Painless Insulin Injections from a Patch for People with Type I Diabetes may be on the Horizon

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Excuse me a moment while I rant on this topic. If you'll bear with me, I personally don't care particularly about the little ones. I've been sticking needles in myself for 27 years, some of us have for more than 50 years. Respite from that would be magnificent, so while you might feel it would be great for "the little ones" those of us who have unreliable insulin absorption as a result of years of needles are probably much more in need of it.

CRPetersen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Excuse me a moment while I rant on this topic. If you'll bear with me, I personally don't care particularly about the little ones. I've been sticking needles in myself for 27 years, some of us have for more than 50 years. Respite from that would be magnificent, so while you might feel it would be great for "the little ones" those of us who have unreliable insulin absorption as a result of years of needles are probably much more in need of it.
It's good for anyone who has to go through that.

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I agree to that young people get offered a pump without even asking. 50yrs type1

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
I know I was only diagnosed LADA at 50, so only been stabbing myself for 6 years, but a patch would be great. I already have a morphine patch I wear everyday, so know how easy they are at medicating.slap it on, and forget.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
It's not one "group" of T1s anymore than it is the other. If you "trap" T1 children with this advance, by default, you'd have to assume you'd "catch" the rest with such an advance.

Understand the frustrations (well maybe I don't, as I'm T2 and not on insulin) of injecting, but imagine if I said "I personally don't care about T1s because the percentage of worldwide numbers afflicted by diabetes who happen to be T1s is massively diminished in comparison with T2s, so develop something for us .... the rest of you can battle on"

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Good news for ALL us type one's, let's hope it's successful and the company that supplies it doesn't charge the nhs the sun moon and stars for it.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Actually! For anyone insulin dependant.. Something a little less sketchy on the "reporting" is here..? http://www.diabetes.co.uk/insulin/insulin-patch.html

By the way... Don't knock BS monitoring out of the equation just yet...? The "plan" is focused to "replace" injections.. We would still need to know what's happening on the day to day.. ;)