a Far East trip.

pedro606

Hi,

I will be out in the Philippines next year Feb/March for 5 weeks. I obvioulsy want to continue my low carbing which has been successful for me so far in terms of blood sugar count and weight loss.

It's going to be difficult as rice and noodles are eaten in abundance. I just hope I can get cauliflowers!!

Anyway, what I am interested to get constructive views on is 'fruit', obviously tropical fruit.

Mangoes and papaya will be in abundance but not too sure of their sugar content etc. Bananas tend to make my blood sugar spike unfortunately.

If someone has been out to the Far East and continued to low carb etc I would be grateful for any advice.

Fish will be in abundance which pleases me a lot!! I will take all my curry herbs etc to cook them in so may different ways.
regards,

Pete

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Pete.

The flesh of a Papaya is about 6g carbs per 100g, so it all depends on what size portion you plan to eat ? Whatever you do do NOT eat any dried....anything from 56 to 85g carbs per 100g.... :shock:

Same with Mangoes....fresh around 13-14g carb per 100g. Dried are 83g carbs per 100g. :shock:

In moderation, great. Indulge yourself.....you might regret it. :(

Calorie, Carb and Fat Bible 2009

pedro606

Very interesting. Papaya 6gms per 100gms seems OK for me. That is normally the standard I use when buying stuff etc over here. I guess I would eat about 300gms a day.

Any ideas on any other tropical fruit please.

Thanks,

Pete

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I remember my consultant telling me that roughly the nearer the tropics the fruit was grown, the bigger effect it had on blood glucose. Most of the tropical fruit bought in the UK is unripe when picked so maybe a bit gentler than those that have been ripened on the tree.
tropical fruit is often high both in carbs and GI
Here are some carb counts along with gi if I could find it. I don't know whats grown in the Phillipines so some might not be applicable.
Mango carb 15/100 Gi 60
Papaya carb 15/100 Gi 60
Breadfruit carb 20g/100g gi of 70
custard apple carb 15/100 gi
Barbadine/granadilla carb 10g/100 GI ?
Star fruit 6g/100 GI ?
Kaki (sharon) 15g/100 gi ? (had some very ripe the other day with cream and no different to say pineapple)
Litchee 15g/100 gi? found for me to be quite low
Medlar 9g/100
Passion fruit 8g /100
dragon fruit 12g/100
Guava 10g/100

pedro606

Phoenix,

Many thanks for that very comprehensive list which is going to be very helpful indeed.

I am suprised by the carb content so I will have to be a tad careful. I'll do regular blood sugar tests to find out which is best for me. I do love fresh papaya sprinkled with lime juice-- wonderful!! We actually grow them in our garden out there along with many many coconuts.

That's somethimng I forgot to mention. Any idea where coconuts fit into all the carbs etc. In the past when I wasn't a diabetic in the Philippines we picked the coconuts young. The flesh is so so tender and very nice shredded up and put into the coconut milk(fresh). All this done withing a couple fo minutes of picking it!! I hope I will be OK with that. Any ideas?

Most of the fruits you mentioned is available in the Philippines.

kindest regards,

Pete

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
Since trying to follow Bernstein's suggested range of 4.9-5.1 I have found that I have had to eliminate nearly all fruit. However I constantly challenge this but he is mostly correct, sadly! While in the tropics recently travelling around Australia I succumbed to buying a green mango......not too green but not ripe either. It was deliciously tart and citrusy in flavour and it did not impact my bgls. I only ate half per sitting and an hour later recorded 4.7 and the next day 4.9.

What a treat!! I also saw a Vietnamese/Australian cook make a Green Papaya Salad on SBS TV and this also is a delicious treat with little impact on bgls and my version contains whatever I can remember mung bean shoots, spring onions, green capsicum, celery, almost green papaya, vietnamese mint, corriander and a dressing made with lime juice, fish sauce, sugar (I used a substitute of course), chilli, sesame oil, cider apple vinegar. He cooked belly pork to put over the salad. The first day I made it I had fresh scallops which I pan fried with ginger. Mmmm Mmmmm!!

Yam Bean or Jicama or Yumbin is a vegetable really but I eat it peeled, raw, cut into chunks and drenched in lime juice and pretend that I am eating an apple. It is often used by the Asians as a cheaper sustitute for water chestnuts. It is low carb and very versatile, can be grated and used in stir fries, makes great "hash browns" or chips!.

