Fourth day diabetic

Rosiek

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It has hit me today. Feel like my whole world has crashed. I have such a sweet tooth. I know in my head it has got to get better but I am just feeling sorry for myself. I have tried a cup of tea with Truvia and it is vile. How can I live without my cup of tea with 3 sugars. I am sick of drinking water. I find it hard at night, after dinner. I get cravings but don't know what I can eat before bed. I don't know how to read what is in things yet. 1 slice of wholemeal toast for breakfast, small egg salad for lunch, (can I have as much sweetcorn as I like?) and now chicken with a bit of salad. (Can I have low fat salad cream?) Any help would be appreciated

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello and welcome Rosiek. I will tag @daisy1 who will give you some information to help.

Have a look around the forum and the nutrition and diet sections as you will find answers to what others eat there. Many here would not eat low fat salad cream but would eat real mayonnaise for example

Rosiek

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Maybe I should mention that my BS level was 20.4 on Tuesday and my ketones??? were high.I was sent straight to the hospital who sent me home at 1am when it came down. I am on 1 Metformin twice a day and 40g Gliclazide with my main meal. Because I was sent to the hospital, I did not get to speak with anyone so I have been left a bit high and dry. It was like "go home and get on with it". I have spoken to the doctor on the phone in a panic and she is referring me to a group and other things but I just feel so helpless at the moment

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Did the hospital do any tests to determine if you are T1? Have they given you a meter to test with and do you have ketone sticks?

What I would do in your position at the moment is not eat carbs. Stick to fat and protein as much as possible until you get back to see your doctor/nurse. Oh if you havent got an appointment then book another one.

If over the holiday period you begin to feel worse do go back to A&E because high BG and ketones can be dangerous.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
It has hit me today. Feel like my whole world has crashed. I have such a sweet tooth. I know in my head it has got to get better but I am just feeling sorry for myself. I have tried a cup of tea with Truvia and it is vile. How can I live without my cup of tea with 3 sugars. I am sick of drinking water. I find it hard at night, after dinner. I get cravings but don't know what I can eat before bed. I don't know how to read what is in things yet. 1 slice of wholemeal toast for breakfast, small egg salad for lunch, (can I have as much sweetcorn as I like?) and now chicken with a bit of salad. (Can I have low fat salad cream?) Any help would be appreciated

Hi @Rosiek ,
I'd agree with comment about Truvia I don't like it much either but it's not the only sweetener on the market. Try a few others and you will get used to it if you really cannot go without a sweet tasting drink.

As for reading the contents labels on foods, you only really need to be concerned with carbohydrates. (Sugar is a carbohydrate.)
I've looked at your previous posts and I see that you already got the info from daisy1, did you get a chance to look at this, it has some good info in it.

It's not unusual to be feeling low at this point. When the reality hits home it can be hard to deal with but on a positive note, many T'2s can reverse the condition with the right diet.

Don't get stressed about everything, take your time and ask as many questions on the forums as you like.

Rosiek

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Did the hospital do any tests to determine if you are T1? Have they given you a meter to test with and do you have ketone sticks?

What I would do in your position at the moment is not eat carbs. Stick to fat and protein as much as possible until you get back to see your doctor/nurse. Oh if you havent got an appointment then book another one.

If over the holiday period you begin to feel worse do go back to A&E because high BG and ketones can be dangerous.
Andrew, the doctor said something about type 1 or type 2 but I did not take it in. I asked the hospital and they said it was not up to them to say whether it is 1 or 2. My GP said it looks like I am down the middle at the moment. They gave me a meter but I have been putting it off. I will try tomorrow as I know this will help me a lot. No there were no ketone sticks in it.

Rosiek

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Rosiek ,
I'd agree with comment about Truvia I don't like it much either but it's not the only sweetener on the market. Try a few others and you will get used to it if you really cannot go without a sweet tasting drink.

As for reading the contents labels on foods, you only really need to be concerned with carbohydrates. (Sugar is a carbohydrate.)
I've looked at your previous posts and I see that you already got the info from daisy1, did you get a chance to look at this, it has some good info in it.

It's not unusual to be feeling low at this point. When the reality hits home it can be hard to deal with but on a positive note, many T'2s can reverse the condition with the right diet.

