Newcastle 1 Diabetes 0 - H/T

Time2Change

Its the Tesco ultraslim shakes which have a fair bit of sugar but all of them do I believe and others have used them.

Issue is these are morning BG's with the last shake consumed the previous night .... more than enough time you would think to get me back to norms.

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Its the Tesco ultraslim shakes which have a fair bit of sugar but all of them do I believe and others have used them.

Issue is these are morning BG's with the last shake consumed the previous night .... more than enough time you would think to get me back to norms.
https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/dawn-phenomenon-t2d-8/

This is a blog post a doctor specializing in treating diabetes type 2 with fasting and weightloss, should be very relevant for you, he explains the phenomen you are having. Also, if you see the link which I posted above, with the guy chronicling his 60 days newcastle diet, I think his sugars went from diabetic to non.diabetic only on the 7 or 8 day, and this time is probably very individual, so just hang in there!

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta

Time2Change

Struggling to come up with new ideas for making veg/salad interesting ..... its a real struggle. The novelty of spiced sprouts has worn off now lol

I had a morning 6 today which is at least a drop ..... will see how tomorrow goes.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
We can only come down as far as our insulin levels allow. If you have more glucose than insulin you are on an up hill battle. I would try real food and low carb and ditch the shakes. 800 cals of grains dairy starch sugar etc have a very different effect than 800 cals of lean proteins healthy fats and veggies.
That's why weight watchers cracks me up. You can eat all your cals in ice cream bars .....

Reactions: 2 people

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Struggling to come up with new ideas for making veg/salad interesting ..... its a real struggle. The novelty of spiced sprouts has worn off now lol

I had a morning 6 today which is at least a drop ..... will see how tomorrow goes.
Have you tried roasting with gravy? Stir-frying or Soup?
Great news on the movement on the FBG keep it up

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I love salads and so many options. Hot sauce, herbs, mayo mustard mixed dressing. I love my lettuce wraps. BF is usually turkey with mayo and mustard, lunch generally salmon with mayo and hot sauce and dinner is usually salad with Evoo and sea salt. To it the salad was topped with sauted onion scallion mushroom and lamb. Loved it all.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love salads and so many options. Hot sauce, herbs, mayo mustard mixed dressing. I love my lettuce wraps. BF is usually turkey with mayo and mustard, lunch generally salmon with mayo and hot sauce and dinner is usually salad with Evoo and sea salt. To it the salad was topped with sauted onion scallion mushroom and lamb. Loved it all.

Probably not a 200 calorie meal though.
More suited for the low carb forum, rather than the low calorie.
The shakes will be fine, and the Newcastle Diet seems to not work so well when it's changed.
The op's BG is on track.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Probably not a 200 calorie meal though.

I imagine it was close. 2 oz lamb with all the fat trimmed and 1 t olive oil with 2 romaine lettuce leaves chopped. It was 1 mushroom and about a tsp each onion and scallion. But sorry, I wasn't thinking about which thread I was on. I would never have a slim fast shake with all those carbs and preservatives. I was trying to show real food might be better. My mistake.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I imagine it was close. 2 oz lamb with all the fat trimmed and 1 t olive oil with 2 romaine lettuce leaves chopped. It was 1 mushroom and about a tsp each onion and scallion. But sorry, I wasn't thinking about which thread I was on. I would never have a slim fast shake with all those carbs and preservatives. I was trying to show real food might be better. My mistake.

When you work out the amount of calories, it may seem a high percentage of carbs, but it's still a low amount,
And it does seem to give better results if the pancreas is working during the Newcastle Diet, without the carbs it may not 'recover' so well, from experiences on here.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is Quorn a big No No ? ..... I suspect that you are to avoid all protein too ?

It wasn't in the original, and I think it's mentioned somewhere that protein is to be avoided. Probably as it uses up calories from the vegetables allowance, more than anything I suspect.

Reactions: 3 people