Type 2 Unusually high blood sugar

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all. Since coming off a short course of steroids 9 days ago, my blood sugar levels don't seem to have gone down as expected. I realise steroids can increase readings but I would have hoped they would have come down again by now. I haven't changed my diet in any way, but I haven't been feeling too well which I've put down to my body readjusting to making it's own cortisol again. Either that or the auto-immune disease I have is still flaring up and my BS is responding to that?

Any ideas folks? Getting a bit freaked out now......:eek:

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to do what I would like to be able to do
Hi, I'm on sliding scale steroids for unrelated diabetes conditions, this happens to me all the time.....I have to just keep testing and adjusting!!! Been on steroids so long now that I no longer can come completely off as have adrenal insufficiency,due to the constant use.......not feeling well can upset the levels also...
Hope you feel better soon.

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks axle, it's a pain isn't it? I've been cutting out more and more carbs to try and shift it down, but it doesn't seem to be working! Just have to hope it's a short term thing I guess.

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I really hope it is for you.....for me even cutting carbs to minimum has no effect on my weight, but then diabetes is just on my list of "life's challenges" steroids are life's double edged sword,you need them to help certain conditions but then they cause problems!!!!!
Wishing you well....

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really hope it is for you.....for me even cutting carbs to minimum has no effect on my weight, but then diabetes is just on my list of "life's challenges" steroids are life's double edged sword,you need them to help certain conditions but then they cause problems!!!!!
Wishing you well....

Thank you. I fear I may have to go back on them anyway.

All the best to you too. x

axle 222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you....like said when I go back up to 20 mg plus a day I just test and test and test,then when I get back to base level of 15mg a day it settles a bit.... I'm type 2,but never been on tablets(due to problems with gut) so I just adjust insulin to compensate......
Good luck with you B.G.......

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Hi know how you both feel steroids can't live with them can't live without them. @Dizz I do hope you don't have to go back on them. I was first prescribed them thirteen years ago and the docs just kept stepping up the dose till I was on 40mg a day for a few years. Since then have been started on Azathioprine another Immunosuppressant which has allowed me to step down my dose of steroids to 15mg a day but neurologist says that's as low as I can go and some times have to increase the dose . If your condition flairs up again are there no viable alternatives it may be worth finding out.

As you where on a short course there shouldn't be too much problem producing you own cortisol again and as you say that could be messing up your BG levels.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dizz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi know how you both feel steroids can't live with them can't live without them. @Dizz I do hope you don't have to go back on them. I was first prescribed them thirteen years ago and the docs just kept stepping up the dose till I was on 40mg a day for a few years. Since then have been started on Azathioprine another Immunosuppressant which has allowed me to step down my dose of steroids to 15mg a day but neurologist says that's as low as I can go and some times have to increase the dose . If your condition flairs up again are there no viable alternatives it may be worth finding out.
Thanks John, I hope not too. I've got a CT scan a week on Monday, so will see after that. It's my lungs that are mainly affected and I know there are a few other drugs that can be used so will discuss it with my consultant when I get to see him. It's nice to talk to others who are affected here - although I wouldn't wish it on anyone - but at least I don't feel so alone.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
No there's no need to feel alone there is always someone here who understands what it's like.:)