Don't get stressed about everything, take your time and ask as many questions on the forums as you like.
Thank you. Yes I did get Daisys advice and I am trying to take it all on board.

abie6

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
1. No "low carb" or "zero sugar" aisles in supermarkets. 2. Sugary "low fat" foods.
Hi @Rosiek -

I was extraordinarily rendered to the land of T2B 4 weeks ago, and it was quite a shock. I've obsessed about it for the last 4 weeks, seeking as much info as possible online. I posted on here for the first time today, and it was great to receive messages of support. You are doing the right thing in posting.

I'm not as experienced as others, nor am I a doctor, but it seems to me that the key is avoiding carbs and sugar as much as you can. Remember that carbs are sugar, and sugar is a carb. Link the two. Think of yourself as sugar/carb intolerant. Looking at pre-packed food causes heart ache. Look at the labels- lots of carbs and sugar. Don't be fooled by "low fat" products. Jam packed full of sugar. Those small "good for you" pro-bionic (or something) yoghurts- you know the ones- 2 teaspoons of sugar in each small bottle! Sugar is poison. If something has added sugar I don't eat it.

My food tastes are going to have to change. I love pastries, pizzas, and bread. Rice and pasta. Carry out meals. I'm gradually reconciling myself to the fact that if I eat a lot of carbs/sugar I endanger my sight, kidneys, blood vessels, nerves, heart, and am more at risk of a stroke.

So now I follow a low carb/ no added sugar diet. Meat, eggs, salad, walnuts, full fat mayonnaise, cheese, blueberries, raspberries and lots of dark greens, like kale, broccoli, spinach. I can't believe I am eating like this now- I find it hard to eat dark greens raw or cooked, so I whizz up the dark greens and berries in a blender with water and make a smoothie. Not bad, the colder (eg with ice) the better. Best thing I did buying a blender. Nothing fancy, a "value" blender out of Argos. T2D is more a condition of the liver, so you need to look after it. Dark green veg is extremely good for your liver. Drink lots. But not lots of alcohol, which stings the liver. Water. I've found it easier to give up booze completely although you maybe don't have to. I know you don't like water- we're the same. But I force myself to have 2 litres a day. I've bought some apple cider vinegar and have that twice a day- a teaspoon with a big glass of water.

And get good sleep.

The above is all a distillation of the info I've gathered -my obsession- over the last 4 weeks. It is a real shock to the system, and no one will pretend it's easy.

Next thing - I'm going to buy a blood glucose meter to test myself and see what foods my body really can't cope with.

Good luck and let us all know how you get on.

Reactions: 4 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi Rosiek, We have all felt at sometime the same as you, so you are never alone on here. I was diagnosed in Jan this year with a reading of 19.3 doctor wanted to send me to hospital I persuaded him not too as it was New Years Eve. I was told I was Type 2 and was given metformin 500mg 1 daily for first week then increased to 2 second week. Now with the LCHF diet and help and support of people on this site I am getting there. I have even stood in the supermarket at the beginning and cried, not knowing what to buy and not undersanding food labels. It will get easier you will see, we are only human and our emotions tend to get to us sometimes, nothing wrong with that. Again I tell everyone this go on the forum "What Have You Eaten Today" brilliant forum see what we all eat try and then test 2 hrs after you have eaten, we are all a bit different with certain foods what one can tolerate others can not so just try and test. Good luck, ask anything somebody will always answer you.:):)

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Andrew, the doctor said something about type 1 or type 2 but I did not take it in. I asked the hospital and they said it was not up to them to say whether it is 1 or 2. My GP said it looks like I am down the middle at the moment. They gave me a meter but I have been putting it off. I will try tomorrow as I know this will help me a lot. No there were no ketone sticks in it.

Did the hospital give you any other advice about what to watch out for?
You can't be down the middle. The GP needs to run the tests but probably decided it was more important to get your numbers to a reasonable level first at hospital due to high ketones.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome.

There are a lot of foods that you can eat that won't send your blood glucose up to dangerous levels, and I am sure that you will enjoy a lot of them and find some of them very surprising. :)

Click on the link below, and spend just a few minutes looking at the quick explanation.
http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds