9 Bars and Low Carb Diet Question

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat ( yeah...protein in general ..I'm screwed ) but I am eating it now. Mornings, studying, crowds, Phobias a-plenty including vomiting, flying, travel in general actual, crowds, the outside (lol)
Hi folks... Not sure which thread I read it in but it was on here, and 9 bars were suggested as a breakfast bar alternative. I went shopping today and purchased a couple, but having got them home there does seem to be a fair amount of carbs in them. Am I missing something or did I dream that i read it lol. Secondly and probably more importantly, I am on a strict low carb diet as of today ( haha ) just recently diagnosed. My partner wants to support me making the change and cutting out carbs but he is quite over weight and Im concerned the bacon, eggs, fatty type foods I will be eating...full fat milk, cream etc might do him more harm than good? Any thoughts would be much appreciated x

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I eat 9 bars, (individual bars) the carb content is about 14.? per bar. I have a box of five and these are slightly smaller in size 40g, so the carbs for one is 10.7g. If you like them, maybe you could cut one in half.

Reactions: 5 people

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find them extremely filling and can only manage half a one - they are mainly seeds and nuts so no fast acting carbs. Don't touch my bs

Cat0409_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My OH is also joining me, he too is non - diabetic and overweight. He has lost a little weight and has had other benefits for him. He however is suffering badly from no sugar and no carbs. He is constantly whining. Drives me mental but I just get on with it.

Let him join you in the journey and forget all the "facts" you have been told in the past. You don't need to get your carbs from flour based products and rice etc. Our bodies are quite capable of using fats for good.

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would try a 9 bar and monitor carefully what it does to your bg. Maybe test every 20 mins for an hour or two.

Most people seem to find that the particular nut seed combo has minimal bg impact.

Reactions: 2 people

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat ( yeah...protein in general ..I'm screwed ) but I am eating it now. Mornings, studying, crowds, Phobias a-plenty including vomiting, flying, travel in general actual, crowds, the outside (lol)
I eat 9 bars, (individual bars) the carb content is about 14.? per bar. I have a box of five and these are slightly smaller in size 40g, so the carbs for one is 10.7g. If you like them, maybe you could cut one in half.

I will do that then, I was struggling to try and think what to eat for breakfasts so that seems ideal and easy, I start of Metformin tomorrow so do want to eat something before i take it incase it makes me feel icky! Thank you!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The bars are gluten free, as I am coeliac, I love seeds :hungry:

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I would try a 9 bar and monitor carefully what it does to your bg. Maybe test every 20 mins for an hour or two.

Most people seem to find that the particular nut seed combo has minimal bg impact.

Hi, I don't have a monitor yet, I was only diagnosed this past week. Blood sugars have been between 11 and 18.7 on blood fasting and finger prick tests at the drs, and the test they do to look at your average over the past 3 months ( cant remember the name ) came back as 90 so I know I have got a lot of work to do. I do have some DiaStix here i bought though, though I am told they aren't as reliable as the blood monitors. I will get one. x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I will do that then, I was struggling to try and think what to eat for breakfasts so that seems ideal and easy, I start of Metformin tomorrow so do want to eat something before i take it incase it makes me feel icky! Thank you!

Just see how you get on with it and watch your BG. I buy mine from Tesco, £2.50 per box, they were on offer for £2 a couple of weeks ago.
Good luck and with the Metformin too.

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I find them extremely filling and can only manage half a one - they are mainly seeds and nuts so no fast acting carbs. Don't touch my bs

Not tried them yet, tomorrow morning will be my first :D .. I do love seed so Im hoping i like them. The one i got was the peanut variety, I don't know if there is a difference in the carbs between them all. x

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My OH is also joining me, he too is non - diabetic and overweight. He has lost a little weight and has had other benefits for him. He however is suffering badly from no sugar and no carbs. He is constantly whining. Drives me mental but I just get on with it.

Let him join you in the journey and forget all the "facts" you have been told in the past. You don't need to get your carbs from flour based products and rice etc. Our bodies are quite capable of using fats for good.

I am giving him a few additional things to myself, like i dd steak and roasted veg earlier and in the roasted veg there were a few wee potatoes so I obviously wasn't going to have those but he did. Interesting to know the facts aren't really very factual. Im learning so much and I've only been on here two days! Thank you!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not tried them yet, tomorrow morning will be my first :D .. I do love seed so Im hoping i like them. The one i got was the peanut variety, I don't know if there is a difference in the carbs between them all. x

There is a slight difference and also a fruit one, sultana's, which I didn't like and this one is higher in carbs

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't eat them on a very strict LCHF diet (e.g. if you eat as low as 20-30g carbs a day) as they'd take too much out of the daily carbs allowance which should be coming mainly from green or leafy vegetables . But if a reduced carb diet has room for them then it's a matter of using a meter to check.

