Hi a anxious newbie

swsok1

Hi folks

I am a 55 years old male recently diagnosed with Type 2. A series of 3 fasting tests over past 3 months have shown levels at 7.1 - 7.3. My GP has stated that diet and exercise are my immediate priorities - no need for medication. I've had one depressing session with the practice nurse and been told that a session with a dietician will take up to 18 weeks. Eye sight test next week.

Very anxious about next steps - always though that I had a healthy diet and now trying to get thought around greater controls.

I travel a lot with work and wondering about complications with diet and exercise.

Can I still drink - wine/beer/spirits ? Not an alcoholic :wink: :wink: but do like a social drink.

Do I need to do blood tests ? The GP hasn't recommended this, but will do quarterly tests.

Lots of questions ...........

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi swsok1

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis.

As you probably know by now, having diabetes means that our bodies are no longer able to manage our blood glucose levels on their own.

Most of the food we eat, is converted by our metabolic system into glucose, a type of sugar which is our main body fuel. Glucose is transferred in our bloodstream to our various body cells where it is absorbed through the action of a hormone released by our pancreas called insulin. In type 2 diabetics such as you and I, our cells become insulin resistant and are no longer very efficient at taking in glucose. As a result unabsorbed glucose remains in our bloodstream resulting in increased blood sugar levels.

In some T2's, as well as all T1 diabetics, the pancreas may lose its ability to produce insulin, in which case the diabetic becomes insulin dependent and has to inject insulin in order to keep his glucose levels under control.

Diabetics manage their blood glucose levels in order to stay within target levels and avoid short term problems such as hyperglycaemia (too high blood sugars) and hypoglycaemia (too low blood sugars), both of which could be life threatening if present in extreem levels. Another aim of good glyceamic control is to significantly reduce the risk of long term diabetic complications such as cardiovascular problems (the number one cause of death amonghst diabetics), kidney failure, gangrene, neurological problems and blindness.

There are two main measures of glyceamic control:

Blood Glucose Level - This is the usual reading one gets through self testing using a home blood glucose monitor and is expressed in the UK as mmol/l.

HbA1C - This measures how much glucose attaches to a specific type of molecule in our blood called heamoglobin and effectively is measure of the average level of glucose in our blood over the three months immediately preceeding the test. This is expressed as a percentage.

According to the latest UK guidelines, T2 diabetics should aim for a maximum HbA1C score of 7.5% and blood glucose levels between 4 - 7 mmol/l. for any reading taken first thing in the morning before any food is taken (fasting blood glucose level), and blood glucose levels of no more than 8.5 mmol/l for any reading taken two hours after any meal.

Some of us on this site believe that these targets are insufficiently tight to prevent long term diabetic complications and aim for targets which are much lower and as close as possible to non diabetic. However as newly diagnosed you should aim to reach the above guideline targets. Once you have achieved these, you could consider a more aggressive approach if you wish.

So what should you do to achieve the targets. You need to adopt lifestyle changes that will assist you in the long term to gain control over your diabetes.

Diet and Nutrition. What you eat,how much you eat and how often you eat will have a direct bearing over your blood glucose levels. In particular the quantity and type of carbohydrates you eat will be particularly relevant. Carbohydrates are divided into sugars and starches such as rice, pasta, potatoes, and cereals. Both types of carbs are converted into glucose when consumed. You should try to avoid sugars (only have sugar as a rear treat not as a regular indulgunce) and limit your intake of starches to quantities that will keep your blood glucose levels within the above limits.

In order to limit your carbs effectively you will need to learn how to count them and you will also need to start self monitoring your blood glucose level and keep a food diary. By testing before and two hours after a meal you will be able to educate yourself on what foods you should avoid or restrict in order to keep your glucose under control.

You should increase your level of physical activity. Walking is very good in this respect and you should aim for about half an hour per day.

If overweight, you should aim to lose weight. Fat is much more insuline resistant than muscle so reducing weight and increasing body muscle has a beneficial effect on glyceamic control.

You should also try to avoid highly stressful situations as stress also causes glucose levels to rise.

With regards to drink, this should not be taken in excess as alcohol lowers blood glucose and in excess could cause hypocglycaemia. I believe that a couple of glasses of red wine per day, especially if taken with food, is meant to be an antioxidant and good for you. :)

Once again wellcome and apologies if my reply ended up being a bit long.

Regards

Pavlos

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Hi SWSOK1,

I am a 53 yeasr old T2 diagnosed 6 months ago with a fasting BG of 13. I think you need to take advice, but the normal acceptable range for fasting BG is 4 to 7. I am a little confused that you have been diagnosed with full blown T2 with such marginal results, without confirmation via a glucose tolerance test or an HBA1C test (gives a figure of average BG over the last 8-12 weeks).

