Driving and hypo;s need advice please

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
My car (from motability) represents my only chance to have some independence in my life so without it I would be trapped at home. I never drive on motorways, I never drive in the dark, I never drive in peak times and I do about 2-3 6 mile journeys within the town I live a day.
I will just have to see what happens when I get the questionnaire and send it back.

I have just filled in the questionnaire and it asks if you have black outs which you do. It also asks if you are hypo aware which you are not.
As to only driving a short distance that's a very silly and selfish reply IMHO. A near neighbour drove 5000 meters to the village shop the other day, he isn't fit to be on the road and has been told so. Unfortunately a car driver and motorcyclist were also on the road at the same time both had to take evasive action because J lost control of his mobility car whilst coming out of the junction near the shop. What's even worse is he had no idea what he had done and still denying the incident. The whole community is more than hopeful that the police will take him off the road as will his GP.

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
BooJewels I had this as a newly-diagnosed type 1. I stayed off driving for a month till my eyes were back to normal.

About the main thread - I experienced a disconcerting loss of hypo warning symptoms while on steroids. I had to check blood glucose much more frequently, I would suggest the OP does too and stops driving until the situation is resolved.
I suspect OP's problem is she is not on enough steroid, hence why she can not help herself with the hypos.

arniemouse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi thought you might like an update my licence has been revoked from tomorrow on the grounds of '2 hypo's requiring assistance in a year rule'. Still trying to get head around how I am going to manage to get out of the house but at least I have done the right thing.

Reactions: 2 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi thought you might like an update my licence has been revoked from tomorrow on the grounds of '2 hypo's requiring assistance in a year rule'. Still trying to get head around how I am going to manage to get out of the house but at least I have done the right thing.
Thank you for bringing us up to date. As a driver myself I appreciate that this is not easy for you, and I hope you will find support to get the things you need to put in place. Can you get groceries delivered? My wife and I have non-matching mobility scooters that we use in our town for shopping to save on parking and taxi's. But we are on the outskirts of town, so it is easy for us. You did say your car journeys were within a few miles, and our buggies do 20 miles on a single charge. Just an idea.

I hope you find what is needed to stop the hypo's. Then you should be able to re-apply for a short term licence. I wish you all the best.