And don't take any notice of warnings about fatty and oily foods, it's the high carbohydrate ones that can actually be the problem. Fats and oils are, and need to be, an essential part of low carb diets as they replace the fuel for the energy you no longer getting from all those carbs: just eat enough of them to stop you feeling hungry after your meals.

Robbity

PS Watch the carbs when you first start taking metformin, as too many in combination with it may have nasty side effects- i.e. the "runs".

Magisham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi folks... Not sure which thread I read it in but it was on here, and 9 bars were suggested as a breakfast bar alternative. I went shopping today and purchased a couple, but having got them home there does seem to be a fair amount of carbs in them. Am I missing something or did I dream that i read it lol. Secondly and probably more importantly, I am on a strict low carb diet as of today ( haha ) just recently diagnosed. My partner wants to support me making the change and cutting out carbs but he is quite over weight and Im concerned the bacon, eggs, fatty type foods I will be eating...full fat milk, cream etc might do him more harm than good? Any thoughts would be much appreciated x
Both myself and my partner are overweight, but have been doing the low carb high fat diet for about 4 weeks. Lots of bacon and eggs, butter on veg, crackling on pork, etc. Both of us have lost 4 kg and his blood sugar has come right down to much better levels. Hope that helps.

Reactions: 6 people

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Both myself and my partner are overweight, but have been doing the low carb high fat diet for about 4 weeks. Lots of bacon and eggs, butter on veg, crackling on pork, etc. Both of us have lost 4 kg and his blood sugar has come right down to much better levels. Hope that helps.

Brilliant! Hopefully it will do the same for us too! Thank you. X

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am giving him a few additional things to myself, like i dd steak and roasted veg earlier and in the roasted veg there were a few wee potatoes so I obviously wasn't going to have those but he did. Interesting to know the facts aren't really very factual. Im learning so much and I've only been on here two days! Thank you!

The thing you need to be careful about with your boyfriend is that he not pick the "best" of both worlds - high carb AND high fat. The combination is worse than either one alone. (So careful withe the "few wee potatoes" or carrots, or rice, etc.) I have that issue with my spouse who keeps snagging my nuts (and is now complaining she is gaining weight and that I should stop bringing high fat things home . . . to which my response is that she'd be fine eating my high fat foods if she would eat the low carb diet she is supposed to be eating, as a fellow diabetic).

Magisham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The thing you need to be careful about with your boyfriend is that he not pick the "best" of both worlds - high carb AND high fat. The combination is worse than either one alone. (So careful withe the "few wee potatoes" or carrots, or rice, etc.) I have that issue with my spouse who keeps snagging my nuts (and is now complaining she is gaining weight and that I should stop bringing high fat things home . . . to which my response is that she'd be fine eating my high fat foods if she would eat the low carb diet she is supposed to be eating, as a fellow diabetic).
My partner can't eat carbs because there aren't any in the house! I'm depriving myself as well as him as I wouldn't have the heart to munch a nice piece of bread when he can't. At least I'm losing weight!

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My partner can't eat carbs because there aren't any in the house! I'm depriving myself as well as him as I wouldn't have the heart to munch a nice piece of bread when he can't. At least I'm losing weight!
My spouse knows how to shop, so that routine doesn't work. She also has no ability to restrain herself from eating - hence the problem with any high fat food I keep around so I always have something to top off the day with if I have hit my carb and protein caps. Hence the double high-carb/double-fat whammy for her.

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So long as you are still eating carbs, it is very hard to lose weight. Carbs are the first food to be processed in the digestion. Once they are digested they turn on the "Im hungry cravings". It is far easier to stick with the fats and proteins because they take longer to digest and do not trigger the "Im hungry cravings" as much. Contrary to popular medical beliefs, eating a fatty diet has improved my cholesterol levels. I eat butter, bacon, eggs, double cream, nuts, avocados, full fat greek yoghurt (if you like yoghurt), full fat cheese, full fat pate etc. Do not swap out the full fat foods for low fat ones, they are no good for you,cut out the potatoes, rice,bread,pasta. You will need less food when you eat full fat foods because you feel full. I know this all sounds like we are mad and its going against most dieticians recommendations but its working for us. And quite a few forum members have been doing it for years.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bear in mind, 9 bars have the about 2 teaspoons of sugar per bar, let alone the rest of it in the form of carbs.
They are about the equivalent of 4 chunks of cadbury's dairy milk.