I just use a rule of thumb that any vegetable that grows below the ground is probably not on my list.

pedro606

clearviews,

Many thanks for that. 'Green mango' is eaten as a sort of snack in the Philippines and is eaten mostly with a sort of 'salted fish' dip. Green Papaya is also eaten a lot and mostly as a papaya pickle which is delicious. We have lots and lots of papaya in our garden out in the Philippines.

I do agree with you about fruit though-- but I cannot resist just a little now and again!

Pete

pedro606

Re: a Far East trip. Avocados

Does anyone know what Avocados are like - carbohydrate-wise?

I am still trying to sort of this fruit thing before we go. What about coconuts?

Thanks,

Pete

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Avacado - Flesh only. 1.9g carbs per 100g.
Coconuts - Fresh. Flesh Average. 3.7g carbs per 100g

pedro606

cugila,

Thanks for that. plenty of avocados in the Philippines- mus remember to take some balsamic vinegar now.

Have you any idea about the 'coconut milk'? One of my favourite drinks in the morning is to break open a fresh young coconut and collect the milk in a jug. I then add some of the flesh from the coconut and then drink it. It is wonderfully refreshing and also cool(temperature-wise).

If the milk is low in carbs and not too much sugar I could be on a winner when we go.

We have so many coconuts in our garden out there as well. I'll get one of the locals to skimmy up the tree for me to get some down. I'll let him keep a few for himself as well.

Thanks for your help!!

Pete

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Only got results for the commercial products, Blue Dragon, Amoy, Tiger Tiger etc. Not sure at the moment how that relates to actual fresh Coconut Milk....? No data available I'm afraid.

Having said that they range from 2.4g to 4g carbs per 100 mil so would seem to be pretty low carb to me. Ordinary Semi Skimmed Milk is around 5g carbs per 100 mil.

I wouldn't have thought that there would be too much difference ?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Having done a bit more digging are we talking about the clear liquid from the Nut ? This is Coconut water, not milk. The milk is made from the flesh and the water pulped together and then strained to give a milk like substance. Dug up some information about this.

An extract or two:
If you've ever opened a fresh coconut, you will have seen the thin, opaque almost clear coconut juice or water which has a slight almond flavor. Contrary to popular belief, this is not the coconut milk. However, the water is consumed as a drink fresh from the coconut by many, and it can also be used in recipes.
AND
Coconut Water is More Nutritious than whole milk - Less fat and NO cholesterol!
Coconut Water is More Healthy than Orange Juice - Much lower calories
Coconut Water is Better than processed baby milk- It contains lauric acid, which is present in human mother's milk
Coconut water is naturally sterile -- Water permeates though the filtering husk!
Coconut water is a universal donor-- Its identical to human blood plasma
Coconut Water is a Natural Isotonic Beverage - The same level we have in our blood.
Coconut water has saved lives in 3rd world countries thru Coconut IV.

Here is the link to the whole article.
http://www.living-foods.com/articles/coconutwater.html

Sounds good to me , whether it's called Milk or Water.....go for it ! :D

pedro606

cugila,

Thanks. I agree with you on that. Anyway, I've got to 'live' whilst I am there!! It's going to be difficult enough not having rice as they have that at almost every single meal, including breakkers!!

I just hope I can get some cauliflowers in the market.

I am so glad I love fish-- as there is PLENTY of that available. Even sometimes the fishermen come up to our place to sell some. Best times is a 'new moon' for fish.

regards,

Pete

pedro606

That's fantastic news!!!! Yes - it is the water that I was referring to. I honestly never knew that it was such a good drink!!! I am so so glad I love the stuff.

It is so much more 'quaffable' when the 'water' is from a young coconut- can be a tad bitter when it is old.

When I have made curries out there before and wanted coconut milk, I remember now a guy in the market ground up the old coconut flesh and told me to soak it in water for a while and then squeeze it all and that will be 'coconut milk'.

I am so please you shared that info! Many thanks indeed!

Pete

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Pete.

You are very welcome......now when can I come and stop....... :D :lol:

pedro606

I only wish I could say 'whenever you like'!! I don't know whether or not you know the Philippines well or not. We have a nice little place by the sea in what is a non touristy area on Mindanao. It is nice there but not without its problems.

Earthquakes are fairly common and recently an area of Mindanao has come under Martial Law. Long story that.

We always aim to keep well out of politics and treat people with respect and get along with them. Challenging at times though! More of an experience than a holiday, I would say. My wife is a Filipina and that helps!!!

Pete :D

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
I had a young coconut a few days ago as I too love anything coconutty. I tested then drank the water (juice) and tested again in an hour. Sadly my readings were in the 6s and not what I like to be. Suggest you do the same..... test. Too much temptation here in Australia!