recently diagnosed, still a bit confused

sf352

Dislikes
Diabetes!
Hi, was recently diagnosed (3 months ago) with type 2 outside the so called "normal risk category". 28 years old, no family history no underlying medical conditions. This came after 9 months of weight loss, excessive thirst and urination and increased fatigue. I was started on glycizide 30 mg X 2 in the morning times as well as diet restrictions ( cut out sweets chocolate etc) . After 3 months BM is still averaging 11-13 mmol out of bed and mid 20's in the evenings, 29-30 on occasion. GP switched me to glucophage (metaformin) 850mg twice daily. Had some reservations about starting it as I'd read a lot about adverse side effects, extreme weight gain, gastro problems and even lactic acidosis. Aside from a constant metallic taste and a slightly upset stomach it seems ok, but BM still elevated. was wondering how people on it long term were faring out? The GP seems to think I'm overreacting and that it's nothing to be concerned about but I work as a paramedic and have witnessed to effect that diabetes can have in later life so I'm anxious to get a handle on this asap. Was also wondering if anyone had been diagnosed under similar circumstances, i.e. mid to late 20's, no family history, normally fit and healthy? Any help?info would be greatly appreciated.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
How was this diagnosis of type 2 determined?
Your description isn't typical AND, Gliclazide should be helping T2 get lower than double figures.
what dietary restrictions are you following other than cutting out sugar?
Hana

Katharine

It is entirely possible that you really need insulin. Please go back to your doctor with a record of your pre and post meal blood sugars and explain how awful you feel. I think you need referred to a hospital diabetologist pronto- tonto.

dragonlady

hi all ive had all the bloods done just waiting for results but went to docs today and they are 90% sure ive got diabetes my sugar levels were 20.5 yesterday when having a medical but im not sure what type yet.. im scared of needles just need someone who can give me advice on how to deal with it as its a big thing for me thanx for listening

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
dragonlady said:
hi all ive had all the bloods done just waiting for results but went to docs today and they are 90% sure ive got diabetes my sugar levels were 20.5 yesterday when having a medical but im not sure what type yet.. im scared of needles just need someone who can give me advice on how to deal with it as its a big thing for me thanx for listening

Hi Dragonlady.
Welcome to the forum. Have a good look around and if you have any questions just ask. There is usually someone with an answer. A good place to start is in the 'Greetings and Introductions' and tell us something about yourself once you know more about what type of Diabetes you have. That helps us to understand you better. Then elsewhere ask your questions or give out advice. We are always learning from others here.

frenchkittie

dragonlady said:
.. im scared of needles just need someone who can give me advice on how to deal with it as its a big thing for me thanx for listening

Don't worry about the needles dragonlady. If it comes to it, and you do need to inject insulin (which is by no means certain) then you should find that after the initial aversion, it's simple and painless.

The needles for insulin pens are so fine and tiny nowadays that they really don't hurt at all. I don't know if you have ever plucked your eyebrows... well it hurts less than that :)

Believe me, I'm a right big girl's blouse when it comes to injections, the thought of having to inject myself was my biggest fear when I found out I was diabetic, but in reality it's a piece of cake.

FordPrefect

frenchkittie said:
dragonlady said:
.. im scared of needles just need someone who can give me advice on how to deal with it as its a big thing for me thanx for listening

Don't worry about the needles dragonlady. If it comes to it, and you do need to inject insulin (which is by no means certain) then you should find that after the initial aversion, it's simple and painless.

The needles for insulin pens are so fine and tiny nowadays that they really don't hurt at all. I don't know if you have ever plucked your eyebrows... well it hurts less than that :)

Believe me, I'm a right big girl's blouse when it comes to injections, the thought of having to inject myself was my biggest fear when I found out I was diabetic, but in reality it's a piece of cake.

Can only agree with frenchkittie here I used to have a real thing about needles but I now inject myself with byetta twice daily, its the same needles as used for insulin and you can barely feel them, tbh finger pricking is more painful and that is nothing either.