Diabetics in Police Custody

Status
Not open for further replies.

Specsquee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If he could prove that he went 27 hours without food then an officer would be sacked. He could claim several thousand pounds in compensation, if the records were falsified, then a police officer would go to prison. I didn't happen.
Yeah in a perfect world, but that's not what we live in.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I would strongly prefer that this thread did not have to receive moderator intervention but it seems that the general tone is becoming argumentative and childish. The conversation has gone off at a tangent and has little to do with the original post.

Please, please, play nicely together and don't give me any of that he started it nonsense.

Agree, but unfortunately it can take just one person( who ever that may be) to ' put the cat amongst the pigeons or 'open up a can of worms' and testosterone often leads the way.................:rolleyes:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dropping out of the thread. I've said all I wish to say.

Joe,

I sincerely wish you all the best. & hope you have a sunny Easter where you are.. :cool:

Peace out!

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
How many diabetics have died in custody? I've never heard of any.

It does happen

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...dies-custody-police-mistake-drink-driver.html

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/lo...f-refusing-him-medication-in-custody-1.900377

I also know a man who was arrested and held as he had the same name as a criminal put onto a watch list, my acquaintance was completely innocent but still held in custody for 2 days - it did make national and international news at the time.

Reactions: 2 people

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I would recommend that if they don't like the service that they don't go back and stay there. Sorry, but I have zero sympathy.

As has been reiterated several time a the police and the prison service etc have a duty of care to those within their custody. It makes no difference as to the guilt or innocence of the person. To put a person at risk of health complications is failing in this duty of care.

joe-90

I'll try one last time. In 27 hours there would be several changes of shifts. Several hand-overs to different officers. Do you honestly believe they would all starve a diabetic prisoner? Do you really believe that? All putting their jobs and pensions on the line? for what end? Sorry folks but the original poster is looking for sympathy over something that didn't happen. It's a common phenomena.

mahola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Punish people for the crimes they commit. But don't punish them for having diabetes.

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are so out of date Joe-90.
How can you possibly say you'll never go out and put yourself in a position to be arrested???

Going out for a drive alone can put you at risk, let me explain.

Someone bumps your car, you get out in order to exchange insurance details, the other driver and their passenger make up a lie, call the police and the 2 of them say you raised your hand to them.....

Automatically arrested if there's no cctv cameras about, so get off your high horse and get real.
You don't know the person arrested circumstances but a little sympathy should be given from what that person told us in good faith.

Unfortunately I have first hand experience of how just being behind the wheel of the car can end up with you going through the court system.

In 2006 I was involved in a car accident (rather serious) and because I was the driver and it was my car that lost control (I would rather not give too many details here) I was charged with dangerous driving. I was found not guilty of that charge but still convicted of a lesser charge, which to this day I do not understand.

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was unfortunately arrested by police and spent over 27 hours in custody. during this time I only saw a doctor once, had no food, only water, after 16 in the station cells I was transported by G4S to the court, at this handover I was then the responsibility of G4S however no medical details were handed over, my medication was not available because there was no doctor available. I have brought this matter up with police scotlnd but have yet to receive a satisfactory answer. I f I do not gert satisfaction I will be contacting the justice secretaty. By the time I wass released I very nearly tasking a hypo, fortunately friends were waiting for me with foof and drink.

Hope you're ok now. If I was you I would seek advice on an breach of duty of care case. So sorry to see all the unkind comments that have come your way.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...file/117555/safer-detention-guidance-2012.pdf

ACPO guidance on safe detention of diabetics - so there are guidelines on what the police should be doing, unfortunately due to lack of training, or resources, guidelines might not always be followed 100%.

Hopefully the guidelines might help the OP in formulating any complaint or query about how he was treated.

image.png
image.png
image.png

joe-90

Over 27 hours there would be FOUR custody sergeants involved with all their ancillary crew. Do you really all believe that the whole crew on FOUR shifts colluded to starve a diabetic for no reason? Four jobs on the line, four pensions on the line, and all those falsified records that would see all FOUR officers in prison for lengthy stints. Do you really think that is the case here? Can I have your answers please?

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
And you've seen the official logs that say he wasn't offered food? Why would a custody officer put their job on the line over something so stupid? Sorry, but I don't believe a word of it. That's my prerogative. I'll make up my own mind on the matter.

Ah of course, if he's a criminal, he must also be a liar..

If I had been arrested and had been fed the last thing I would think to do was make up that I hadn't been fed and come post on here about it..

OP I hope you are now feeling ok and your bg's are under control :)

joe-90

Why would you post it on here? His solicitor would tell him to keep quiet while a formal complaint was made.

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Over 27 hours there would be FOUR custody sergeants involved with all their ancillary crew. Do you really all believe that the whole crew on FOUR shifts colluded to starve a diabetic for no reason? Four jobs on the line, four pensions on the line, and all those falsified records that would see all FOUR officers in prison for lengthy stints. Do you really think that is the case here? Can I have your answers please?

There may not be collusion, however simply a lack of handover from the initial shift would ensure the knock on effect!

joe-90

That would make them criminally culpable and all the officers would be suspended pending criminal investigation.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I personally have a lot of respect and admiration for the police. But they are just people and fallible and might suffer from the same lack of understanding about the seriousness of diabetes that the vast majority of the public do - I wouldn't imagine diabetes wouldn't be more than 5 minutes of training in the large amount of complex issues a custody sergeant has to cover & therefore mistakes could be made.

unfortunately when mistakes are made it can lead to a much wider "cover up" - http://www.cps.gov.uk/news/latest_n...ed_with_perjury_following_death_of_sean_rigg/ - in what I hope is a very rare, but very sad case where officers have been charged with perjury in 2015, following death in custody in 2008.

If there were to be an investigation hopefully all the facts and issues would come out in the wash. A forum clearly isn't the place to have an investigation, but I see no harm in offering sympathy to the OP and taking what he says happened at face value. Realistically, I think if a complaint were made I would hope that it simply resulted in the "what to do with a diabetic in custody" bit of the guidance being given a bit more prominence in training and being flagged up to any officers involved so they are a bit more aware next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.