As for the pessimistic session with the nurse, the NHS are struggling to get their message across as 80% of diabetics fail to gain acceptable control and a large part of the problem is lack of commitment by the diabetics themselves, so their psychological tack is to frighten you to death in order that you will take the condition seriously (it worked for me!!!).

The 18 week wait for the dietician is diabolical!. I would strongly advise you to cut right down on carbohydrate intake, especially refined carbs - Bread, potatoes, Pasta, Rice and cereals and of course sweets, cakes, pastries etc. Read through the site and you will find lots of advice.

Most on here would advise you to test frequently 1. to ensure you are gaining control 2. to see what effects certain foods are having on your blood glucose.

For the record, I drink alcohol, but never have more than 2 pints at a social function due to the carb content, so usually drink red wine or gin and slimline tonic :D . For a condition which requires your major organs to be nice to you, then if 6-8 pint sessions were part of your drinking agenda, then now is the time to make a change!!.

I am sure that further support will follow, so watch this space!.

Al the best Steve.

Katharine

You have been given good advice by our previous posters. Get a meter and learn how much or how little carbohydrate you can get away with.

Normal blood sugar levels are 4.6 fasting and pre -meals and you should be aiming to have a post meal blood sugar of ideally less than 8 one hour after you finish your meal.

In my experience NHS dieticians are not that helpful in giving advice that helps people control their bloods sugars to the extent that is needed to prevent complications. I wouldn't be in a rush to see her. Blood sugars respond very quickly indeed to reducing sugars, starches and high amounts of sweet fruits/juices in the diet and wouldn''t be the least bit surprised if your blood sugars were absolutely normal by the time 18 weeks comes along.

welshtony

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi

Before I start, I'm just going to say that I'm not advocating my lifestyle, but as we are similarly aged and sexed, and you have asked one of the questions that was of burning interest to me, when I was diagnosed T2 Aug 2008, I'm passing on my experiences.

This forum is great for advice and case studies. But you will soon learn the truism that YMMV (your mileage may vary). We are all different, and even superficial similarities may not be good predictors for others.

The question was "can I still drink wine/beer?" Whereas I was (reluctantly) prepared to try and change my diet, and to reintroduce exercise into my life, I was very reluctant to change my complete lifestyle, which has always revolved around far more alcohol than the guideline 28 units for males. I'd say my average would be nearer 50, but spread mainly over Fri-Mon, in line with my general social calendar.

I love real ale and good wines, and would like to keep enjoying them as long as I can! But, a pint of ale is about 12g of carbs, versus a glass of dry white at 2gm. So I have changed my balance, and drink more dry white, often diluted with sparkling water, after starting the day/evening on beer.

After diagnosis, I soon bought into the lower carb philosophy generally, as I wanted to stay on the "diet and exercise" regime as long as possible, and was actually quite pleasantly surprised to find that alcohol actually has the effect of lowering BG levels. I saw that as a positive! Over the last 15 months, I have managed to:
- shed a net 2 stone (but am still BMI 35, way to go yet)
- cut my Hba1c from 7.2 to 5.6
- work out many foods which spike me (so now, eg, I still often eat chicken kebabs as a weekend meal, but without any bread, and sometimes even eat pizza toppings, leaving teh crust completely!)
- cut my cholesterol readings down, so I'm almost fully back in the "normal range" (waiting for printout of the last set, relying on dr's phone discussion at present).
- got my BP readings back to well in the "normal" range (before, they were usually at the high end)

BUT. I did have one blip, where I am sure that alcohol did drive me to a hypo. Fortunately I was in the company of good friends who knew my T2 diagnosis, and a bar of chocolate quickly got me back to a sufficiently "sober" state (as far as others who didn't know me were concerned, they just thought I was seriously drunk). I have learned from that, and now always make sure I have had a fairly substantial meal before I go out for more than a couple of pints.

I appreciate that a post like this may offend some, and I again stress that I am only passing on my experiences as a case study that may have some relevence to your position. Whatever you decide to do, make sure you test frequently, to ensure that your body reacts in the way you want it to and that you eat and drink the things that help you keep within the guidelines you set for yourself!

If you'd like any more details, I'd be happy to chat via PM.

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Tony,
I still have a drink, but just dont "binge" any more. Funny thing though. Every now and again I go to Wetherspoons for lunch.
I have two pints of real ale and sometimes a double Gin & slimline tonic as well.
I have a meal of 6oz burger with an extra burger, extra bacon and cheese and extra side salad, then I give my bread and chips away.

Done this four times now and my 2 hour post meal BG is always in the 4's ??!!

All the best Steve.

welshtony

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'll have to try that, Steve. I've still got some CAMRA Wetherspoons vouchers somewhere...... i didn't think much of their current menu for low carbing, but hadn't thought of giving the carbs away. Once they're on my plate, they're too tempting!