Omelettes

Benluce0uf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HI all,
Please can anyone tell me if you're a type 2 diabetic am I allowed to have a mushroom omelette? Sorry to ask but I'm new to this and don't really understand what I can or can't eat!
Thanks

Reactions: 2 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes. Carbs are the biggest thing that raise bs. Add some asparagus too. Yum

GPM44

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Whilst I'm no expert and in no position to say what you're "allowed" I can say that since my diagnosis in October 15 with hba1c of 103, 2 egg omelette with mushroom or spinach has been my staple breakfast since and hba1c is now 39, so it seems to have helped me?
Hope this is of some use.

Reactions: 4 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A word of advice, don't rely on other people to tell you what you can and can't eat. If you do that, the odds of you succeeding are much lower.

Instead, take a look at the ingredients in the omelet you're planning to make and decide if they fit within the guidelines of whatever diet you're following. It's literally as easy as reading the labels on the packing.

There are several reasons I say this. First, you should understand the diet you're following. That's extremely important in your success that there will be barriers you have to overcome along the way. Second, I can make a mushroom omelet that is less than 5g of carbs, or I can dip it in maple syrup and make it 50g of carbs.

Reactions: 6 people

Benluce0uf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Whilst I'm no expert and in no position to say what you're "allowed" I can say that since my diagnosis in October 15 with hba1c of 103, 2 egg omelette with mushroom or spinach has been my staple breakfast since and hba1c is now 39, so it seems to have helped me?
Hope this is of some use.
Wow, that's really good! Well done, I don't eat meat so I will put lots of veg in with it too!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you testing before and 2h after each meal? That's the easiest way to see the effects different foods have on your blood sugar levels.

Benluce0uf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A word of advice, don't rely on other people to tell you what you can and can't eat. If you do that, the odds of you succeeding are much lower.

Instead, take a look at the ingredients in the omelet you're planning to make and decide if they fit within the guidelines of whatever diet you're following. It's literally as easy as reading the labels on the packing.

There are several reasons I say this. First, you should understand the diet you're following. That's extremely important in your success that there will be barriers you have to overcome along the way. Second, I can make a mushroom omelet that is less than 5g of carbs, or I can dip it in maple syrup and make it 50g of carbs.
Thank you, I was only diagnosed at the end of Jan, so I am struggling abit.

Benluce0uf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you testing before and 2h after each meal? That's the easiest way to see the effects different foods have on your blood sugar levels.
Hi, I haven't been told to test and wasn't given a machine. Is it worth getting one? And do I test every two hours after eating? Thanks

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I haven't been told to test and wasn't given a machine. Is it worth getting one? And do I test every two hours after eating? Thanks
Definitely worth getting one. Lots of us here use the SD Codefree because the test strips are reasonably priced and that's the ongoing cost of testing. At first test when you get up, then immediately before and usually 2 hours after eating. Once you have an idea of what you can eat without raising your blood sugars you can reduce the frequency of testing. For new foods some of us test 1 and 2 hours after eating just to see the impact. If you look on yourself as an experiment I found it made the whole process less tedious. Also because I'm a bit anal I record everything on a spreadsheet so have a food diary and blood sugar reading all in one place (along with medical results, blood pressure and weight). But that's just me!

Reactions: 4 people

Benluce0uf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Definitely worth getting one. Lots of us here use the SD Codefree because the test strips are reasonably priced and that's the ongoing cost of testing. At first test when you get up, then immediately before and usually 2 hours after eating. Once you have an idea of what you can eat without raising your blood sugars you can reduce the frequency of testing. For new foods some of us test 1 and 2 hours after eating just to see the impact. If you look on yourself as an experiment I found it made the whole process less tedious. Also because I'm a bit anal I record everything on a spreadsheet so have a food diary and blood sugar reading all in one place (along with medical results, blood pressure and weight). But that's just me!
Hey, sounds like a good idea, I will invest in a testing machine, and will do a spreadsheet too as I think until I find my feet and know what I'm doing! Only diagnosed end of Jan! Thanks for your help.

Magisham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HI all,
Please can anyone tell me if you're a type 2 diabetic am I allowed to have a mushroom omelette? Sorry to ask but I'm new to this and don't really understand what I can or can't eat!
Thanks
We frequently have omlettes for breakfast. Mostly we put mushrooms, leeks, garlic and spinach in them and 2 eggs per person. The ingredients are all low carb and shouldn't affect your bloods. A protein breakfast will keep you feeling full for longer and the spinach is very good for your liver.

Reactions: 3 people

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Benluce0uf I never used to eat eggs until after i was diagnosed and wanted to control my blood glucose levels using diet, I decided to try low carb and now I eat a lot of omelettes!

I also make them in muffin tins and bake in oven to make omelette muffins which are very portable.

There is a vegetarian section in the forum which might give you some ideas on foods, but as others have mentioned as we are all unique the best way to find out how your body reacts to foods; as in does your blood glucose rise a lot or not); is to test each food (its not as daunting as it first sounds).

Reactions: 5 people

Benluce0uf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We frequently have omlettes for breakfast. Mostly we put mushrooms, leeks, garlic and spinach in them and 2 eggs per person. The ingredients are all low carb and shouldn't affect your bloods. A protein breakfast will keep you feeling full for longer and the spinach is very good for your liver.
Thank you, in mine I put mushrooms, sprouts cauliflower and broccoli.. I'm sure all those are OK to eat! Thanks

Benluce0uf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Benluce0uf I never used to eat eggs until after i was diagnosed and wanted to control my blood glucose levels using diet, I decided to try low carb and now I eat a lot of omelettes!

I also make them in muffin tins and bake in oven to make omelette muffins which are very portable.

There is a vegetarian section in the forum which might give you some ideas on foods, but as others have mentioned as we are all unique the best way to find out how your body reacts to foods; as in does your blood glucose rise a lot or not); is to test each food (its not as daunting as it first sounds).
Thank you, I will look.

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
HI all,
Thanks[/QUOTE
My omelettes can get very messy so I tend to go for a fritatta type thing and get very carried away with the additional ingredients, onions, peppers, courgettes etc that there is precious little room for the eggs. Very yummy! I am also vegetarian and there are loads of recipes on this site and the boards which are suitable.
I also agree with the other posters, get a meter and check your bs levels before a meal and 1 1/2 to 2 hours after to see what effect the foods consumed have on your reading.

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, when you start testing it will help if you know what sort of figures you are looking for. Basically whatever your figure before eating is, the one 2hrs later will ideally be no more than 2 points higher, for example if you are 6 before then no more than 8 2hrs later. If the rise is more than 2 then the food you ate is not really suitable. Hope this helps and welcome to the forum, if you have any questions ask away however "daft" they may seem, we were all in your shoes once :).