Newcastle 1 Diabetes 0 - H/T

Time2Change

On day 2 of the ND …. Nervous but looking forward to it !!!!!

Some clarifications on the ND guide (http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/documents/StudyRecipes.pdf)

1. The diet states – “No dairy products (even full skimmed milk!)” – How can you do the meal replacement shakes without the milk …. Please don’t tell me you need to use water instead of milk?

1. The diet states: “Eat up to 3 portions of non-starchy vegetables each day (total of 250g each day) (for fibre content) – this will provide another 200 calories” ….. – Does this mean 750g Total throughout the day ….. or does it mean 250g total ? ….. I mean I have tried putting some veg on a scale and 250g is nothing more than a stem of broccoli!

1. The diet states: “Vegetables allowed (at least 240g per day ~ i.e. 3 portions per day)” – I love some of the veg on this list. For example Sprouts. I have a 500g bag of sprouts which has 200kcal on the label. The “g” is misleading …. The same can be said for the mixed peppers ….. is there something I am just not picking up on ?

Some general questions for others of you who did this:

1. Can you exercise and if so how much ? - The wife thinks I should have increased calorie intake because I do T25 each day (look it up on youtube) you think this is appropriate ?

1. Can you drink coffee ?

1. Can you drink more water than the prescribed 3 litres of water ?

Time2Change

Wow ..... this diet challenges but sends you down different and unusual paths.

Did my 3 shakes, water and a homemade soup today but was looking for a wee snack tonight. Related to my questions above I thought sod it .... surely some Brussels and Onions as some finger snacks cant break the bank. WOW ...... really delicious .... I mean I like sprouts in a roast dinner ..... but standalone ?

Basically blanched them up and then through them into a frying pan. Added a dash of apple cider and various herbs and spices including turmeric and curry powder. Then added diced onion a wee bit more vinegar ..... and I mean a wee bit and boom into a wee bowl.

Even the missus thought yummy .... what will we try tomorrow night ?

Time2Change

Now going to brush the teeth .... found myself brushing more often as the mouth isn't its usual self .. .... still adjusting I suppose ....... also got a bottle of mouth wash at work. TBH it also helps suppress the hunger imo .... and keeps that fresh healthy feel.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi @Time2Change

Good luck on your journey it was great for me. This information was based upon what I did for the eight weeks I was on the diet. In that time I lost 16kg, Stopped taking Metformin and my BG's returned to normal range

1. My shakes were made up with water. Some shakes made with milk will still total around 200cals which would be OK
  2. With the Vegetables and condiments etc I measured by calories around 200 cals
  3. I focused on 800cals per day rather than grams
  4. I drank coffee/tea with a dash of skim milk probably about 3 cups per day
  5. I exercised but just walking 10000 steps a day. I think you can do what you like but watch your energy
  6. As much water as you like

Just a tip I came across some constipation 3-4 weeks in. I would look at Psyillium Husks each day to avoid that. Fibre only so don't count in your diet(can just stir into one of your shakes).

Yes it is amazing how creative you become with the veges. I usually went Shakes for Breakfast Lunch and as soon as I got home from work 5-6pm. Then had the veges for Tea around 7ish

Time2Change

Feeling a wee bit down ..... 2 days down and the level at 8 ? ***

I usually can get things down to really low but over recent weeks they have all been 6+ but show very little change post meals ?

I had a root canal done recently and I wasn't 100% convinced it was clear. I wonder if that is affecting me ... it has been playing up around that area.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

I usually can get things down to really low but over recent weeks they have all been 6+ but show very little change post meals ?

I had a root canal done recently and I wasn't 100% convinced it was clear. I wonder if that is affecting me ... it has been playing up around that area.
First week is the hardest. Hang in there. Brussel Sprouts spike me a little. Are you weighing each morning?

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/hello-uk-newcastle-diet-from-texas-progress-thread.90455/

This is a guy who chronicled his progress on the newcastle, diet it is pretty inspiring, http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/hello-uk-newcastle-diet-from-texas-progress-thread.90455/

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Taking your advice. Can you advise how much (g) you took in a day ?
Took 3.5g a day and if I was feeling a little blocked after a day I would take twice a day until happy and back to 3.5g.

Reactions: 2 people

Time2Change

I am wondering if I should maybe not check my levels for a couple of weeks to avoid the distractions.

I suppose the purpose of the diet is weight loss .... not glucose control ..... which is kind of a hard concept to get into the head.

It was tonight the mrs mentioned that there was a fair amount of sugar in the shakes ..... so clearly this would be a contributing factor. Just gets frustrating when I could eat "naughty" and do a bit of excersise and manage to get between 5 or 6 post meal ..... but go at length without any carbs and have a raised level.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I am wondering if I should maybe not check my levels for a couple of weeks to avoid the distractions.

I suppose the purpose of the diet is weight loss .... not glucose control ..... which is kind of a hard concept to get into the head.

It was tonight the mrs mentioned that there was a fair amount of sugar in the shakes ..... so clearly this would be a contributing factor. Just gets frustrating when I could eat "naughty" and do a bit of excersise and manage to get between 5 or 6 post meal ..... but go at length without any carbs and have a raised level.
Actually my mind set was quite the opposite. I saw the BG levels as the major focus with the weightloss second. I checked my FBG and weight as soon as I got out of bed each morning and recorded them. I found that usually one or the other would improve each day which would keep me going (didn't happen every day). I really stuck to the 800 cals (within about 20cals) thru the whole eight weeks and definitely didn't treat or cheat ( on two occasions I had to attend work functions out of town and did have 3 or 4 red wines and the meals that were served but left all carbs on the plate and and did not touch deserts etc)

Time2Change

Actually my mind set was quite the opposite. I saw the BG levels as the major focus with the weightloss second. I checked my FBG and weight as soon as I got out of bed each morning and recorded them. I found that usually one or the other would improve each day which would keep me going (didn't happen every day). I really stuck to the 800 cals (within about 20cals) thru the whole eight weeks and definitely didn't treat or cheat ( on two occasions I had to attend work functions out of town and did have 3 or 4 red wines and the meals that were served but left all carbs on the plate and and did not touch deserts etc)

I am not seeing any great improvements in the GL which is perplexing. I mean with a bit of effort I could get them to normal but recently they have been perpetually high.

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Really not understanding this ..... 6 days in .... and my Morning GL is higher than it has ever been.
How do you take your shakes? Do you spread them evenly out or do you take them in one go? Are on some kind of fasting regiment?

One of the signs of type 2 diabetes is uncontrolloed glucose release from the liver. If you take someone who does not have the genetic for aquiring type 2 diabetes, and they do a period of prolonged fasting, you will see that their glucose levels will have this flat curve, totally controlled, with the liver releasting some glucose when needed. If you took a diabetic and just fasted them for 2 days, you would first see some very different glucose curves from uncontrolled release of glucose from the livers. Most diabetics never notice this, because they eat breakfast first ting in the morning or they are on meds.

So higher bloodsugars in the morning are just a sign of not having get rid of your diabetes yet.

Time2Change

I am also pretty sure I am in ketosis now too for last couple of days with fatigue, dizziness and feeling cold.

How long does this last ?

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I am also pretty sure I am in ketosis now too for last couple of days with fatigue, dizziness and feeling cold.

How long does this last ?
The cold tends to hang around. The fatigue comes and goes and I only had a little dizziness. As matter of interest what was your FBG the morning before you started and what have the range of BFG been for the 6 days? I think you need to hang in there re the BG's as it is only six days out of 56
Cheers