Injection Sites

baby_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I was wonderng if anybody an recommend an injection sites? I physically can't inject in my arms anymore without causing alot of pain.

I'm injecting in my stomach now but i'm not keen, and with me being at college for a large part of the day injecting in my thighs and bum aren't really an option. any help is apreciated even if its just on how to help my arms recover quicker :)

Thanks very much,

Baby_Angel

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya,
i guess its personal preference, since diagnosis i have only ever injected in my stomach, i really wouldnt be able to inject anywhere else so i cant really help you
sorry :D

steveamos1234

Hi!

What doesn't work for you when injecting in your stomach?

I find it the easiest place to inject without too many issues. I did find that injecting around midway between my side and centre is the most comfortable for me.

The only time I've used my arms is when I get a surprise high that I want to drop quickly, so inject into muscle in my arm, which I find gives a very quick response.

Steve

baby_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

IT's hard to desribe, it just feels really wierd injecting in my stomach. I know this sounds silly because i know my needles are too small, but i feel like i'm going to hit something important. :roll:

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
HI,
Is the pain from the needle or after you inject your insulin?I notice that you are on Lantus, which is very acidic, and is therefore commonly associated with discomfort and pain on injection, for many people. If that's the cause of the discomfort you're experiencing, then maybe you should discuss it with your doctor.
I find that during menstruation my injections are a bit more painful than normal. That's just down to skin sensitivity.
Jus

baby_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Um, Needle i think, the insulin itself dosnt cause pain. Id be willing to say its hitting the same sore spots unintentionally. Thats why im curious about other places to inject while my arms have a well deserved break. I dont want to keep doing it in my stomach for how many months it may take till i can inject in my arms again because i know it'll end up the same way as my arms, really painful. I've got a bit of a problem here methinks.

steveamos1234

Totally understand what you mean! What you're feeling is normal, so don't worry. For me it started off exactly the same.

I use 12.7mm needles which are much longer than most use, and other than an occasional bruise I've never had any problems in the last 13 years.

Try not to worry too much, it's often a lot worse than you think. Eaiser said than done, but keep trying and keep positive as it will turn out better than you might first think.

Steve

steveamos1234

baby_angel said:
Um, Needle i think, the insulin itself dosnt cause pain. Id be willing to say its hitting the same sore spots unintentionally. Thats why im curious about other places to inject while my arms have a well deserved break. I dont want to keep doing it in my stomach for how many months it may take till i can inject in my arms again because i know it'll end up the same way as my arms, really painful. I've got a bit of a problem here methinks.

You may be doing this already, but make sure you avoid using the same site each time you inject.

Steve

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you're replacing the needle fairly regularly and get into a routine, you can find enough sites on your stomach without having to worry. I use the right hand side for lunch, left hand side for dinner and upper thigh (where skin is fairly thick and there's a bit of fat) for breakfast - works fine as breakfast is usually eaten in private.... I dont' take my trousers down in the hotel restaurant though. When travelling, the tummy gets an extra one at breakfast too.

Unless you're stick thin (I'm 6'4" and 13 stone, so on the slim side) you should easily find enough fatty areas around the stomach to be able to cycle the sites and not cause any bruises or hard patches.

A good quick insertion works better for me than a slow one ... the slower you do it the more time there is to think about the needle actually going in and that's when I find I may get problems.

You'll get used to tummy injections the longer you do it.

Sam.

baby_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the advice

:) I'll stick with the stomach injections and try and switch sides.

Baby_Angel

victry77

TBH, I find injecting in my stomach kills me :( I just can't do it. It really hurts, I am very slim, so perhaps this might have something to do with it; but yet I can grab enough fat from my stomach to accomodate an injection, but nah, it takes about five attempts before I can find a spot and even then it blippin's kills :evil:

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I found that for my stomache the trick was to pinch quite a small bit of skin up and then put the needle in just to one side. Let go slowly following down with the pen then inject when flat.
I have not had any problems that way and I found that it never really hurts either... sometimes I dont feel a thing at all.

On top of that I tend to rotate around my stomache in the ways mentioned, dinner one side lunch the other but I also go inside outside, up and down.

I should mention that I only use stomache and arms for the Rapid insulin, I am on Lantus and stick that in my bum or thighs though mostly the former since I bruise like crazy on my legs. I used to do a lot of walking and running so not a lot of fat on my legs and my Endo and DSN both agreed I should probably avoid my thighs, for now at least.

Stick with it and try find your own system for moving your injction points. A friend of mine goes on knuckle poistions of different fingers depending on day of week and a few other things so treats the shape of his hand as a template.

Best of luck

A

sunflower333

Dislikes
Being Diabetic
I've not had diabetes very long (since July) but already the injections are starting to hurt. I change positions to arms, thighs, bum and stomach, but the arms have started to bruise or bleed, the thighs are a no goer anymore, just the bum left (favourite place), cos the stomach has now got red marks appearing, is this normal? :(

glitterzoe

yes unfortunatly it is, although some people tend to bleed and bruse easer than others, your insulin will collect fat to it (this is what can sometimes cause lumps) also if you continue to inject in the same place for a long period of time the site becomes scared (scare tissue build up) and this can have drematic results to your insuklin intake (higher doses for instance), when I was diagnosed (30 years ago) I was told to try and do a week in each position so a week in the left leg, a week in the right les and so on so that each area gets at least 8 weeks rest, but like everyone will probably know you get settled in one spot. You will find that if this happens it takes years and years ( I am speaking form experiance) to remove the lumps that build up. Try to variate is all I am saying. Hope this has helped some :p :p :p

neededthat

i too find it sometimes hurts to inject in the belly sometimes hits a nerve (plus a fobia of the needle) but find that if i start to put the needle in and it hurts move to a different position. also i use the smallest needles 5mm. i was given a device you put your pen in, that shoots the needle in :eek:
pritty much a simular way your lancet works(never used it mind you) slow and steady seems better for me

sunflower333

Dislikes
Being Diabetic
after seeing my diabetic doctor, she said this was not normal and changed the needles to 5 from 8, so much better :D