Morning Munchies.....

Suzieblue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wonder if anyone else has this problem in the mornings ? I've recently changed to a LCHF diet and find myself constantly hungry in the mornings until around lunchtime, I used to start the day with the obligatory white toast and butter with Marmite or Peanut Butter (sometimes having a toasted bacon sarnie) and could then last until lunch, though with the occasional bag of crisps if I got hungry around 11ish. Now I find that since changing to a low carb breakfast (oatmeal with fruit or bran flakes again with fruit) I seem to be constantly feeling hungry and have found myself reaching for something sweet (biscuit from the communal works tin..) and nibbling on crispbreads etc on a few occasions, I'm a type 2 taking 100mg of Sitagliptin and 2,000mg of Metformin per day and have managed to get my BS's down to single figures over the past few months but occasionally they have slipped above, Any help and advice please ?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
If you need a nibble, then rather than fight it - how about keeping some low carb snacks available?
Almonds, Avocado, Carrot/Cucumber sticks, Cheese, Hard boiled egg etc.

Reactions: 4 people

Suzieblue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you need a nibble, then rather than fight it - how about keeping some low carb snacks available?
Almonds, Avocado, Carrot/Cucumber sticks, Cheese, Hard boiled egg etc.
Many thanks for that, any suggestions are welcome.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I think if you ate a lower carb breakfast containing fat and protein, your cravings would disappear. Cereal and fruit is not a low carb breakfast.

There is a good video called "butter makes your pants fall off" which explains why we can be hungry after breakfast if it is too high in carb.

Reactions: 3 people

Suzieblue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think if you ate a lower carb breakfast containing fat and protein, your cravings would disappear. Cereal and fruit is not a low carb breakfast.

There is a good video called "butter makes your pants fall off" which explains why we can be hungry after breakfast if it is too high in carb.
Is the video on this site?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I often find that just a mug of creamy coffee is sufficient to keep me going until lunch time. But definitely eat some fat and protein instead of carbs to start your day. You need to remember and take heed of the fat part of your LCHF diet, it's there to fill you up and give you energy. :D (And fat has the great advantage of not affecting your glucose levels.)

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried various lower carb breakfasts but still felt hungry until I swapped to cheesecake! I make a mix of full-fat Philadelphia, whipped double cream, xylitol and vanilla extract and keep it in the fridge for up to a week. 75g for breakfast (with a few berries occasionally) fills me up and also feels indulgent!

Reactions: 4 people

Suzieblue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many thanks to all of you for your suggestions on solving this problem. I've found that at the weekends I don't have this issue as I tend to have a cooked breakfast rather than the oatmeal/bran-flakes/fruit/berries option. I have found that if I do eat toast then the Bergen Soya and Linseed has so far been a better choice when the toast craving kicks in......

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried various lower carb breakfasts but still felt hungry until I swapped to cheesecake! I make a mix of full-fat Philadelphia, whipped double cream, xylitol and vanilla extract and keep it in the fridge for up to a week. 75g for breakfast (with a few berries occasionally) fills me up and also feels indulgent!

RESPECT!!!

This is a good brekkie too:
Low Carb Stracciatella Cake Recipe

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Many thanks to all of you for your suggestions on solving this problem. I've found that at the weekends I don't have this issue as I tend to have a cooked breakfast rather than the oatmeal/bran-flakes/fruit/berries option. I have found that if I do eat toast then the Bergen Soya and Linseed has so far been a better choice when the toast craving kicks in......

My wife finds Spelt Pave (Tesco) is a fantastic bread and does not move her sugar at all.

From next Thursday, when I am 3 months post diagnosis T2, I'm going to try a little just to see how tolerant I am. :)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum