First Test - SD Codefree

mizloco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK so after recently being diagnosed T2 and listening to you guys I have got my new SD Codefree kit. There were easy instructions for a newbie to follow making the set up fairly easy and didn't take long to do.
I managed to complete my first fasting test which was 7.2 and I will test again two hours after breakfast and each meal, is that correct? Also which app do you use to track?

Reactions: 6 people

AllanE

Hi mizlco

I use the app Glucose Companion from the Apple Store. Screenshot below. I find it is a good starting one.
54450bd6f5dd7dfabbbbb7c7fb59ffe9.jpg

Reactions: 2 people

mizloco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh wow I'll remember not to have a melt down if I test after a chinese

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Well Done @mizloco

You are now able to see how different meals and food affect your levels and take action to change that. You are in control.
I would test fasting daily as your benchmark to how you are tracking. For meals check as you are about to start the meal and then two hours later. If you have a large spike you may need to eliminate that meal or some of the carb from it from your diet. If there is no spike you can put that meal in the book and need not test it again

Good luck and let us know how it is going and any questions you have on the food/readings

mizloco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sadly glucose companion is iPad or iPhone only, not yet on Android. Great reviews though.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Sadly glucose companion is iPad or iPhone only, not yet on Android. Great reviews though.

There are several blood glucose trackers available on Android. I had one from Menari (who make my Glucomen meter) but I just got fed up with transferring the information. (You wouldn't need a Glucomen meter to use the App' though.)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Recording Fasting bgl in the morning used to be the yardstick used by GP's to track our progress until the HbA1c test became readily available. There is a phenomenon called Dawn effect that seems to be quite common, which is where the liver gives a boost of glucose into the blood stream just before we wake up to provide us with enough energy to get up. This tends o raise the bgl in the morning when compared to nightime reading, even though nothing extra has been eaten or drunk. This can give a confusing and 'false' impression, and may not set you up for a good mood in the day. it is quite natural for this to occur, and for me fbgl is the one reading in the day that I drop when I run short of strips.

For me i take 3 important readings, just before my main meal, 2 hours after the meal to catch the carb spike, and 4 hours after the meal for the protein. fat spike, This last reading is also my nightime reading.
i average my readings over at least a week since this reduces my diet mistakes from swamping my daily reading, so I don't get too paranoid about the peaks and troughs. i can also plot my averages to see if there are any trends developing.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, I think at the outset, you would be best served by testing your fasting level - as soon as you get up in the morning, then after breakfast, then before and after your other two meals.

Once I had a handle on things, I then focused on fasting and main meals for a bit longer.

I think many people find it relatively easy to get a grasp on main meal scores, as it's relatively easy to choose main meals where there is some form of meat, plus leafy veg or a salad. May folks, in my observation anyway, find lunchtimes and snackier meals trickier to fathom, as they're often eaten away from home, for example, lunches at work. They also, historically, can have focused quite carb heavy parts; bread in a sandwich or bun with a burger.

Initially testing can be heavy on the fingers and on the pocket, but it can ease up quite a bit once you get a handle on things.

Just on a point of detail, the 2 hours after test for your meal will usually show your blood scores beginning to come down from your peak rise. For most people, on most foods, their peak is at 60-90 minutes after eating. Very high fat and very protein heavy meals can be much, much slower to peak, and some cuisines, such as Chinese can be just bonkers to follow. Many people have more than one spike from on pportion of rice, but that's beginning to get too complicated for this stage of your testing.

Good luck with it all. :).

mizloco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My reading 2hrs after breakfast was 7.6 so a 0.4 increase. At lunchtime I started to feel lightheaded, wobbly and very intolerant so I checked my BG and it was 5.6 but should I feel that bad? I had some lunch and I am just about feeling normal again.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have seen reports that the SD Codefree tends to read higher than many other meters/ Mine consistently reads about 2 mmol/L higher than my NEO, so it may be that yours is similar, in that case your reading of 5.6 could actually be around 4 or less when you compare it to the published limits that Daisy1 posted in the other thread. Thus it is possible your wobbles was a slight hypo. Were you low carbing for breakfast?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mizloco - if you are new to all this and working to bring your numbers down you can sometimes feel a bit off at a perfectly reasonable blood score just because your body isn't used to it.

If that's the case it usually eases up pretty quickly if you just carry on with your new way of eating. If you feel rough and want to "treat it", just try something like a cup of tea, with milk, as that will bring you up a little without undoing your good work.

S

serenity648

I have orders an SD codefree. It should come tomorrow. I dont have a smartphone, is that a problem? I am thinking of using an old fashioned pen and notebook to record my blood sugars and what i eat.