested in their home. Charges were eventually dropped by the accuser and nothing happened. The arrested person was asked questions regarding health, taking drugs etc and asked it they needed any help with their diabetes management, no hypo's but elevated BG. From what I knew, it left a huge mark on them. So arrested yes, not guilty, yes.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I shall refrain from commenting any further than this on this thread as I am likely to say something that will get me band except to say that joe-90 you have described a fellow member here of being a criminal and undeserving of sympathy when apart from the bare facts that have been posted here you know nothing of that person.

I am sitting here with gritted teeth and a furrowed brow :mad:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
And you've seen the official logs that say he wasn't offered food? Why would a custody officer put their job on the line over something so stupid? Sorry, but I don't believe a word of it. That's my prerogative. I'll make up my own mind on the matter.

Of course we don't know the whole truth. Regarding the police, over the years some of them are the biggest criminals going.

joe-90

I think you'll find the chap suggested that he had committed a criminal act. Not once did he say otherwise. I honestly don't believe any of it.

GordonMcLean

You are so out of date Joe-90.
How can you possibly say you'll never go out and put yourself in a position to be arrested???

Going out for a drive alone can put you at risk, let me explain.

Someone bumps your car, you get out in order to exchange insurance details, the other driver and their passenger make up a lie, call the police and the 2 of them say you raised your hand to them.....

Automatically arrested if there's no cctv cameras about, so get off your high horse and get real.
You don't know the person arrested circumstances but a little sympathy should be given from what that person told us in good faith.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find it far worse than 'rude' to commit criminal acts. Maybe you don't?

What about Raffles the "gentleman theif"?

As for being "wrongfully detained" for hours & released without charge there were a fair few black guys fell fowl of that one back in the 1980s... ;)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
You are so out of date Joe-90.
How can you possibly say you'll never go out and put yourself in a position to be arrested???

Going out for a drive alone can put you at risk, let me explain.

Someone bumps your car, you get out in order to exchange insurance details, the other driver and their passenger make up a lie, call the police and the 2 of them say you raised your hand to them.....

Automatically arrested if there's no cctv cameras about, so get off your high horse and get real.
You don't know the person arrested circumstances but a little sympathy should be given from what that person told us in good faith.

I have noticed over time, that a few members just love to belittle and attack with rude and insensitive comments, It's a shame that people behave in this way.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I would strongly prefer that this thread did not have to receive moderator intervention but it seems that the general tone is becoming argumentative and childish. The conversation has gone off at a tangent and has little to do with the original post.

Please, please, play nicely together and don't give me any of that he started it nonsense.

joe-90

If he could prove that he went 27 hours without food then an officer would be sacked. He could claim several thousand pounds in compensation, if the records were falsified, then a police officer would go to prison. I didn't happen.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
How many diabetics have died in custody? I've never heard of any.

Google, 'How many diabetics have died in police custody' ? I just did

GordonMcLean

Joe-90 I'm type 1 been arrested and ultimately found not guilty at court.
You didn't know me, but it happened to me.

Just because you don't know anyone or have heard of any diabetic dying in custody doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

mahola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nice to see my fellow Sugar Dumplings being so supportive.

I hope you're ok, JWD and have recovered from your ordeal :)

Reactions: 5 people
Status
Not open for further replies.